Can one take the Holy COMMUNION more than once in the same day??

edited February 2008 in Faith Issues
Is a person allowed to have communion more than once in a day? For example, if there was a liturgy in the morning and at night, would we be allowed to take communion both times?

Comments

• [quote author=MeeMz link=topic=6274.msg82861#msg82861 date=1203957372]

Is a person allowed to have communion more than once in a day? For example, if there was a liturgy in the morning and at night, would we be allowed to take communion both times?

to take communion in one liturgy you have to fast 9 hours. if the difference between the 2 liturgies is 9 hours, to fast, than you can. depends on the available time for you to fast.

• Im going to use Christmas as an example; Christmas morning (which was on a sunday) there was a Liturgy held, and later on at night there is the Christmas Liturgy. It is more then 9 hours; so in that case we are allowed to have the Holy Communion more then once in the same day... correct?
  • Oh yes, for christmas if there is a liturgy in the morning of Jan 6 and a liturgy at night, it's ok. Plus you are taking communion on the 7th since it's after midnight. Minagir, I think you might be wrong on that
    I'm pretty sure that even if there is a difference of nine hours for you to fast, you're only allowed to take communion once in a day. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure on this one.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6274.msg82880#msg82880 date=1203962662]
    Oh yes, for christmas if there is a liturgy in the morning of Jan 6 and a liturgy at night, it's ok. Plus you are taking communion on the 7th since it's after midnight. Minagir, I think you might be wrong on that
    I'm pretty sure that even if there is a difference of nine hours for you to fast, you're only allowed to take communion once in a day. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure on this one.

no....you are taking communion on the 6th. the feast is the 7th, you celebrate it the night of it do to our traditional timing. but it is still considered the 6th. i have done it before and all priests do that.
  • Thanks guys :)
    God Bless you all
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=6274.msg82881#msg82881 date=1203963043]
    [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6274.msg82880#msg82880 date=1203962662]
    Oh yes, for christmas if there is a liturgy in the morning of Jan 6 and a liturgy at night, it's ok. Plus you are taking communion on the 7th since it's after midnight. Minagir, I think you might be wrong on that

What are you talking about?? If you go to a liturgy the morning on Jan 6th and then you go at night for the feast, you'll be taking communion after midnight so it's the 7th not the 6th. Huge difference there. Plus, you mentioned that if there is enough time to fast then it's ok. Actually i'm pretty sure it's not. For example. Sometimes Epiphany comes on a sunday. So saturday night there is the Lakan followed by the liturgy. In the end, you take communion on sunday because it's after midnight. So why then does our church say that there is no liturgy to be done on sunday morning. Because everyone took communion already that day right after midnight. Do you see what i'm saying?
    no....you are taking communion on the 6th. the feast is the 7th, you celebrate it the night of it do to our traditional timing. but it is still considered the 6th. i have done it before and all priests do that.
  • what if you take communion then dont drink water or eat and go to the liturgy at night like during lent for example and its less than 9 hours can you take communion again?
  • the only person who has an exception not to drink water after communion is abouna and that's only if he's going to a sick person's house or the hospital to give someone communion. However for the general congregation, you must drink water after communion.
  • Only one sacrifice in a Canonical day.  In your hypothetical situation it would not be possible.

It is rare that there is Divine Liturgy in the early morning relative to the issues relating to abstinence through the day that is requireed.

Incidently the rule for one sacrifice applies to the vessels of altar and the altar itself.  This goes back to the Levitical period.  One sacrifice for a day.  In this case the Sacrifice is Our Lord.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=6274.msg82931#msg82931 date=1204062209]
    Only one sacrifice in a Canonical day.  In your hypothetical situation it would not be possible.

It is rare that there is Divine Liturgy in the early morning relative to the issues relating to abstinence through the day that is requireed.

Incidently the rule for one sacrifice applies to the vessels of altar and the altar itself.  This goes back to the Levitical period.  One sacrifice for a day.  In this case the Sacrifice is Our Lord.

the rule of one sacrifice to the vessels and the altar itself is it also have to fast 9 hours before another sacrifice.

[quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6274.msg82930#msg82930 date=1204061587]
    the only person who has an exception not to drink water after communion is abouna and that's only if he's going to a sick person's house or the hospital to give someone communion. However for the general congregation, you must drink water after communion.

