Affirmation/Oath

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Affirmation – A promise to tell the truth in court.Used by people who do not wish to swear on the
Bible or other religious book.
Oath – A promise to tell the truth by swearing on a religious book that is important to the person making the promise.

which would you choose?? i would choose affirmation as i see it wrong swearing on the Bible, but what i dont understand is why so many christians (coptic too) are taking the oath........i dont get it............both the affirmation and oath mean nothing to non christians.......jus my thorts........

Comments

• Dear Kerestina,

Interesting question.

There are some Protestants who object to swearing on the Bible; and, of course, many atheists who also, for different reasons, object. But for Orthodox Christians there is nothing wrong, and much right, with swearing to tell the truth on the Bible; for a Christian it is the surest guarantee to others that you are telling the truth. Of course, when Britain was a more Christian country than it is today, this was precisely why that practice was introduced. It was thought in the nineteenth century that even the most hardened criminal would hesitate before lying on his Bible oath.

In Christ,

John
  • so we cant swear i  God's name but we can swear on his bible???
  • Matthew 5:34 (New International Version)
    New International Version (NIV)
    Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

34But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne;

Matthew 5:33-35 (New International Version)
    New International Version (NIV)
    Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

Oaths
    33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King.

• here are more quotes from the bible

Matthew 5:35-37

35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Matthew 23:15-17

15"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are.

16"Woe to you, blind guides! You say, 'If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but if anyone swears by the gold of the temple, he is bound by his oath.' 17You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred?

Hebrews 6:13 (New International Version)

The Certainty of God's Promise

13When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself,

Hebrews 6:16
    16Men swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument.

• im getting two views;
    so swearing an oath is ok, if you comply with it?
    or shudnt be swearing at all (including an oath)?
  • yeah I don't really get the point made by the verses either..
  • Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Certainly some Protestant groups, particularly the Quakers, would take these verses and make the point that is being made here. This suggests the dangers inherent in the habit of reading verses out of context.

We should render unto Caesar those things that are his. If the state asks us to swear an oath before we testify in court, then the state is justified in expecting us to comply; it is prideful and unnecessarily antagonistic to take these Biblical verses and say I will not swear an oath - if we are asked so to do. In practice most States let people affirm, so it isn't a problem. I am not sure the Church takes a view on this - other than the one that we render to God those things which are His, and to Caesar those which belong to him.

What are we saying if we take these verses and say - that justifies us not swearing to tell the truth by the book we hold most dear? Are we not being a trifle holier than thou in our attitude?

Of course, anyone with real scruples about this can affirm - but the fact that that practice was introduced to allow atheists and Protestants to take an oath without swearing it would make me doubtful about following their example. If in doubt, ask your priest.

In Christ,

John
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5224.msg70013#msg70013 date=1176885013]
    so we cant swear i  God's name but we can swear on his bible???

i don't think that's rit since the Bible is God's word. so some how there would be a connection to God from there.
  • i think we shouldn`t swear at all,but in the court we don`t have choice.
    it is like going to war,we shouldn`t kill anyone,however soldiers have to kill the enemies` soldiers otherwise they will be killed.
  • i see light in John's response, and i think that ppl do have a choice now; affirmation or oath
    i asked someone from uni this question and this was her response: Oath relates to a divine promise and affirmation is a statement that you believe is true.

muslims or non christians often take the affirmation so christians assume that its their duty to choose oath......and this is where i think those verses link into, if u do make an oath, we need to make sure we abide by it
  • So then its okai to do so ?
  • In short, yes!

In Christ,

John
  • thanks heaps :D
  • hey

did u know that it is now no longer used!!! that is the swearing on the physical Bible. it was a common practice to use the Bible now its just the words of the oath that are recited before giving evidence in court

i beleive that the following are the words of the oath where in the end you say i do

"do u swear to tell the truth and the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help u God if u do say i do"

although when iwas admitted within the Supreme Court of Australia iwas required to hold the bible as i was taking the oath to uphold the law etc. we were not asked to hold it with the right hand etc  as u see in the movies but simply have it in  our hands.

i believe you do not swear on the Bible as such, as u can see by the words of the oath.

the reason for the oath is that it is believed to be linked to the conscience. so that people if they swore by God would feel obliged to tell the truth out of fear of God etc. they needed the affirmation for non believers

in any event it is illegal to lie in court and this is called contempt and is an offence in its self.

this is the link to the Oaths Act if you wish to find out more (only applicable within New South Wales in Australia)

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/oa190079/s11a.html

Kristina123