St. Mary

Hey everyone,

i'm starting to have a lack of faith because of what i'm thinking right now. God took the body of saint mary because she held christ in her for nine months, She nursed him with her milk, and she carried him on her shoulder. But is her body more holy than the body and blood of christ which we have after the liturgy? Is the body and blood after the liturgy less holy than the real one which christ was incarnated with? Is the cross which he was crucified on (which we still have) less holy than st. mary? Is the chruch the house of god where the holy spirit dwells, less holy than the body of saint mary?

Comments

• [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=5709.msg76225#msg76225 date=1188413205]
    Hey everyone,

i'm starting to have a lack of faith because of what i'm thinking right now. God took the body of saint mary because she held christ in her for nine months, She nursed him with her milk, and she carried him on her shoulder. But is her body more holy than the body and blood of christ which we have after the liturgy? Is the body and blood after the liturgy less holy than the real one which christ was incarnated with? Is the cross which he was crucified on (which we still have) less holy than st. mary? Is the chruch the house of god where the holy spirit dwells, less holy than the body of saint mary?

what's more 'holy', Christ Himself as in flesh, or us who partake of His body. what's more holy the qodos, who makes things/ppl holy, or the moqadas, who are made holy.

than let's say this, what more holy, St.Mary who was wade holy or the Holy One that is in her who also made her holy.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

To reiterate what Mina said, and this is a valid question:  which is holier, the Holy One, or the object (or person) that the Holy One has sanctified?  God is Holy, and thus anything that is holy on earth is made holy by Him.  Now, regarding the Body and Blood of Christ that one has 'after' the Liturgy, I'm not quite sure what you mean.  The only time we partake of the Body and Blood of Christ is during communion which (if you will) is the climax of the Divine Liturgy.  The Body and Blood that we partake of during communion is the very same Body and Blood Christ possessed while incarnate.  There is no difference at all.  St. Mary was sanctified by the Holy Spirit and carrying the incarnate Logos in her womb.  The Cross of Christ was sanctified by His blood.  Saints are sanctified by being filled with the Holy Spirit, and partaking of Christ Body and Blood during communion.  Thus, the Source of Holiness is more holy than that which is made holy by the Source.

• To reiterate what Mina said, and this is a valid question:  which is holier, the Holy One, or the object (or person) that the Holy One has sanctified?  God is Holy, and thus anything that is holy on earth is made holy by Him.  Now, regarding the Body and Blood of Christ that one has 'after' the Liturgy, I'm not quite sure what you mean.  The only time we partake of the Body and Blood of Christ is during communion which (if you will) is the climax of the Divine Liturgy.  The Body and Blood that we partake of during communion is the very same Body and Blood Christ possessed while incarnate.  There is no difference at all.  St. Mary was sanctified by the Holy Spirit and carrying the incarnate Logos in her womb.  The Cross of Christ was sanctified by His blood.  Saints are sanctified by being filled with the Holy Spirit, and partaking of Christ Body and Blood during communion.  Thus, the Source of Holiness is more holy than that which is made holy by the Source.

i agree with both of them.  they got and made a lot o points rite there. 
    but i also have a question that is relevant.  do ppl have lack of faith if they just ask questions.  plzz consider becuz id lke to no.   i have faith but i also lik to ask questions,   

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ

It is my personal opinion that one can never truly know or understand anything if they do not ask questions.  This goes for understanding Orthodoxy as well.  The only way we learn is by asking questions.  There will be times when certain concepts don't make sense, or some aspect of the faith seems to unbelievable to be true.  There is nothing wrong with acknowledging it and asking people.  In the end, you stand to benefit a great deal.
  • oo thank u soo much becuz thats wat i though too. 

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ
  • [quote author=????? link=topic=5709.msg76228#msg76228 date=1188414106]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

To reiterate what Mina said, and this is a valid question:  which is holier, the Holy One, or the object (or person) that the Holy One has sanctified?  God is Holy, and thus anything that is holy on earth is made holy by Him.  Now, regarding the Body and Blood of Christ that one has 'after' the Liturgy, I'm not quite sure what you mean.  The only time we partake of the Body and Blood of Christ is during communion which (if you will) is the climax of the Divine Liturgy.  The Body and Blood that we partake of during communion is the very same Body and Blood Christ possessed while incarnate.  There is no difference at all.  St. Mary was sanctified by the Holy Spirit and carrying the incarnate Logos in her womb.  The Cross of Christ was sanctified by His blood.  Saints are sanctified by being filled with the Holy Spirit, and partaking of Christ Body and Blood during communion.  Thus, the Source of Holiness is more holy than that which is made holy by the Source.

So if the body and blood that we have during communion, is the same body and blood that was in the womb of the virgin mary, then why does christ take away the body of st. mary to heaven and say that her body is so holy because i was inside of it? Yet at the same time, during communion, we eat and drink the body and the blood which is the same as what was in the virgin Mary's womb. Do you understand my question?

Christ took the body of St. Mary to heaven because He felt that the earth was not worthy to hold the body of His mother.  It was a way of honouring her, and indicates to us that we should honour her as well.  It was not because her body was holy in and of itself.  Her body was made holy by the Holy Spirit coming upon her and the Logos taking flesh inside her.  Our union with Christ through the communion is a spiritual union whereas in the case of the holy Theotokos, her union with her Son was not only spiritual but physical as well.