Coptic Protests?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
hey everyone,
      the other day me and my church were talking about what should we do to help the situations going on in Egypt with the muslims in the Christians? I saw some things on youtube with coptics protesting about everything going on. Do u think we should take action here in America or Canada ...ect.  IDk if there was already a topic about this but if there was i'd love to read it. Thankyou for the help.

Comments

• I don't think protesting is a good idea. As Christians, we probably should be peaceful and let God fight for us. Maybe raising awareness of it is a good idea but not protesting.

PK
  • i heard they are already doing somthing like protestesting about it, they did it in the US already i think, and in france, and this saturday there doing it in Canada, all because of what happened to the 3 monks in egypt
  • I live in New Jersey. Nothing happened in the US. You guys have to realize that these protests either do nothing or make things worse for the poor Copts in Egypt. I have come to the point that I say that, unless you hold some kind of political position where you can actually do something, leave them alone. When we put the spotlight on them things get worse. Our beloved Pope is in Cleveland and still under treatment. At least wait until we are sure of his health first, then start thinking of protests. In my viewpoint however, they do not serve a purpose. There were several protests in front of the United Nations building itself, and look! Things do get worse. Take my word for it and leave them alone. They don't need for things to get more worse than this (if that's even possible- look at the economic conditions of Egypt alone- they are enough to make half of the country living on the street).
  • so ur saying we need to just sit here and watch our ppl be tortured and tormented...there has to be something we can do...i don't think we should just sit here...but also i don't think we should go overboard..you know?
  • In Melbourne we had a peacful protest and i thought that was quite good, there was chanting of hymns and a speech. I think the most important thing to do is to keep praying to God through the intercessions of all the saints so that our church may grow and be strong.

+Please pray for me+
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=topic=6860.msg92012#msg92012 date=1214883924]
    I live in New Jersey. Nothing happened in the US. You guys have to realize that these protests either do nothing or make things worse for the poor Copts in Egypt. I have come to the point that I say that, unless you hold some kind of political position where you can actually do something, leave them alone. When we put the spotlight on them things get worse. Our beloved Pope is in Cleveland and still under treatment. At least wait until we are sure of his health first, then start thinking of protests. In my viewpoint however, they do not serve a purpose. There were several protests in front of the United Nations building itself, and look! Things do get worse. Take my word for it and leave them alone. They don't need for things to get more worse than this (if that's even possible- look at the economic conditions of Egypt alone- they are enough to make half of the country living on the street).

I dont think "not doing anything" is the best thing to do. And i truly dont believe we need a political position, all we prayer, but just because we pray does not mean we shouldnt do something ourselfs. These protests are to meant to show the world how bad it is for christians in egypt. Because i dont know if youve tryed, but ask any Canadian or American, or ANYONE thats not egyptian how it is for christians to live in egypt and they will say "i dunno, its fine i guess". The world has no clue as to how bad things are for Christians in Egypt. Protesting is the only way to make it known, the more protests, the more likely to get on TV, the more likely people will start to trully see our condition, and the more likely people will help. Along with prayer and fasting, there is bound to be change.
  • [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6860.msg92022#msg92022 date=1214902962]
    [quote author=Christ4Life link=topic=6860.msg92012#msg92012 date=1214883924]
    I live in New Jersey. Nothing happened in the US. You guys have to realize that these protests either do nothing or make things worse for the poor Copts in Egypt. I have come to the point that I say that, unless you hold some kind of political position where you can actually do something, leave them alone. When we put the spotlight on them things get worse. Our beloved Pope is in Cleveland and still under treatment. At least wait until we are sure of his health first, then start thinking of protests. In my viewpoint however, they do not serve a purpose. There were several protests in front of the United Nations building itself, and look! Things do get worse. Take my word for it and leave them alone. They don't need for things to get more worse than this (if that's even possible- look at the economic conditions of Egypt alone- they are enough to make half of the country living on the street).

