Paradise of the Fathers(Bostan el Rohban)

anybody no where i can get the book paradise of the fathers in english

Comments

• You must have found it online www.coptic.net/articles/ParadiseOfDesertFathers.txt I downloaded it but a book would be good if anyone knows where one is to be had
  • i fund a copy online (which was much longer than the one in the link above), if you give me some days ill get you the ilnk
    its PDF format and its written in old english, its a veyr old book taht was scanned so its a bit of a hassel to read
    ill try to find it for you guys.

God Bless
  • thank u very much gregory th sinner
  • [quote author=aidan link=topic=7171.msg94932#msg94932 date=1222883465]
    You must have found it online www.coptic.net/articles/ParadiseOfDesertFathers.txt I downloaded it but a book would be good if anyone knows where one is to be had

Hi Aiden,

Thanks for the link. I was interested in re-reading that book also. Unfortunately, if my memory serves me well, isn't this missing a few more sayings from the desert fathers? It seems a bit shorter than what I read before?

• Hi Aiden,

Thanks for the link. I was interested in re-reading that book also. Unfortunately, if my memory serves me well, isn't this missing a few more sayings from the desert fathers? It seems a bit shorter than what I read before?

Hi there. It does seem short to me. I don't know which is the definitive collection. There is a long collection called Evergetinos published by an Old Calendar Greek monastery in California which is good. I would also recommend The Lausiac History by Palladius. A Coptic site has published a selection of The Sayings of the Desert Fathers with permission from Cistercian publications and lastly Sr Benedicta Ward has edited a collection for Penguin books.

I love all these collections and would like to have a copy of the one Copts tend to read. I suspect a lot of accounts are common to several collections.

God bless
  • [quote author=aidan link=topic=7171.msg94978#msg94978 date=1222971782]

Hi Aiden,

Hi there. It does seem short to me. I don't know which is the definitive collection. There is a long collection called Evergetinos published by an Old Calendar Greek monastery in California which is good. I would also recommend The Lausiac History by Palladius. A Coptic site has published a selection of The Sayings of the Desert Fathers with permission from Cistercian publications and lastly Sr Benedicta Ward has edited a collection for Penguin books.

I love all these collections and would like to have a copy of the one Copts tend to read. I suspect a lot of accounts are common to several collections.

God bless

In fact, Aiden, moreover, the desert fathers (as far as I remember!) didn't have sections on "humility", "purity of heart", "peace"...they just had their sayings. I think!! But, this is a very good idea anyway. Someone spent the time to divide each saying into different virtues. Its very good.

• I've just read a wonderful story from the Evergetinos. A man,Evlogios, sells all he has and undertakes to look after a man with no limbs until he dies. After fifteen years the limbless man becomes dissatisfied much to the bewilderment of his carer. Eventually they ask St Antony to arbitrate. He tells the carer off for considering getting shot of his charge and he tells the man being cared for off for his ingratitude warning both they are endangering their salvation. They both repent and die soon after.

Has anyone come upon this story in other collections? It seems vaguely familiar to me
  • [quote author=aidan link=topic=7171.msg94980#msg94980 date=1222975951]
    I've just read a wonderful story from the Evergetinos. A man,Evlogios, sells all he has and undertakes to look after a man with no limbs until he dies. After fifteen years the limbless man becomes dissatisfied much to the bewilderment of his carer. Eventually they ask St Antony to arbitrate. He tells the carer off for considering getting shot of his charge and he tells the man being cared for off for his ingratitude warning both they are endangering their salvation. They both repent and die soon after.

Has anyone come upon this story in other collections? It seems vaguely familiar to me

Aiden,

Does an incident like that really endanger your salvation? REALLY!???
    I'd love to hear your answer, and obviously any proof if you have it. I mean, we are so full of weaknesses that it seems our very folly can lead us to lose salvation.

Cheers
  • Hi, well the limbless man's ingratitude endangered his salvation. Evlogios had set himself a high task only to be tempted to give up when it became really difficult. Most of us don't have such a calling
  • http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=5429.msg72328#msg72328

there ya go... i knew there wasa thread about it posted here not too long ago

enjoy