Eccumenical Standby????

So i was watching Aghapy TV
and someone asks the Pope aobut our relationship with the church of Eritreia
to which he responds its on hold, because their Patriarch who we acknowledge has been exiled to an undisclosed location and a new one has been elected by them.

Does this mean we are no longer allowed to celebrate with them?

Also some of the churches here in the US mention the Patriarch of Eritreia (Abouna Antonious) during the Seven Short Prayers. Im guessing logically that this is the exiled Patriarch

Does anyone know the story behind his exile and the new ones name?

Comments

• what exactly is the church of Eritreia?
    :/

• Its one of the Oriental Orthdox Churches (which we belong too)
    It brancehd from the Ethiopian Church,
  • We do not recognise the government appointed 'patriarch' who was not canonically appointed, and we pray for the rightful Patriarch Abba Antonius.

In February the Metropolitan of the British Orthodox Church, Abba Seraphim, issued the following statement:

4 February, 2007

STATEMENT BY HIS EMINENCE METROPOLITAN SERAPHIM

Recent reports about the shameful treatment of His Holiness Abune Antonios, Patriarch of the Eritrean Orthodox Church; to the effect that agents of Mr. Yoftahe Dimetros, the government appointed General Secretary of the Holy Synod, recently entered his place of confinement and removed his pontifical insignia and other personal effects, is further evidence of the indignities to which this holy and venerable prelate has been subjected since his illegal and uncanonical removal from office.

The despicable behaviour of Mr. Dimetros and of the faithless members of the Holy Synod under the intruded leadership of Bishop Dioscoros, and all those who willingly support their actions, are a shame and reproach to the Orthodox Church of Eritrea and the fruits of the apostasy and tyranny of the President of the Republic of Eritrea. These men have sat as false judges of Patriarch Antonios and, having demonstrated themselves to be without respect or pity for his consecrated calling, his health and well-being, have now placed themselves under the judgement of Almighty God.

I urge all Christians to pray fervently for the persecuted Eritrean Orthodox Christians and not to forget the Patriarch in his captivity but to keep him in special prayer and hold him and his righteous cause before the Lord in ardent supplication.

+ Seraphim
    Metropolitan of Glastonbury

In Christ,

Anglian
  • hmmm.....does that mean we no longer should partake of the sacraments with them i.e. cant take Communion in their Churches?
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5681.msg75783#msg75783 date=1187711686]
    hmmm.....does that mean we no longer should partake of the sacraments with them i.e. cant take Communion in their Churches?

i don't think that changes our connection with the church as a whole. so they r still our sister church.
  • The Coptic Orthodox Church's 20th patriarch, Abba Athanasius, was exiled and our Church was still able to take communion from all the other Oriental Orthodox Churches.
  • ya but at that time the Emperor imposed Patriarch Gregory the Arian, was not wanted and most Copts refused to acknowledge him
    but in todays case
    Many of the Eriterian Chruches Holy Synod acknowledge him as their Patriarch
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5681.msg75795#msg75795 date=1187726213]
    ya but at that time the Emperor imposed Patriarch Gregory the Arian, was not wanted and most Copts refused to acknowledge him
    but in todays case
    Many of the Eriterian Chruches Holy Synod acknowledge him as their Patriarch

than those r the churchs that u might not want to be in.
  • Then, why does our Church recognize the Eritrean Church nowadays and why do they recognize us?
  • Well the church is our sister church
    i.e. its beliefs are our beliefs
    we are fullly united

but now that the church has a "illegal" patriarch.....we are "on hold" thats where my question comes in
  • Yeah, you're right.