The 2nd verse in Meghalo

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Dear all,
I found Cantor Zaher recorded the 2nd verse in Meghalo ...
http://alhan.youthbishopric.com

regards
sas0

Comments

• [quote author=sas0 link=topic=5005.msg67626#msg67626 date=1171569857]
    Dear all,
    I found Cantor Zaher recorded the 2nd verse in Meghalo ...
    http://alhan.youthbishopric.com

regards
    sas0

now why would you rakeeb this hymn?!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Yeah that doesn't make sense.
  • http://www.coptichymns.net/module-hymns-catview-pid-72.html

Go to Cantor Tewfik Youssef's second one where it says Meghalou Cantor Tewfik Youssef
    The Hymn of the Great High Priest to be chanted after the reading of the Acts.
    This is a recording of ALL the verses of the hymn.

This recording has the second and third verses chanted along with the first but it's 33 minutes.
  • Actually, the version that I have of Zaher, he doesnt rakeb anything. The second verse has a unique tune and is not at all like the first verse. However, I am not sure of its validity. I like it though

GB
    Tony
  • yeah....i found out that.
  • This may be a silly question but what does 'rakeb' mean when it comes to hymns? I know it means "to build" in arabic.

Thanks.
  • Rakeb means you take a tune and put on other words without them necessarily being "set"
  • i also like to use "constructed" as a translation of rakeb
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5005.msg111339#msg111339 date=1267407746]
    Actually, the version that I have of Zaher, he doesnt rakeb anything. The second verse has a unique tune and is not at all like the first verse. However, I am not sure of its validity. I like it though

GB
    Tony

wait....now since i heard m Tawfik's recording, he says the 2nd part in the long tune. so what's M Zaher source?
  • Dear Mina,
    People say that cantor Zaher learnt from cantor Faheem, but I am not sure if the latter was the source. I have an inkling (and I may be completely wrong) that cantor Zaher borrowed the tune from the Greek church (if indeed they sing that hymn at all), and modified it to suit the Coptic style. Probably my inkling stems from a hymn that I heard before on youtube - but again I may be 1000% wrong.
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • That might be right. Maybe i might need to go to mFaheem to check.
  • yes Mina, please check and let me know as well.
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • As far as I have heard, Muallem Tewfik and Zaher are the only two to have recorded the entirety of Mighalo. I listened to a recording of muallem fahim and he does not say the whole verse, but ends it like most do with agios isheros, agios athanatos eleison emas. Maybe there is another recording out there that muallem zaher is referring too? I'm not sure if I would agree with either method, Did muallem mikhail record the whole hymn the way tewfik did? Maybe the way cantor Zaher did it is more practical now due to time constraints in the liturgies, and we accept both? I'm not sure.

Pray for me and my weakness
  • Cantor Faheem never recorded the second verse.  It may have been passed by verebal tradition--though.

I asked him directly once, and he told me not to dwell on these issues, and that it was not important.  That is both a paraphrase and translation of his response.