If all Christian Churches were to unite, what would happen???

pp
edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Dear all,
I would want to know what everyone's answer is to this, because personally, I think that our Liturgy's structure was well thought-out and if we were to unite with the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches, I would have absolutely no idea of what our Liturgy will be.
Thanks a lot and please answer back!!!
In Christ,
aem581

Comments

• [quote author=aem581 link=topic=6159.msg81728#msg81728 date=1201909135]
    Dear all,
    I would want to know what everyone's answer is to this, because personally, I think that our Liturgy's structure was well thought-out and if we were to unite with the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches, I would have absolutely no idea of what our Liturgy will be.
    Thanks a lot and please answer back!!!
    In Christ,
    aem581

i think the time of church would change, i think the way of how the church looks lie will change!!! Many things would change!! And the BIGGEST MAJOR THING IS THE LITURGY!!! like u said!!! It wouldn't be the same at all!!! What do u want more than that!!?? do u want to know how we think how they r going to say the liturgy or if the words are going to change!!! Well all of it would probably change! but this is my opinion!!!
  • Not much would change in my opinion. The liturgies among the Orthodox churches would change only slightly, in order to make reference to sister churches. The Catholics would have to change a bit of their doctrine and their mass to conform to ours, however, their mass for the most part is similarly related to ours.
  • [quote author=SilentOne link=topic=6159.msg81731#msg81731 date=1201910403]
    Not much would change in my opinion. The liturgies among the Orthodox churches would change only slightly, in order to make reference to sister churches. The Catholics would have to change a bit of their doctrine and their mass to conform to ours, however, their mass for the most part is similarly related to ours.

ya but maybe the catholics wouldn't want to change anything maybe they would want us to change to theirs instead of them changing to ours!! do u understand wut i mean!! by the way i am not trying to argue here ok!!??
  • If they would unite, I think they would split up right away, even has different decisions on the liturgies, first off what are we going to even call the prayers on sundays, liturgies or masses, second of all we all have different morals and beliefs how are we going to sort them out to one "book", my friends and I today were all talking about religion and how most of them are so different from each other, most of them are either catholic or lutheran, that's why I don't think we'll agree at all, and that's why I think they would split up right away, no way could be agree of anything!! Well, maybe not anything, but practically nothing!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Among the Orthodox, liturgies are already diverse. So why would it change? The only thing would be an official lifting of anaethemas.
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=6159.msg81735#msg81735 date=1201912716]
    Among the Orthodox, liturgies are already diverse. So why would it change? The only thing would be an official lifting of anaethemas.

But that would only be among the orthodox, I think Christian churches is the main broad topic though!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I doubt we will all unite. Even if we do some people have hard heads these days. Its hard we were already one and people wanted singing and dancing to church so they made their own etc...
  • I think what will happen is the OO, EO, and Catholic churches will be one while the Lutheren, Protestant and all those other denominations will be one. So then we'll be 2 differnent churches.
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=topic=6159.msg81736#msg81736 date=1201912833]
    [quote author=clay link=topic=6159.msg81735#msg81735 date=1201912716]
    Among the Orthodox, liturgies are already diverse. So why would it change? The only thing would be an official lifting of anaethemas.

But that would only be among the orthodox, I think Christian churches is the main broad topic though!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

Christians are only Christian in as much as they are Orthodox; this is something that applies much to us than it does to anyone else. Non-Liturgical Christians do not have Christian Worship, because from the beginning Liturgical Worship was established. Those who refuse the authority of the Holy Ecunemical Council of Nicea, deny the authority of the Church which gave authority to the Holy Scriptures, making their thoughts on Scripture superfluous. The Liturgy and the Church authority is something that is clearly a major issue; and things we must hold to with all deligence.

Pentecostalists, such as the AOG, can not be considered Christian, though they have members who express Christian thought and deed; but they are foxes to the body of Christ in doctrine. We are foxes when we try to secularise the Church.

[quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6159.msg81741#msg81741 date=1201916811]
    I think what will happen is the OO, EO, and Catholic churches will be one while the Lutheren, Protestant and all those other denominations will be one. So then we'll be 2 differnent churches.

Lutherans are Liturgical, are much closer to Orthodoxy than Catholics in many regards, and most Portestants, especially Baptists and Pentecostals are much different. It would be a great shame if they unite, for many have defected from the Truth in much greater degree.

