Ibrahim Ayad Biography

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guys have any history about Ibrahim Ayad, or you have any links to his biography, for example:

where he was born and grew up
how he became the mullam currently, you know, stuff like that.

Comments

• That's a good topic, I tried to get information about ibrahim ayad as well, it would be great if someone can get us his biography
  • [quote author=kmeka001 link=topic=5078.msg68320#msg68320 date=1173338621]
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guys have any history about Ibrahim Ayad, or you have any links to his biography, for example:

where he was born and grew up
    how he became the mullam currently, you know, stuff like that.

there is nothing specific about him anywhere. but we know that he became so femous of being chosen by HH to be his deacon.
  • My brother in law wanted him to pray the ceremony for his wedding; he didn't stay that long.

Are u looking for a career in being a Mo3alim?

I can tell u, in Paris, it seems that everyone thinks he's a mo3alim.. they all sing so loud on the mic.. and the church is so small.

I know mo3allim ibo is good, but i think we should all learn to sing together. It gives a wrong example to kids actually.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5078.msg68451#msg68451 date=1173722621]
    My brother in law wanted him to pray the ceremony for his wedding; he didn't stay that long.

Are u looking for a career in being a Mo3alim?

lol, great one vassilios.

I can tell u, in Paris, it seems that everyone thinks he's a mo3alim.. they all sing so loud on the mic.. and the church is so small.

I know mo3allim ibo is good, but i think we should all learn to sing together. It gives a wrong example to kids actually.

i wish everyone think taht way. you know what's weird, the real moallemin are tha ones that say they're not.
  • Hi Mina,
    Yeah, its so bad in Paris cos they've got these wireless microphones, which are handy, but when u see the deacons (the young ones) hold them, u can't help but imagine Salt N'Peppa on stage - and it seems that one of them is going to start rapping saying "I pay the price, to make ma mic sound nice".

Its silly. and then all the other kids get jealous ; because they want there go on "the mic"... and where is worshipping Our Lord in this Coptic Karaoke Contest?? Huh???

I don't understand: why can't we sing together as Christians? as ONE BODY. It seems its always a solo show. Its like, all the shammamsa are going to heaven, but the sha3b (the people) are doomed because they didnt sing!!!!!

What bothers me about Mo3alim Ibrahim Ayad is ONE thing: He teaches Coptic Hymns, but he doesnt pronounce Coptic well.

Coptic Christians should REALLY MAKE the effort to say the letters "Pi" with a P and NOT with a "B", its ePouro!! not EBouro.

And Agios Otheos is GREEK! So, they should pronounce it with the greek letters.

Its NOT ZOXABATRI, its dthoxa-Patri.

• [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5078.msg68465#msg68465 date=1173733482]
    Hi Mina,
    Yeah, its so bad in Paris cos they've got these wireless microphones, which are handy, but when u see the deacons (the young ones) hold them, u can't help but imagine Salt N'Peppa on stage - and it seems that one of them is going to start rapping saying "I pay the price, to make ma mic sound nice".

Its silly. and then all the other kids get jealous ; because they want there go on "the mic"... and where is worshipping Our Lord in this Coptic Karaoke Contest?? Huh???

I don't understand: why can't we sing together as Christians? as ONE BODY. It seems its always a solo show. Its like, all the shammamsa are going to heaven, but the sha3b (the people) are doomed because they didnt sing!!!!!

What bothers me about Mo3alim Ibrahim Ayad is ONE thing: He teaches Coptic Hymns, but he doesnt pronounce Coptic well.

well now he records wat it was handed down to him, and sings in the cathedral by diffrent ways that are a lot closer to the pronounciation of the coptic.

Coptic Christians should REALLY MAKE the effort to say the letters "Pi" with a P and NOT with a "B", its ePouro!! not EBouro.

there is no P in arabic soo....they just say B.

And Agios Otheos is GREEK! So, they should pronounce it with the greek letters.
    Its NOT ZOXABATRI, its dthoxa-Patri.

the "tha" "thee" letters in arabic are ignored. that's why you have "Etnen" instead of "ethnen" which means two.

Also the coptic today is not the original copric. the original is the Bohairic pronunciation that very little priests use now. the coptic that we have in liturgys today, pronunciation wise, was edited by Pope Cyril the 5th (not sure, may be th 4th). same one who brought the greek parts into the church.

