When does the Lent week start?

Dear all,
Something confused me and I hope you answer my query. When does the Lent week start? I always thought that the start of the week is Sunday, like the prodigal son's week starts Sunday and ends the following Saturday, but I heard abouna in our church saying that the week starts Monday; so basically the Samaritan woman's week started yesterday, and the prodigal son's ended on Sunday. Any views on that?
God bless you all and pray for us a lot

Comments

• [quote author=ophadece link=topic=6398.msg84487#msg84487 date=1206468825]
    Dear all,
    Something confused me and I hope you answer my query. When does the Lent week start? I always thought that the start of the week is Sunday, like the prodigal son's week starts Sunday and ends the following Saturday, but I heard abouna in our church saying that the week starts Monday; so basically the Samaritan woman's week started yesterday, and the prodigal son's ended on Sunday. Any views on that?

yes. week starts on the monday. think about it, you start fasting on a monday.
  • Yeah, minagir is correct. Sunday is considered the end of the week. Consider that the last day of not fasting is Pre-Lent Sunday. And as minagir correctly states, the first day of fasting is Monday.
  • So one thing confuses me; week starting Monday after the born blind; should it be in annual rites? Or is that the beginning of the Entry to Jerusalem week? Or do the rites have nothing to do with the beginning and ends of the weeks? I assume they do, as the readings always signify something for us the whole week, isn't it?
  • No the rites have nothing to do with the begining or ends of weeks, its by the actual day. The Rites for Palm Sunday only apply to Palm sunday, not a week.
  • No the rites have nothing to do with the begining or ends of weeks, its by the actual day. The Rites for Palm Sunday only apply to Palm sunday, not a week. 
    Posted on: Today at 03:50:49 PMPosted by

I will add that (in terms of rites) it is inclusive of:  The Last Friday of Lent, Lazarus Saturday.

There have been homilies that tie things in by the Sunday Gospel reading, but that is purely unofficial.  Some have tried to carry it as a theme for contemplation for that given week or for that matter in anticipation of the coming week.  There are expositions for the Psalmody of the Great Lent that has some forward thoughts and contemplations of the Gospels.  The Gospels are numbered by the given Sunday.  So that as you proceed, you are really keeping track of the Gospel on a given sunday as a singular event.
  • Thank you all for your contribution.
    God bless you all and pray for us