Questions about Midnight prasies

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hello,
I was wondering if anybody knows what does the first till the fourth La Hoos means...what does each one mean.

Thanks you :)

yours in Chirst
Rana

Comments

• [quote author=rana rizk link=topic=5219.msg69879#msg69879 date=1176753709]
    Hello,
    I was wondering if anybody knows what does the first till the fourth La Hoos means...what does each one mean.

well if i am not mistaken,
    you first have the first hoos which the story of the Israelits crossing the red sea and how they were thanksful for that. you can know many details from the Hoos itself.
    than u have the second hoos which basicly asks every creature to thank God and than explains many acts of God.
    than you have the third hood which is the praise of the 3 saintly children. the text of the hoos is taken from the book of Daniel word to word as their prayer.
    than you have the pasli of Fr. Sarkis which refers to the 3 children and how they were always with God.
    than the cmmemoration which asks every creatre who have died and got to Paradies on our behalf in front of God. the creatures include those who were on earth and thse who are in heaven.
    then the fourth Hoos which is the last 3 psalms, 148, 149, 150 praising God.

of course there is a lot more to what i have said above. may be Hos erof can help here.

also there is a book about the history of tasbeha and how it was diffrent than what we have now.
  • Thanks, but i was wondering why do we say the first hoos (MOses and Israel)...how does this relate this to the New Testment.
  • [quote author=rana rizk link=topic=5219.msg69890#msg69890 date=1176755396]
    Thanks, but i was wondering why do we say the first hoos (MOses and Israel)...how does this relate this to the New Testment.

there is no diffrence betwwen the new and the old they're all one bible. the 3rd hoos, the 2nd, and the fourth are parts of the old testement.
  • The first Hoos talks about God's salvation for us.

It's actually full of symbolism.

Moses is a typ of Christ who delivered us from the slavery (=death and sin) of satan (= the devil) by crossing the red sea (=baptism) which he split by his rod (=the cross) - to take us to the promised land (=the Kingdom of God).

If you continue the story in the desert you would see that the people were given Manna to eat, as not to die of starvation in the wildernis. This relates to us surviving spiritually in this world by partaking of the Holy Communion in which we eat the Holy Body and Blood of Christ.

Moses never entered the promised land, he resembled the law of the Old Testament, whereas Joshua did enter. Notice that Joshua and Jesus are basically the same name in Hebrew.
    So what did Joshua do, he crossed the Jordan with the people to enter the promised land. This symbolises our death in the flesh, when we will finally reach our destination.

[coptic]P=,=c aftwnf[/coptic]
  • Thanks Hos Erof so muchh...i like that so much.
  • You welcome :)

If you read the Theotokia of Sunday you will find a lot more wonderfull symbols, mainly about the tabernacle that Moses made.
  • HI, Hos Erof,
    I was wondering if u can explain to me the second hoos...how does it symbolize Jesus as you explained to me the first hoos.
    Thanks
    Rana
  • there is a nice contemplation on the second hoos here as well as other parts of the midnight praise: http://copticheritage.org/PagEd+index-page_id-778.phtml

http://copticheritage.org/index.php?name=PagEd&topictoview=49#onetopicitem5

GB
    Tony
  • Hallo I´m John, can somebody tell me more about Tasbeha?