I dont think "not doing anything" is the best thing to do. And i truly dont believe we need a political position, all we prayer, but just because we pray does not mean we shouldnt do something ourselfs. These protests are to meant to show the world how bad it is for christians in egypt. Because i dont know if youve tryed, but ask any Canadian or American, or ANYONE thats not egyptian how it is for christians to live in egypt and they will say "i dunno, its fine i guess". The world has no clue as to how bad things are for Christians in Egypt. Protesting is the only way to make it known, the more protests, the more likely to get on TV, the more likely people will start to trully see our condition, and the more likely people will help. Along with prayer and fasting, there is bound to be change.

No Meena, only in the states they seem to be ignorant about Coptic Christians. In France, as soon as u say "i am Coptic" - they know immediately you are Christian. The documentaries on TV, and literature highlighting our sufferings are emmense here in France.

• [quote author=Christ4Life link=topic=6860.msg92012#msg92012 date=1214883924]

I agree, they hurt more than they help, believe me I get upset too, and I really want to do something, but protest in western countries (especially when it's held in America) can be really harmful to the copts in Egypt. Once I saw in a protest a copt ASKING AMERICA TO INTERVENE !!!

This is really terrible, since America is not really loved in the Middle East, and when the copts in Amercia ask America to intervene, they are asking for a second Irak, this is really dangerous, since many Muslims in Egypt already think that us copts support the west and america in everything that they do, especially in Israel and Irak (which are considered to be anti-Islam wars...)

So by doing this (protesting) they only show that they don't care about national unity and that they support America's crusade (as Bush so diplomatically stated once...)

The BEST thing for us to do now, is PRAY... God will fight for you while you're quiet, if there was somthing really useful to do in our hands, then by all means, we should do it, but it's not wise to do something which will INCREASE PERSECUTION against Copts..

God Bless
    Please pray for me
  • i personally feel too young to do anything... what can a 16 year old do?
  • Pray... ;)

God Bless
    Please pray for me
  • It's not a good idea to protest...people don't know what is happening they don't know who copts are and i think that with all the problems going on, and people hating the "middle east" so much, i highly doubt America wants to aid in anything.  I mean the economy already sucks, and the US is over 3 TRILLION dollars in debt, so really at this point all we can do is Pray and pray and then pray some more, and when we see a situation where we can directly do something then do it then and there.  

also: People concentrate so much on muslims v. christians...but really my dad was talking to someone that recently visited and my dad was asking about what's happening with the copts and muslims...what the man said was pretty shcoking...
    he said....oh you should see what the copts are doing to the copts...
    hmmmmmm...and as much as i hate to say it...i can see how that could be happening.
  • i don't understand? what are the copts doing to the copts?
  • I personally don't agree with the protest approach. Forgive me, but this is my own personal opinion...not a definitive answer or anything! I think it's easy to forget that the Coptic Church has seen nearly 2,000 years of persecution, hatred and violence; what's happening now in Egypt isn't exactly new by any means. And yet, we're still here now so...how have we made it this far? By the grace of God! Our holy mothers and fathers, the martyrs never took to protesting to remove their persecution - they prayed that our Lord would strengthen them to be able to endure it and to be able to continue to praise His holy name.

Christ said:  "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

So what can we do for our brothers and sisters who are facing injustice? First and foremost, I think that we should pray that God strengthen them in the face of their struggles and that they find favour in the eyes of those persecuting them. Also, why not take part in service trips to Egypt? For example, there's a trip leaving from UK this summer organised by HG Anba Angaelos to help out in orphanages in poor parts of Egypt - this is a great way to have a direct helping hand in the lives of our brothers and sisters.

Again, please forgive my disagreement...I'm just awkward like that :P
    I'd love to hear everyone else's opinions on the matter.

Matthew
  • I agree with LondonCopt...as horrible as it is ...it just has to happen, and it's been happeningm, and we've made it this far through God.

i think he meant that during these hard times the copts aren't building eachothe up, but rather breaking eachother down, they're not uniting...but constantly getting into fights with eachother and sometimes just not acting very coptic...

• i think he meant that during these hard times the copts aren't building eachothe up, but rather breaking eachother down, they're not uniting...but constantly getting into fights with eachother and sometimes just not acting very coptic...

