Rites of Bright saturday (night of the apocalypse)

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
hey guys, i have to give a sunday school lesson soon about the night of the apocalypse, and i was wondering if anyone had the order/rites of its hymns handy.  And any other extra information that i might not know, would also help alot, lol.  Thanx alot in advance.

-pete

Comments

• Pete,

We can go into great detail of the exact order or rite, but you can do/say the following:

1) The reason why the church celebrates bright Saturday, etc...?
    The church does not want to sleep while our Lord is in the grave.  We are in anticipation of Christ's Resurrection.
    2) Explanation of what we do
    a) the church prays in both Sad and Annual Tune because we are sad that Jesus had to die for our sins but we know that He will rise from the dead.
    b) We spend the Entire night praising God (Mainly regular tasbeha)
    c) We read the "prayers" from the old testament about people who God saved (Story of Sosanna, Daniel, 3 saintly Children, etc...)
    d) We read the book of Revelation to know what is waiting for us, now that Jesus has opened the gates of Paradise for us
    e) The priest would then anoint the congregation with the "joyous oil".  This is the same oil used in weddings that the priest anoints the bride and groom with.
    3) Liturgy
    a) We pray the liturgy while keeping the barial icon on the alter
    b) We do not read the Catholic Epistles since there is no church yet establised
    c) We do not read the Praxis since the apostles didn't preach yet
    d) We do not read the synixariam because we do not celebrate anyone else's life (or death) other than Jesus.  Also, since Jesus didn't rise yet, then there are no saints yet
    e) we do not pray the prayer of reconciliation (like Thursday) because God didn't reconcile with us yet.
    f) We do not pray the commoration of the Saints since there are no saints yet.

I hope this helps.
  • Thanks alot coptic boy,this is exactly the stuff i need.  Quick question though, just for my own common knowledge, lol, you know in the 1st hour gospel and psalm how we split it in pascha tune and the anual tune, is there a certain point where the deacon is suppose to switch over to anual, or is it just somewhere near the middle when he feels ready?
    thanx again.
  • [quote author=CopticPete link=topic=5064.msg68203#msg68203 date=1173059974]
    Thanks alot coptic boy,this is exactly the stuff i need.  Quick question though, just for my own common knowledge, lol, you know in the 1st hour gospel and psalm how we split it in pascha tune and the anual tune, is there a certain point where the deacon is suppose to switch over to anual, or is it just somewhere near the middle when he feels ready?
    thanx again.

there is 4 verses in the psalm, 2 etribi, 2 festive.
    the gospel, mostly deacons change where it said:

...and say to the people, 'He has risen from the dead.'

becasue it speaks about how Christ would rise from the dead and apear again.
  • Thanx alot minagir, and sorry again, im bothering u guys with another question, lol.  You know how when the third hoos is said, the refrain only comes in every three verses afterrr the 7th verse.  meaning it starts after the 9th.  Is there a reason for that?
    thanx again.
  • [quote author=CopticPete link=topic=5064.msg68217#msg68217 date=1173105290]
    Thanx alot minagir, and sorry again, im bothering u guys with another question, lol.  You know how when the third hoos is said, the refrain only comes in every three verses afterrr the 7th verse.  meaning it starts after the 9th.  Is there a reason for that?
    thanx again.

Here is the third hoos:

Blessed are You, O Lord, God of our Fathers, and exceedingly to be praised, and exalted above all forever.
    Blessed is Your Holy Name and Your glory, and exceedingly to be praised and exalted above all forever.
    Blessed are You in the holy temple of Your Glory, and exceedingly to be praised and exalted above all forever
    Blessed are You who beholds the depths and sits upon the Cherubim, and exceedingly to be praised, and exalted above all forever.
    Blessed are You on the Throne of Your kingdom, and exceedingly to be praised and exalted above all forever.
    Blessed are You in the firmament of heaven and exceedingly to be praised, and exalted above all forever

- Bless the Lord, O you works of the Lord, Praise Him and exalt Him above all forever.
    Bless the Lord, O heaven, Praise Him and exalt Him above all forever.
    Bless the Lord, all you angels of the Lord, Praise Him and exalt Him above all forever.

Refrain:
    Praise Him, glorify Him, exalt Him, above all forever. For He is praised, for He is glorified, and He is above the ages, and his mercy endures forever. (please excuse the translation it’s not as accurate)

you're saying praise Him, glorify...exalt. Who you saying that to? You say it to the creatures that are on earth which are only mentioned from the beginning of "Bless the Lord, O you works of the Lord.."

If you try to put it in the first couple of parts, it wont make since because there, you're blessing God by saying "Blessed are You in the holy temple of Your Glory..."
  • good point, that makes total sense, i was trying to figure it out briefly so i guess i didnt think of that, thanx again.

-pete
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5064.msg68219#msg68219 date=1173115918]
    Refrain:
    Praise Him, glorify Him, exalt Him, above all forever. For He is praised, for He is glorified, and He is above the ages, and his mercy endures forever. (please excuse the translation it’s not as accurate)

FINALLY I FOUND THIS POST!!!!! can someone please give the arabic translation to what is above, and if the refrain above is a little off can someone fix it? it will be very useful soon.
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=5064.msg101334#msg101334 date=1238116670]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=5064.msg68219#msg68219 date=1173115918]
    Refrain:

FINALLY I FOUND THIS POST!!!!! can someone please give the arabic translation to what is above, and if the refrain above is a little off can someone fix it? it will be very useful soon.

give me a hal fhour to get to the text i have....
  • + Praise Him, glorify Him, and exalt Him, His mercy is forever.
    + For He is praised, glorified, and exalted above the ages, His mercy is forever.

سبحوه، مجدوه، زيدوا علواً إلى الأبد رحمته.
    فهو المُسبح، والمُمجد، والمُتعالي على الدهور، وإلى الأبد رحمته.
  • i know it been a while, but i have a RECORDING of the english for this:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TGBE0R00

download fast