Contradiction within the deutrocanonical book of Tobit

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
In the deutrocanonical book of Tobit, there seems to be a rather lavish contradiction. Namely, in the book the Angel Raphael is presented as a liar when he says "I am an Israelite. I am Azaria, son of the great Ananias: TOB 5:18. He also said, "we belong to the sons of Naphtali who are the captives in Nineveh" TOB 7:3.
Now I understand that angels in the past have appeared as humans, as in the case of Abraham, Daniel and Joshua.

Someone suggested that the part where the Angel Raphael says "I am Azaria, son of Annanias.." is meant to mean 'I am the power of God from the passion of God' which is an angelic attribute.

My question is, how could he make such a deduction, when clearly in the book of tobit the angel DOES NOT SAY "I am the power of God".

Otherwise, how is "I am Azaria, son of Annanias.." meant to mean 'I am the power of God from the passion of God' ?

If these questions are not answered, it leaves the the contradiction still open to answering, namely, why is the angel depicted as a liar?

Regards,
Doogie

Comments

• [quote author=Doogie link=topic=5665.msg75582#msg75582 date=1187272263]
    Otherwise, how is "I am Azaria, son of Annanias.." meant to mean 'I am the power of God from the passion of God' ?

Azariah in Hebrew means "power of God", Annaniah means "passion of God." Note the suffix 'iah' or 'yah' in each word. This is short for Yahweh, which was the Name by which God revealed Himself to Moses.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5665.msg75588#msg75588 date=1187272852]
    [quote author=Doogie link=topic=5665.msg75582#msg75582 date=1187272263]

Azariah in Hebrew means "power of God", Annaniah means "passion of God." Note the suffix 'iah' or 'yah' in each word. This is short for Yahweh, which was the Name by which God revealed Himself to Moses.

was that clear for Tobit to understand or was only consider as a name to him??
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I'm sure Tobit as well as the other Hebrews in the later generations, were able to pick up on the subtleties between the name used and it's meaning.  We often find such word play existing in the scripture and was probably a very common literary device.
  • One of the important reasons the early Christians used a fish symbol as identity was the book of Tobit (Tobya). I read that the characters forming the word fish in ancient Greek language are "IXQUC". They are words initials in this sentence, when translated: "Jesus Christ [the] Son of God [and] Savior".

This detail shows and explains the wisdom and mercifulness of the Lord, His sending of Archangel Raphael, the Fish healing power and why the devil was defeated in Tobya's story.

(ref. http://popekirillos.net/ar/bible/Deuterocanonical_tafseer/anba-makarios/tobya/6.php)

GBU