speaking in tongues

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey everyone, my friends mom claims to have spoken in tongues.... ummm... what is speaking in tongues exactly, I know that when the disciples recieved the holy Ghost and were able to speak in tongues, but doesnt that mean that they just were able to speak any language? When my friends mom says she spoke in tongues she meant speakin like blah balhdlababalabalah.... and saying that its a prayer and once you start sometimes you cant even stop... but how is it prayer if you dont even understand what your saying.. i told my friend that and he said that st Paul said somewhere that sometimes your spirit prays and you wont even understand what the prayer means ...

so basically i dont know what going on and i really need help, because i know that his mom speaking like that and not being able to control it has nothing to do with God but probably the devil.

Comments

• also, i found these verses on speaking in tongues

"He who speaks in tongues edifies himself...I would like every one of you to speak in tongues" (1 Corinthians 14:4,5).

"For anyone who speaks in tongues does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understand him; he utters mysteries with his spirit" (v. 2).

• If you read it in context, you see that St. Paul diminishes its role in the Church, but does not make it sound that the gift was superfluous and given hastily without cause. For what is "speaking in tongues" exactly, please look at other threads that address the topic.

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=4194.msg58269#msg58269

[move]God bless[/move]
  • yea i know that its not allowed in church I read about that... but i just want to know like... is speaking in tongues speaking like labalalbalabalabbshiralanjdbsk .... cuz thats wut everyone says it is
  • No speaking in tongues means that they are given the gift of knowing other languages "tongues" so that when the preached to the whole world they would preach in the language of the natives so that they understood them. of course they would not go to places that spoke french or coptic and talk to them in Hebrew or Aramaic they had to speak in the tongue of the nation. and now speaking in tongues is not necessary because Christianity has been spread throughout the world
  • 1- When the apostles spoke in tounges, they spoke in aramic and people heard them in the language of the country they were born in.
    2- Speaking in tounges is not a prayer. Saying anything is definetly not a way to communicate with God. Every word that we say without a meaning is going to be judged by God. So think about it.
    3-Your friends mum didn't speak in tounges. Some groups of "christians" gather for meetings and that is what they do. It is fake.
  • Kirmich,
    1) You misinterpreted this. They spoke in languages, and others would understand them in their own languages.
    2) Definition of tongues in this essence - Languages
    3) This is the only point I agree with you. The disciples received this gift and eventually passed on to our Pope Shenouda III and the clergy. Regular Christians are not worthy of such blessing.
  • What are you talking about. It was not just the disciples who spoke in tongues. I suggest you read the whole book of Acts! Where in the world did you get the idea that a "gift" is passed on? Gifts are given by the Holy Ghost as individuals, not by some transmission. Has anyone been born into the clergy?!
  • Dear aem581
    May I humbly note a few things.
    [quote author=aem581 link=topic=5895.msg79011#msg79011 date=1193953660]
    Kirmich,
    1) You misinterpreted this. They spoke in languages, and others would understand them in their own languages.

1- That was what I meant maybe I didn't make it clear. Sorry.[quote author=aem581 link=topic=5895.msg79011#msg79011 date=1193953660]
    2) Definition of tongues in this essence-languages
    2- What I meant was the "speaking in tounges" as Meen-Ameen mentioned in his post (see below) which isn't a prayer. I didn't mean speaking in languages. [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=5895.msg78990#msg78990 date=1193897372]
    When my friends mom says she spoke in tongues she meant speakin like blah balhdlababalabalah.... and saying that its a prayer and once you start sometimes you cant even stop...
    I hope that it is clear now. And if there are any mistakes please all tell me to correct them.
    pray 4 me
    kirmich
  • what about 1 corinthians 14:2

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth  him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

What is the orthodox churchs explanation of this verse, cuz i dont know exactly how to interpret this word by word