I think the Anglicans, save for Canterbury and North America, is quite similar to Orthodoxy than other 'Reformers'.

God forbid the Protestants unite.
  • As far as liturgical worship goes, keep in mind that the Liturgy of St. Basil that we use is different than all the others - St. Basil laid the groundwork, so to speak, which then evolved in the different cultures.

For example, the Liturgy that we pray each week, St. Basil's, is prayed only 10 times per year in the Eastern Churches. Their version differs than ours. Below is the content of their version:
    Liturgy of Preparation (Prothesis)
    Mention of St. Basil instead of St. John Chrysostom at the removal of particles and at the dismissal
    Liturgy of the Catechumens
    Prayer of the Catechumens
    Liturgy of the Faithful
    First Prayer of the Faithful
    Second Prayer of the Faithful
    Prayer of Fervent Supplication
    Anaphora
    Prayer for the Church, ending with the priest's ekphony, "And grant that with one mouth and one heart we may glorify and praise..."
    Prayer at the Ektenia of Supplication
    Prayer at the Bowing of Heads
    Prayer of Thanksgiving after communion
    Dismissal (mentioning St. Basil instead of St. John Chrysostom)

Ours:
    The Offertory
    The Procession of the Lamb
    Prayer of Thanksgiving
    The Absolution of Ministers
    The Prayer of incense of the Pauline Epistle
    The Pauline Epistle
    The Catholic Epistle
    The Praxis
    The Prayer for the Gospel
    Prayer of the Veil
    The Orthodox Creed
    The Prayer of Reconciliation
    The Institution Narrative
    The Seven Short Litanies
    The Commemoration Of The Saints
    Introduction To The Fraction
    Fraction
    The Confession
  • Dear all,
    Before any Ecumenical Councils, weren't all of the Churches one???
    In Christ,
    aem581
  • One in faith; they had one Lord, one faith one baptism (Eph 4:5). But in Liturgical worship, they differ. Actually the First Ecunemical Council was summoned to get some consistency, if I am not mistaken.
  • [quote author=mannan link=topic=6159.msg81738#msg81738 date=1201914504]
    I doubt we will all unite. Even if we do some people have hard heads these days. Its hard we were already one and people wanted singing and dancing to church so they made their own etc...

i so agree with mannan!!
  • Hard heads?

Are you being hard-headed? Just because they don't subscribe to your views, does not justify you calling them hard headed. I am not making the comment about you, but I myself have laughed off some people's views by simply saying they are "narrow-minded". This character assasination is a logical fallacy- it is not dealing with the argument in question.

Are they hard-headed because their views have no basis in logic, Apostolic Truth etc. or because they are different to yours?
  • Christian Unity
    by H.H. Pope Shenouda III

A speech given by His Holiness Pope Shenouda III in the International Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, St. Mark's Cathedral, Cairo, 1974 (that's before many here were born!). These words of wisdom still ring true to this day. We pray for the unity of Christ's Church.

http://www.coptichymns.net/module-library-viewpub-tid-1-pid-546.html

HH Pope Shenouda III made tremendous efforts for Christian Unity.
    GBU
  • i think if we unite...then we will end up braking again........  especially with everybody now-a days ..coming up with new religions when ever they feel like it....
    (ex.Anglican..King Henry # wanted to divorce, when the catholic priest didn't allow him...he made his own religion..Anglcans. and devorced and killed a couple of his wives....)
  • Thank you very much John_S2000, the source is very much appreciated...but the question though would still remain, how would the Liturgy change, considering that it would be a variety of different Churches with the same belief. I believe that our Liturgy is the most concrete out of every other, considering that everything has a reason. Out of every other Liturgy there is, St. Basil's seems to be the Liturgy where everything has a purpose. So, wouldn't the Churches use one that the saints had previously made, or would they just create another one?
  • I don't know if this is relevant, but a sunday school teacher once told that at some point all the churches wold unite and that will foreshadow the end of days.
  • [quote author=Zakhary link=topic=6159.msg83808#msg83808 date=1205641190]
    I don't know if this is relevant, but a sunday school teacher once told that at some point all the churches wold unite and that will foreshadow the end of days.

yeah i heard the same thing too