No. there is no exception for the priest because he must wash his hands while washing the vessels and drink the water from the washing if he had participated in distributing the communion. except if only served in liturgy and still fasting of water.

that's why a deacon or a person fasts for that incident instead of the priest.
  • mina, your going to drive me insane. In my church the priest is the one who fasts when giving communion to sick people outside church. When washing the vessels, he allows the deacons to drink the water instead of himself. And I've asked my parish priest today if it was possible to take communion more than once a day if there were to be more than one liturgy and he said absolutely not.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6274.msg82938#msg82938 date=1204066498]
    mina, your going to drive me insane. In my church the priest is the one who fasts when giving communion to sick people outside church. When washing the vessels, he allows the deacons to drink the water instead of himself. And I've asked my parish priest today if it was possible to take communion more than once a day if there were to be more than one liturgy and he said absolutely not.

well am am telling you is what i was taught in my church to.

about drinking the water that weird.....because he washes his own hands in there, he is supposed to. but i guess it's acceptable.
  • There has to be some rule on this. Tell me if you ever find out for sure.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6274.msg83022#msg83022 date=1204083108]
    There has to be some rule on this. Tell me if you ever find out for sure.

there is this where i got from a dear servant:

"It has to be only once a day. But the day is not 24 hrs, like for example the Paramoun, we take communion in the morning and at night. Yet, the two liturgies on two different days, given that the day from sunset to sunset and given that there must be at least 9 hours difference."
  • Dear minagir,
    I don't think the rule of 9 hours applies here. We are not allowed to take communion twice on the same day. In the case of baramoun in the morning, and feast liturgy in the evening, as you said are TWO separate days. Two separate cannonical days as ilovesaintmark said. Also, I believe that abouna may wash his hands after the liturgy but he doesn't drink when he is going out to pray to a sick person.
    God bless you all and pray for us a lot
  • Technically, the angel of the Sacrifice is not supposed to be dismissed until the priest returns from giving Holy Communion to the person that is ill (receiving off-site from the church).  Moreover, the priest should be fully vested, and should not divest until the Holy Communion is given, return to church, and dismissal of the Angel of the Sacrifice of the Day.

However, in terms of practicalities, and the issue having been brought forward to His Holiness by the clergy in the diaspora, he has allowed them to carry forward with a certain amount of liberality as the situation dictates.  The priest cannot break his fast until the person has received communion, in the event that the person is unable to consume the Body/Blood of Our Lord, then the priest would be obliged to finish the Sacrifice.

In transit to the person's place, there should be fully dignity, solemness, chanting of hymns of praise (as in the regard of th Communion time in Church).  The priest should be fully holding the Pyx (portable communion vessel).  It (The Holy Communion)  should not be entrusted to anyone.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=6274.msg83107#msg83107 date=1204197383]
    Dear minagir,
    I don't think the rule of 9 hours applies here. We are not allowed to take communion twice on the same day. In the case of baramoun in the morning, and feast liturgy in the evening, as you said are TWO separate days. Two separate cannonical days as ilovesaintmark said. Also, I believe that abouna may wash his hands after the liturgy but he doesn't drink when he is going out to pray to a sick person.
    God bless you all and pray for us a lot

yes....thank you. i've kind of corrected myself on the last reply.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6274.msg82930#msg82930 date=1204061587]
    the only person who has an exception not to drink water after communion is abouna and that's only if he's going to a sick person's house or the hospital to give someone communion. However for the general congregation, you must drink water after communion.

It's possible as long as there's a 9 hour difference!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Dear CopticServant,
    No, it is not, and please check back on the previous posts.
    God bless you and pray for us a lot
  • Hello Everyone
    Regarding this topic you can take it more than once if two liturgys are on the same day.  This past Christmas we had a liturgy in the morning and one at night.  Several years ago Jan 6 also fell on a Sunday and there was a liturgy that morning as well.  If it were not allowed then on Jan 6 the regular morning liturgy would have been cancelled.  As long as there is a 9 hour fasting period its okay. 
    God bless
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=6274.msg83143#msg83143 date=1204295567]
    Dear CopticServant,
    No, it is not, and please check back on the previous posts.
    God bless you and pray for us a lot

Thanks for correcting me, and Baptism welcome, glad to have you here!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent