Forgiveness of Sins...

Shh
edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello all,

In the gospel, (I apologize I don't have exact quote) Jesus tells the apostles that they can now go out and spread the word. He mentions to them that any sins they forgive shall be forgiven, and any sins you retain shall be retained.

This is basically the authority by which our FOC use to take our confessions and forgive us. is this correct?

If that is correct my question is, under what circumstances would Abouna reply and say no you are not forgiven this sin, this is retained. Do they not forgive murder? adultery? greed? is up to each individual Abouna to decide weather or not he going to forgive you your sins? And finally if Abouna doesn't forgive you, can you go to another Abouna and try your luck again, or is that it you are condemned to the fires of hell.

This question has been on my mind for a while. I hope I worded it clearly.

Thank you all for your prayers and support.

God Bless.

Comments

• if someone is just saying their sins just to say it... when they are not attempting to even get rid of it... then the priest has all right not to absolve the person...

• The priest is required to give you absolution. No matter what.
  • to add to what Severus said, there is a huge mistake here, the priest ISN'T the one who forgives, but Christ does. the priest is the connection between you and Christ in confession. so if the person is truly confessing to the priest, technically GOD, the priest gives him the absolution upon the confession.
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=7327.msg96986#msg96986 date=1226405677]
    if someone is just saying their sins just to say it... when they are not attempting to even get rid of it... then the priest has all right not to absolve the person...

[quote author=Severus link=topic=7327.msg96987#msg96987 date=1226406514]
    The priest is required to give you absolution. No matter what.

which one is right?

i always thought that the priest had to give you an absolution.  but as minagir said, God may or may not forgive u right?

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7327.msg97070#msg97070 date=1226444843]
    which one is right?

i always thought that the priest had to give you an absolution.  but as minagir said, God may or may not forgive u right?

+mahraeel+

nooooo... am not saying that. even thought it;s right and wrong in the same time.

what i said is that the priest is not the one who forgives the sins that you've confessed. I am agreeing with Severus. who do you sin to? GOD...so who forgives you?! GOD.

Now the concept of GOd may forgive and may not, is as i said, true and wrong. GOD is Almighty. He can do anything so he can accept not to forgive...BUT, He is a merciful and judge God. He will forgive if the repentance and confession is already, truly there. God goes after the sinner and never leaves him.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7327.msg97081#msg97081 date=1226449303]
    [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7327.msg97070#msg97070 date=1226444843]
    which one is right?

+mahraeel+

nooooo... am not saying that. even thought it;s right and wrong in the same time.

what i said is that the priest is not the one who forgives the sins that you've confessed. I am agreeing with Severus. who do you sin to? GOD...so who forgives you?! GOD.

Now the concept of GOd may forgive and may not, is as i said, true and wrong. GOD is Almighty. He can do anything so he can accept not to forgive...BUT, He is a merciful and judge God. He will forgive if the repentance and confession is already, truly there. God goes after the sinner and never leaves him.

Mina is right. The priest is just our connection to God. he is just a link. Just like how Mina said before.
  • okayy but he has to give u an absolution right?  However, is it up to God whetehr or not he should forive u? or does he forgive u anyway?
    maleesh im sorry for my silly questions..but im learning  and thats what is important.  thanks in advance!!!

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7327.msg97134#msg97134 date=1226525959]
    okayy but he has to give u an absolution right?  However, is it up to God whetehr or not he should forive u? or does he forgive u anyway?
    maleesh im sorry for my silly questions..but im learning  and thats what is important.  thanks in advance!!!

+mahraeel+

yes he does.