Sermons....

Hey guys, i was just listening to Fr Anthony Messeh sermons about topics such as Jesus is the only way to heaven, and Jesus is the son of God... I was just wondering can anyone find me a sermon that talks about other religions who call themselves Christians, such as mormons.

Thnx alot for ur help.

God Bless

Comments

• Meena,
    Sorry that I cannot be too specific but there is a website called Orthodox Sermons.org
  • I wrote this earlier, and hope it assists you in finding a perspective of the Mormon Church. Some might think I am being intolerable, but I think my argument is reasoned, and well researched. Also, I write from one who belongs to a Church that is called by them as "the great and abominable church" and that me being an Orthodox Christian have "nothing to do with Christ"! So, if anyone thinks I am being judgmental, intolerable, hateful- I am not! Angry I am, but hateful not.

The Mormon contention is: "after the book (the Bible) hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church...there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book..." (1 Nephi 13:28)

This is in spite there being no evidence of things being taken away (variations exist, but it is better than any other work of antiquity) and that we have many manuscripts from these earlier times, and they have variations in matters of spelling, word order, tense and the like and that no single doctrine is affected by them in any certain terms.

It is also clear that the finality of revelation is from Christ:
    God, having of old times spoken unto the fathers in the prophets, by divers portions and in divers manners, hath at the end of these days spoken unto us in his son (Hebrews 1:1, 2)

Claims of further climatic and definitive revelations clearly contradicts this message.

The Mormon religion have additional readings as a corollary that is seen more favourably than the Bible (since in Mormonism it has been corrupted): the Book of the Mormons, the Pearl of Great Price.

John A. Widstoe (past president of the Church) has said that: The prophet Joseph Smith, from the beginning of his ministry, gave some time to revising passages in the Bible that has been translated incorrectly or so rendered as to make the meaning obscure.

Instead, the so called Inspired Version has new material. For example, in Genesis 3 we have the story of Satan's coming before God and offering to be sent into the world to redeem mankind, if only he can receive God's honour. When the offer was refused, Satan rebels against God. Few chapters later, we have Adam's baptism by immersion. Then a prophesy to Enoch. This is just in Genesis.

Perhaps the most sinister is in Chapter 50 of the 'Inspired Version': And that seer will I bless...and his name shall be called Joseph, and it shall be after the name of his father...for the thing which the Lord shall bring forth by his hand shall bring my people unto salvation.
    [Are we going to believe that the Jews and the Church took this scripture out thousands of years ago- I mean where was the threat?]

It is thus obvious that Joseph Smith did more than just correct some translational errors, but re-written the Bible.  Instead, we have Joseph Smith saying in 'Doctrines of Salvation': Guided by the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and the Spirit of the Lord, it is not difficult for one to discern the errors in the Bible.

Since Joseph Smith dared to alter the word of God, something that strikes odd when the Lord says: The Scripture cannot be broken (Jn 10:35) and It is easier for heaven and earth to pass away, than for one tittle of the law to fall (Lk 16:17).

It is with the above, and other things that I believe the Mormon's right to Christianity is fallacious. In Antioch where they first called us Christians- they didn't share anything with the Mormons.

For instance, Brigham Young (a president of the Church) said: Every spirit that does not confess that God has sent Joseph Smith, and revealed the everlasting gospel to and through him, is of Antichrist (Discourses of Brigham Young p 435)

And even one of their early Apostles asserts that the Mormon Church, should not call non-Mormon Churches to call themselves Christian, since

"They have nothing to do with Christ, neither has Christ anything to do with them, only to pour out upon them the plagues written...All who will now repent, as the authority is once more restored to the earth, and come forth out of the corrupt apostate churches and be adopted in to the Church of Christ and earnestly seek after the blessings and miraculous gifts of the gospel shall be thrust down to hell, said the Lord God of Hosts (A Fourfold Test of Mormonism p99)

Hence, I don't feel it is appropriate to regard Mormonism as a Christian Church.

This is not even beginning to discuss how they tall about the plurality of Gods, that the Fall was not a sin etc.
  • That was quite interesting, and very entertaining might I add.
    Don't quote me on this but i heard somewhere that they also believed people became Gods after their departure.. ahh.. just adds to the humour.
    I'm forced to wonder; where exactly can Christ fit in this picture?

+God Bless.