m*** vs. liturgy

edited February 2007 in Faith Issues
hiii

wats the diference between m*** and liturgy?????? ??? ???

Comments

• i read about the differences in my Church's magazine but i forgot. i'll have to look for it. i remember it said something along the lines of how mass is only for Catholics or something...
  • oooo
    realii
    b4 i heard that one of them is with a congregation and the other 1 is without.......
    the thing is i don no wich 1 is wich
    god bless
  • We as Coptic Orthodox Christians are supposed to use the term Liturgy. We are also supposed to use the term Resurection instead of Easter as Easter is a pagan name. Easter and Mass are Catholic terms that we don't use. not sure why though any one can further expand on this
  • kinda the same as christmas and nativity
  • Yeah, the main differences in the words are they are used by different people. e.g. Mass=catholic, liturgy=coptic
  • we had this discussion millions time before, i cant find the thread but Iqbal explained that mas comes from the latin word missa (to dismiss), and its the specific liturgical service with the eucharist.

The word liturgy comes from greek and means "work of the people", so its basicaly any service we have in church (baptism is a liturgical rite, the blessing of the water, the vespers etc).

from my person understanding mass and eucharistic liturgy can both be used to name the service in which we have holy communion.
  • is it wrong if we copts say mass. i meen we are kind of use to it... rite.... hmm :o

is it rong
  • Well when ever I say it in my church I get yelled at by my friends they say it's wrong but I don't think it matters
  • Mass means the celebration of the Eucharist i.e. Holy Communion

Liturgy means public service, or common work...which implies the coordination of various roles in the Parish.

The Divine Liturgy is the phrase we tend to use in reference to the celebration of the Eucharist.

The refusal or reluctance to use the term "Mass" may be from the abscence of what is called "Low Mass", which is using incense. But that hardly seems adequate.

It may be that the "Mass" in the Catholic usage has been plagued with characteristics that are not Orthodox. Perhaps it is its connection with the idea of "Transubstantion" formulated by the Roman Church. The Latin Mass has varied since the 4th century, whilst the Orthodox Church have kept and preserved it, with only slight modifications.

It is worthy to note that Churches who continue this Sacrament in the West, such as Methodist and Lutherans, they also tend to refrain from refering to their Eucharist as Mass but Liturgy.

I have not been able to find a direct argument over the use of "Mass" to term our Liturgy, but the word is foreign to us, and we should not carry a term that have inherent characteristics attached.