• I must disagree with the fact that it gives kids the wrong example. a lot of the Mualimeen record on their own and not necessarily in a group. And actually in our church its opposite. Most of us are always trying to push the mic away so that not one person is heard but the group. we have a couple of kids that are the exception and always want to be heard but overall not one person in our church wants to hog the mic. which i think is amazing. Although we sing in a group we also switch off with one other deacon (the way Ibrahim Ayad does in his liturgy) not because he wants to show off that he is the head but because we have a small church with not many deacons. Sorry for rambling on

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness,
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=5078.msg68470#msg68470 date=1173734896]
    I must disagree with the fact that it gives kids the wrong example. a lot of the Mualimeen record on their own and not necessarily in a group. And actually in our church its opposite. Most of us are always trying to push the mic away so that not one person is heard but the group. we have a couple of kids that are the exception and always want to be heard but overall not one person in our church wants to hog the mic. which i think is amazing. Although we sing in a group we also switch off with one other deacon (the way Ibrahim Ayad does in his liturgy) not because he wants to show off that he is the head but because we have a small church with not many deacons. Sorry for rambling on

i agree. same in my church. that's a reason we can't call one deacon a muallem. they're all muallemin.
    another thing is that mostly you just gve the mic to the old as a sign of respect of course.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5078.msg68472#msg68472 date=1173735075]
    [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=5078.msg68470#msg68470 date=1173734896]
    I must disagree with the fact that it gives kids the wrong example. a lot of the Mualimeen record on their own and not necessarily in a group. And actually in our church its opposite. Most of us are always trying to push the mic away so that not one person is heard but the group. we have a couple of kids that are the exception and always want to be heard but overall not one person in our church wants to hog the mic. which i think is amazing. Although we sing in a group we also switch off with one other deacon (the way Ibrahim Ayad does in his liturgy) not because he wants to show off that he is the head but because we have a small church with not many deacons. Sorry for rambling on

i agree. same in my church. that's a reason we can't call one deacon a muallem. they're all muallemin.
    another thing is that mostly you just gve the mic to the old as a sign of respect of course.

I agree we do it as a sign of respect as well
  • out of all respect, ibrahim ayad is an extremely well taught man.  He definately knows more hymns and about hymnology than I or anyone else here probably.  However, he plays around with the lahn way to much if i do say so myself.  Maybe its just a habit, and he doesnt mean to do it, but i can be listening to like eflogimenos and out of no where he'll stick in an extra hazza or something, lol.  But ya thats just my opinion.  other than that aspect i think hes great.  I mean if the pope chose him to be his deacon, he must be great.

-peter
  • I think when he adds hazzat it is more of worshipping than anything else and doesn't really take away from the actual tune. if he does it to a point where the hymns sound completely different than what they should then it is a problem. Do you get what i mean?
  • Well, I think from own opinion that Ibrahim ayad is just a great moallem, I personally think that the way that he sings the alhan makes it nicer and deeper.  He definitely doesn't add hazzat, but rahter he makes the hazzat longer.  I mean this is just my opinion, I'm not a muallem to say who is good and who is not, but I just love ibrahim ayad and i love learning alhan from him.  One of my very dear friends used to think that Ibrahim ayad is a show off until he went once to egypt and met ibrahim ayad and had a talk with him.  After coming back, my friend said that Ibrahim ayad is the nicest person you can imagine, very humble person.  BUT HANG ON GUYS, WE SITLL DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION ABOUT THE BIOGRAPHY OF IBRAHIM AYAD.  But i know some information that he was taut by muallem farag abdel messeh and muallem sadek atalla, and some others but i can't remember their name now.

Also i have a question here: does anyone know where i can get ALHAN TEACHING LESSONS LIKE THE ONES FOR CANTOR GAD LOWEES for the sunday midnight praise? i really need it

thanks
  • Hey guys,

By the way, thanks guys for clearing those thoughts that have been rambling on in my head about if Ibrahim Ayaad was a show-off or really into alhan and uses them [alhan] as a way to pray, unlike the people in my church where they really "slaughter" alhan by the way they add hazat, hog the mic., and tease each other with who has a good voice. I had a question though, does anyone know a way of communication with Ibrahim Ayaad, for someone who does not live in Egypt; namely "me", and other people on this website. Thanks a lot. =)
  • Well, if u are looking to pursue a career as a Mo3allim, all i can tell u this: For marriages, they get around 200 egyptian pounds for 10 minutes work. I'm not sure for funerals; but people get married often, and people do pass away; so there's always work available.

Its great still to hear that the youth in your Church are all ONE choir. That's wonderful. I met some kid in the UK that told me "Oh man! Its not fair, i never get to sing alone on the mic.. and i know all the stuff". What's wrong with singing together???

Also, i love Coptic, I don't think we should lose it, but it worries me that most kids who sing in Coptic don't really understand it. How do i know? Well.. the little mo3allimeen in the UK don't read arabic. They only read english. All the songs they sing (ALONE!) are in Coptic. I know they don't understand a word of it; they just listen to MC Ibrahim Ayad tapes all day.

I remmeber once, we were doing the tasbeha at Saint Mark's in London, and before each Hoss, there's always someone that says "Amin allelouia, Kerialayson.. " And then everyone says "Kerialiayson, Kerialayson"...

Well.. one guy did this really funny impersonation of MC Ibrahim. I think he was serious. I think they were just making fun of the fact that he's now reached the level of singing solo like Mo3alim Ibrahim.