Sadly, this does happen...but I don't think it's our place to judge that, as we all do this to each other. Not one of us is perfect. One thing that I will say is that while our church teaches humility, it also teaches that we stand for our rights and for our faith. In John's Gospel, when Jesus was on trial before the high priest, He was struck in the face by one of the officers. Did our Lord just accept to be struck across the face without reason? No! He answered saying "why do you strike Me when I have done nothing wrong?" I've always taken this as our Lord's example of maintaining humility while at the same time standing up for yourself.

Again, just my thoughts :)
    Matthew
  • I agree with Matthew. Perhaps, because I don't think my immediate relatives in Egypt are so adversely affected. I concede that it is easier for me to interpret the Sermon on the Mount in that way. From the synexarium, I think that is the obvious way for it to be interpreted.

Kirie Eleison.
  • [quote author=LondonCopt link=topic=6860.msg92075#msg92075 date=1214952235]

i think he meant that during these hard times the copts aren't building eachothe up, but rather breaking eachother down, they're not uniting...but constantly getting into fights with eachother and sometimes just not acting very coptic...

Sadly, this does happen...but I don't think it's our place to judge that, as we all do this to each other. Not one of us is perfect. One thing that I will say is that while our church teaches humility, it also teaches that we stand for our rights and for our faith. In John's Gospel, when Jesus was on trial before the high priest, He was struck in the face by one of the officers. Did our Lord just accept to be struck across the face without reason? No! He answered saying "why do you strike Me when I have done nothing wrong?" I've always taken this as our Lord's example of maintaining humility while at the same time standing up for yourself.

Matthew

I think that's a good way to think of it  and that is a good example of how to act in such situations (: !!

and also...i def. agree, i was in NOOO way judging them, i respect them for how they are doing and holding up.  i myself have family there and they're nice people...i think if i was in that position... i would def NOT be building anyone up, i would probably just be looking out for myself :[ so again, i was not judging them or trying to say anything unflattering....
  • [quote author=LondonCopt link=topic=6860.msg92075#msg92075 date=1214952235]

Matthew

I do not think that Christ was defending Himself here, for He did not defend Himself during any other time during cruxificition. However, He told the servant that because it was a sin to talk to the high priest in an improper way. Thus, so that nobody would think that Christ actually did do such a thing, He said that. I personally believe He was not defending Himself, but that is only my opinion. I may be wrong.

With much love
  • I do not think that Christ was defending Himself here, for He did not defend Himself during any other time during cruxificition. However, He told the servant that because it was a sin to talk to the high priest in an improper way. Thus, so that nobody would think that Christ actually did do such a thing, He said that. I personally believe He was not defending Himself, but that is only my opinion. I may be wrong.

You're right, I don't think I said what I wanted to say very clearly...I'm no good at explaining things :P
    I didn't mean that Christ defended himself in the sense that He didn't allow harm to come to Him, I meant that He bore witness to the injustice. Had He wanted to, He could have easily come down from the cross, smitten all those who had wronged Him - after all, He is God!

But He didn't do any of that because He knew that the crucifixion had to happen - He didn't stop it. But what He DID do was tell them that what they were doing was wrong. This is what I meant by standing up for yourself, sorry for being unclear...and again, just my thoughts :)

Sorry to take the discussion off the topic a bit,
    Matthew
  • [coptic]Namenra] tyrou>[/coptic]
    Dear all,
    [coptic]Nim `nqyten `fswpi qen Britani`a ebolqen teten`hmot `nteten]`nca pai oumwit `nnat vai ouoh `cqai tetenran eqoun[/coptic]
    Those of you who are in Britain please follow this weblink and sign your names in it.
    [coptic]Oujinmwit pe@[/coptic]
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Coptspersecution/
    [coptic]V] efecmou erwten tyrou ouoh `mperer`pwbs `mmon qen teten`proceu,y[/coptic]
    May God bless you all and don't forget us in your prayers
    [coptic]Oujai qen `=P=[=c[/coptic]
  • Alot of u have very interesting points........i was wondering if in a presentation i'm doing i could quote some of u?
  • ophadece, the petition has been made known to my whole church, God bless you!
  • Coptic PEACEFUL protests.