Islam/Christianity Question.

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hello everyone,
I would just like to know from someone who is more knowledgeable about Islam, what are the "questions" that Islam leaves "unanswered", that Christianity answers?

I have recently been reading a lot about Muslims who converted and became Christian, and the majority of the stories said that "Christianity answered the questions that Islam left unanswered" and that "there is evidence in the Qur'an that Christianity is the path but the Qur'an tries to undermine it". Can someone tell me what these are?

What does the Kor'an say about Jesus and how is it different from The Bible? I do know that it says that Jesus did not die on the cross (that it was Judas), but what else?

What does the Kor'an say about Christians and followers of other religions? I have heard that it says different things about them in different sections.

What does the Kor'an say about forgiveness and unconditional love in comparison with the Bible?

Essentially the question I would like to have answered in detail is, what would a Muslim see in Christianity that would be so different and "better", so much that they would change their religion?

I am so sorry these questions are very stupid but I don't know who else to ask.

Comments

• Interesting topic but I doubt you will get the perfect answer here. I would think the best answer is to keep reading the Bible not to be distracted by other readings, talk to Abouna and if you really... really.... really interested you could join a theological class.

• coming from a former muslim myself well i can answer or try to answer any questions you have just pm me
  • Well I have some knowledge about this

there are a few verses in the Koran where Mohammed tells moslims to treat christians well
    as the people of the book also I thnk he refers to Egypt and talks about the honest copts, the monks, etc.

but then there are other places where it says to fight kafirs (unbelievers) until the death

so it depends really

but remember Mohammed himself got married to a Coptic girl named Mariam
  • that's a cool site, minagir, i have been on it before.
    i read the qu-ran nearly 4 yrs ago ( have been a Christian many years) so its a bit hazy but this is what i remember. maybe bigee can correct me if i make a mistake.
    they think of Jesus as just a prophet, as a very good person, but one who did not believe himself to be God and thus can't save anyone. nor can God, because he is too distant and doesn't always care about man's problems. so when they read this they can't understand how such a powerful God can create so many beautiful things and yet be unwilling or unable to sort out the main problem of man's sin. they think he did not die. the believe that judas died in his place and his face was changed to look like Jesus was from one of the hadith, not the qu-ran.

mostly Christians and Jews should be tolerated, but not befriended, but atheists or people from other religions can be ruled/intimidated. it really depends how u interpret it, it CAN be quite a peaceful book, but not necessarily. many people think God will punish the Jews collectively at the end of time, and some think this includes Christians as well.
    a muslim man can marry a Christian/Jewish woman as long as she shuts up and doesn't teach the kids her religion. obviously this only works for those who are more or less atheist but practice their religion once or twice a year in order to party with their relatives.
    muslim women have to marry muslim men as it's assumed the man takes responsiblity for teaching the kids.

i didn't see much in the qu-ran about forgiveness, but it is recommended in the hadith that people should forgive their brothers. God is described as 'often-forgiving' but it's really dependent on if he is in a good mood. no promises here.

i didn't see anything about unconditional love, it was all conditional (on man's behaviour etc). so also people's relations with each other can depend very much on circumstances and so sometimes revenge and justice is prized over forgiveness.

i think what the Bible has that is the most beautiful is the continued, undeserved, unmeasured love of God show to us sinners in the gift of our blessed Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, light for light, true God from true God, who suffered, died and rose again to restore us to full and perfect fellowship with God our source and our creator.
  • There is this man, he's the son of one of the leaders of Hamas, who recently converted to Christianity. When asked what appealed to him about Christianity was the verse that said love your enemies, bless those who curse, and pray for those who spitefully use you. This, I think, is an essential notion missing in Islam, as is the issue of unconditional love, as mabsoota mentioned.
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father+ and of the Son+ and of the Holy Spirit+, the One True God. Amen.[/glow]

This is one of the most beautiful things in Christ we have and that is the freedom to question. Doubt is not a bad thing if it leads us closer to the Lord (look at St. Thomas and how his doubt helped deepen his relationship with Christ)!

St. John of Damascus believed Islam was a heretical version of Christianity! It has both Jewish and Christian elements in it, which then is used to justify the belief of Muhammad as the "Seal of the Prophets". This means he is the last so-called "messenger of God" and that after him there is no more divine revelations. This goes against what the Lord Jesus said in His parable (Matthew 21:33-42) where the workers killed the Masters servants (the prophets) which then had the Master's Son sent to fix the situation and He was killed also! We cannot imagine the Master's vengeance upon hearing all this! This means after the Lord Jesus there are no more Gospels or revelation form God because He sent His own Son, the Wisdom of God! St. Paul says this in Hebrews 1:1-2:

"1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds..." 

So after Son, NO MORE REVELATIONS! I will discuss the other points to your question, ChanetheChannel, in the next post.   
  • Better yet, checkout this website:http://www.answering-islam.org/ . It's very good and well answer your questions. Just remember it's not an Orthodox site, it's Protestant. And for your spiritual edification checkout:http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/ . It's a Chalcedonian website but there's alot of good stuff there to instruct and inspire. Lastly, search for Father Zakariya on Youtube. Even though he's a "hot potato" among many Copts what he explains is good and biblical. Hope it helps!

• This section especially answers who's the Lord Jesus in Islam: http://www.answering-islam.org/Intro/islamic_jesus.html . It gives you all the quranic verses about Him!