If u can all sing together like our brothers in Amsterdam - great! Also, its so important to try and get the people in the congregation to sing with u also!!! I mean... NOT EVERYONE can read coptic!!!
  • Hi there, well unfortunately i don't know how to get in contact with ibrahim ayad, but I just want to say onething that might help you understand why ibrahim ayad records the alhan in solo.  Guys/Girls, Ibrahim ayad is an alhan teach in the HICS, he is a teacher and his job is to learn alhan and teach it to other, therefore he records it solo on tapes so that other people can learn as well.  The point that he has a good voice doesn't mean that he is trying to show off or anything.  All the point is that he is doing his job.  His Holiness Pope Shenouda chose him to be his own deacon and to take care of alhan and teach it, so he has to do his role, he is not trying to show off or anything at all.  Exactly like your muallem in the church, his job is to teach alhan.  I hope i helped.  I personally think that Alhan is a great way of prayer and getting closer to God.  The tone of alhan touches my feelings and emotions and I always feel that I can talk to God when I'm listening to alhan.  So Yea, i mean that's my opinion and that's what I think about alhan, I'm trying my best to learn as much as possible, it dream that one day i will know most of the alhan in my church but i guess that It needs consistency and time.  Pray for me,

Baladoos
  • Our sunday school teacher (in london) after he learnt coptic, he made a cassette and started to distribute it. hhaha. it was so funny - because he just learnt it himself.

He sounded really bad. Anyway, i bought the cassette, and played it in the Church hall. He tried to grab it off me. It was my cassette. He said he really regretted making the tape.

Hahahahah... he wanted to become famous i think. It worries me that people sing stuff all night they don't really understand a word it means!!!
  • [quote author=baladoos link=topic=5078.msg68490#msg68490 date=1173778098]
    Hi there, well unfortunately i don't know how to get in contact with ibrahim ayad, but I just want to say onething that might help you understand why ibrahim ayad records the alhan in solo.  Guys/Girls, Ibrahim ayad is an alhan teach in the HICS, he is a teacher and his job is to learn alhan and teach it to other, therefore he records it solo on tapes so that other people can learn as well.  The point that he has a good voice doesn't mean that he is trying to show off or anything.  All the point is that he is doing his job.  His Holiness Pope Shenouda chose him to be his own deacon and to take care of alhan and teach it, so he has to do his role, he is not trying to show off or anything at all.  Exactly like your muallem in the church, his job is to teach alhan.  I hope i helped.  I personally think that Alhan is a great way of prayer and getting closer to God.  The tone of alhan touches my feelings and emotions and I always feel that I can talk to God when I'm listening to alhan.   So Yea, i mean that's my opinion and that's what I think about alhan, I'm trying my best to learn as much as possible, it dream that one day i will know most of the alhan in my church but i guess that It needs consistency and time.  Pray for me,

who said anything against Ibrahim Ayad. there is nothing wrong about, except the change of ways from 2 recording of the same rite.
    btw, he is just an oghnostos . also he teachs in HICS but he's not part of it.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5078.msg68492#msg68492 date=1173778363]
    Our sunday school teacher (in london) after he learnt coptic, he made a cassette and started to distribute it. hhaha. it was so funny - because he just learnt it himself.

He sounded really bad. Anyway, i bought the cassette, and played it in the Church hall. He tried to grab it off me. It was my cassette. He said he really regretted making the tape.

Hahahahah... he wanted to become famous i think. It worries me that people sing stuff all night they don't really understand a word it means!!!

oh god, you're so bad.
  • Hey Mina
    Lol I'm sorry, I probably gave the wrong impression when I was telling the story about my friend.  I'm not judging anyone at all and also not saying that anyone here said anything about ibrahim ayad.  I was just telling a story though.

forgive me if i gave the wrong impression

God bless

Baladoos
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5078.msg68498#msg68498 date=1173801773]
    [quote author=baladoos link=topic=5078.msg68490#msg68490 date=1173778098]
    Hi there, well unfortunately i don't know how to get in contact with ibrahim ayad, but I just want to say onething that might help you understand why ibrahim ayad records the alhan in solo.  Guys/Girls, Ibrahim ayad is an alhan teach in the HICS, he is a teacher and his job is to learn alhan and teach it to other, therefore he records it solo on tapes so that other people can learn as well.  The point that he has a good voice doesn't mean that he is trying to show off or anything.  All the point is that he is doing his job.  His Holiness Pope Shenouda chose him to be his own deacon and to take care of alhan and teach it, so he has to do his role, he is not trying to show off or anything at all.  Exactly like your muallem in the church, his job is to teach alhan.  I hope i helped.  I personally think that Alhan is a great way of prayer and getting closer to God.  The tone of alhan touches my feelings and emotions and I always feel that I can talk to God when I'm listening to alhan.   So Yea, i mean that's my opinion and that's what I think about alhan, I'm trying my best to learn as much as possible, it dream that one day i will know most of the alhan in my church but i guess that It needs consistency and time.  Pray for me,

who said anything against Ibrahim Ayad. there is nothing wrong about, except the change of ways from 2 recording of the same rite.
    btw, he is just an oghnostos . also he teachs in HICS but he's not part of it.

You mean he isnt an archdeacon????
  • No he is only an oghnostos which is only the second level. he would be extremely young to be an archdeacon now a days. or even a deacon.