Humble

edited December 2008 in Random Issues
Hello
Dear brothers and sisters! Peace to you all!
I wanted your advice.
How can we love people although we can't stand them. when they're annoying and it's hard to love them. What can you do?
This is a bit difficult for me, but I want your opinions.
As God wants us to love everybody, like ourselves.

Also how can we become humble people?

And what if you repented and you didn't no u would die the next day. would God accept you?

Please pray for me my brothers and sisters.

Comments

• Greetings!

Humility, like other qualities should be motivated by true love and respect. Hard as it may be, we must pray to God to open our minds and soften our hearts, especially towards those whom we have difficulty getting along with.

Matthew 5:24
    leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.

Romans 5:10
    For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

Acts 7:26
    The next day Moses came upon two Israelites who were fighting. He tried to reconcile them by saying, 'Men, you are brothers; why do you want to hurt each other?'

Unfortunately, certain modern influences have conditioned our thought and behavior patterns so much that we sometimes don't even realize what's wrong. Examples we see daily are arrogance, road-rage, dress sense, language, disrespect to elders and authority, abuse of freedom in the name of rights,lack of remorse, etc..We are often guilty of prejudice and reacting inappropriately. We just need to look backwards to see how the old saints or even our parents and grand parents conducted themselves in public and in private.

On the other hand, we are sometimes guilty of false humility or put-on modesty, just to get into someone's good books. We do things for appreciation, whether its talking about a charity donation or fasting or whatever.

We should remind ourselves to the presence of the Lord wherever we are. He knows our true motives and content of our hearts and minds. Hence the gift of conscience, which H.G.Bishop Angaelos spoke about in one of his sermons, as a warning mechanism against temptation.

God bless,
    Paulos
  • I think it's important to realize than whomever it is that you can't stand is a daughter or son of the Lord just like all of us. He stand us all, even though we hurt and offend Him everyday. Can you imagine how many times we have a choice between actually speaking to God, the Almighty, the Kind of Kings who is longing to hear our voice, and doing anything else, and we choose the earthly instead of Him??? I mean He gave His life for us and we can't even talk to Him sometimes, although it's not a favour ya3ni to Him, to the contrary, it's we who need it more than anything and He is longing for us to ask so He can give us immeasurable blessings... I mean I think if you think about how little we do for God and how much He does for us, how patient He is with our stupidity and ignorance, how loving He is and caring even when we are the ones who get ourselves into trouble, how comforting He is when we are sad even though we make Him sad everyday by staying in the dark, far away from His light, by choosing to be slaves to the devil...

God is so incredibly kind and merciful, and we should do to others as He does for us, so no matter what someone does and how much you can't stand them, we have done much worse to God, yet He loves us still...

So I would suggest prayer which is our bond with God, and also try to think always, no matter how terrible someone is, you should love, forgive, and be patient with them, for God's sake, to please God for this is His commandment...

God bless you
    Please pray for my weakness
  • Thank you rpm and Godislove260 :)

thank you so much this really does help me.
    May God bless you both and give you both The Heavenly reward.
    Please keep me in you're prayers.
  • I recently like 5 mins ago lol just finished listening to a sermon from Abouna Anthony in D.C. and he said being humble does NOT mean thinking less OF yourself it means thinking less ABOUT yourself. whats the difference thinking less OF yourself is like saying to yourself "i am trash" did God come to save trash of course not so being humble means you don't think about YOUR needs YOUR desires YOUR lusts and etc. When you are humble you realize their weakness compared to God's powere which even the smartest human mind cannot comprehend. We need to go from a black friday attitude to a Good friday attitude. Black friday the day after thanksgiving and everybody is shopping and people are fighting over clothes computers and mesha3ref eh? but its where everyone has the mentality of "everyone for themselves and thinking of yourself." Good Friday...God died for US..ALL OF US...look at the humility HE IS GOD and he chose to incarnate and die on the cross...back then the cross was a sign of despair, criminals, disgrace....but for us it is LIFE, POWER, HOPE, and most of all SALVATION.

ALSO, God said love your enemies...for us it is our nature to hate those who wrong you and persecute...but you KEEP DOING GOOD TO THEM and when God see's that you do GOOD to them NO MATTER WHAT THE SITUATION IS NO MATTER WHAT YOUR ENEMY DOES God will put in your hear the love for this person

God bless...Pray for me and anyone correct me if im wrong
    Copticdeacon
  • But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

I really love this verse... because it can be used in our everyday life... for service... for love for anything! in this case we will put it in love. Love does not just happen, but rather you have to escalate and learn to love, the right way...

step one... you have to first start loving Jerusalem, yourself! love your body, love God's creation in you!

step two... you have to love all of Judea, your family and friends... love them to the point, that if you were to give yourself (which you LOVE) to death, you would do it in a heartbeat! 

step three.. then you have to love all of Samaria, your enemies and foes... Love them as if they were Judea (family and friends) pray for them... if you were to give your life on their behalf, you would do it freely! by that you will be taking a the Christ's model... He gave His life to death, even though many didn't accept Him, he gave it to the people that hated Him, but he still Loved them anyway... yet then accepted Him because of His action. so learn from the Christ, give freely to those who hate you... and love them!

step four... you will love everyone in the world... no matter what, it wont matter how annoying they are... or how much of sinners they are!

these four steps are not a weekly, or monthly thing... its a life time! but they have to go in that order!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of you're advice.
    It was really helpful. You all are great lights in our lives. Continue on with good work!

Your Sister