My younger cousin

I have a NDS lite and everytime my younger cousin comes to visit us, he wants to play with it. He comes almost everyday. Last time i gave it to him to play with it, i found three scratches on the screen. I don't want to blame him and say that he did it. Anyway, part of me says that i should not let him play with it because i really care about my things and like to take care of them. The other part of me feels so guilty to do so, i feel that if i did so i am not being a child of Christ by not sharing my things. What should i do that would not be wrong and at the same time allow me to take care of my things. Thanks.

Comments

• I have two younger brothers. They are twins to each other and I like taking care of my things so I know what you mean.    ( We are 9 years apart. )

If possible watch him while he plays. Tell him you like taking care of your things and if he mistreats them there will be consequences. (Like a Time-out or any form of punishment that you think is suitable.) Tell him what not to do. Like don't dang your DS on things, Don't bite on it and so forth. Look right into his eyes while you explain these things and look serious. Make sure he looks back. Tell him Thank You in advance and if you can't watch him check him every now and then and ask him if he is okay. Now, if he does mistreat your things DO NOT LOOSE YOUR TEMPER. It won't help. Tell him that you need to enforce the punishment that you told him about earlier and that if he does it again he won't be able to play with it anymore. It is your choice though how many chances you want to give him before actually taking it away. I suggest as much as your DS can take.  ;D

If you need any more advice on this subject or any explainations, Please, let me know.
    God Bless,
    Copt Andrew
  • I don't have any younger siblings (thank God), but if I did, I would probably just tell them to be careful with my stuff. I know for a fact that I did the opposite with my siblings lol. But seriously, tell him to be careful with your stuff and how he wouldn't want his belongings mistreated. Copt Andrew's idea is good too. Watch him while he plays. You'll rest assured that it'll be ok when he uses it and it'll probably be fine once you get it back. Don't be mean to him and don't blame him. It's not a good idea. If he physically tries to do something or does anything that can cause damage to it (willingly), then you can take it away from him. If you were Jesus, you probably wouldn't take it away from him but I don't think God will hold it againist you if you do it. If it's an accident, then don't take it away since it wasn't intentional. Just tell him to be careful.

PK
  • [quote author=Godislove. link=topic=6785.msg90979#msg90979 date=1213754190]
    I have a NDS lite and everytime my younger cousin comes to visit us, he wants to play with it. He comes almost everyday. Last time i gave it to him to play with it, i found three scratches on the screen. I don't want to blame him and say that he did it. Anyway, part of me says that i should not let him play with it because i really care about my things and like to take care of them. The other part of me feels so guilty to do so, i feel that if i did so i am not being a child of Christ by not sharing my things. What should i do that would not be wrong and at the same time allow me to take care of my things. Thanks.

Gosh, this is a really good question!!

I was just having the same conversation with some people today about that. You know, we came to the conclusion that sometimes one needs sincere feedback for their own benefit.

When you criticise someone, if its done to get revenge, or to hurt them for, say for example, scratching your NDS, then this is cruel.. but to attract their attention with love in the hope of edifying them (i.e. if you care more for them than your NDS, then at THAT moment, its a good time to tell them they should be careful with other people's things).