The bible vs Evolution

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
hey everyone,

Im sure youve all thought of this before, and ive been reading about it for quite some time now, and am now studying evolution. Now it seems evolution doesnt at all relate to the creation story in the bible, but I know that the bible is true, and ive been told evolution actually does exist in the bible and the bible agrees with science on many different levele. I was jsut wondering if anyone had any interesting facts about the bible agreeing with evolution.

Comments

• i am not sure if this is right or not someone correct me if i am wrong but i think evolution of the animals is real. the bible said that God created everything in six days. the thing is one day to God could be millions of years and that he took his time so that everything would be perfect for Adam and Eve. Which would explain the dinosars and other animals that are extinct. they evolved until they were perfect as we know them and then God created Adam and Eve. again if this sounds bizarre anyone correct me if i am absolutely wrong.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • jydeacon... ur right, abouna Tadros yacob malaty in his book "Genesis", he talks about this too... he also says that God most likely created other animals that died/extinct that we don't know about...

about evolution and the creation of earth... science and scientists mainly believe in a theory called "The big bang". in it, they say that all of the universe was just one BIG rock in space that due to tremendous heat pressure, it exploded and created that sun, mars, earth, our milkyway, etc..etc..etc..
    Now, when they came out with this theory, the catholic church did not oppose the idea, since they say, this might have happened when god said let there be light, and this giant rock, broke into pieces and the sun was created, and hence light came forth...
    scientists even go nuts trying to figure out what really caused the explosion to happen and what was the temp seconds/milliseconds/nanoseconds before the explosion... and they even have formulas to calc those numbers :-\
    anyway... i never bothered to investegate about our belief (coptic orthodox) since i simply believe that god created everything from nothing... to be honest with u too, i don't believe in the big bang thing, since it doesn't explain alot of things in the bible.. for example, it says that the spirit of god was dwelling on the face of the waters... that means there was waters which would cool down this rising temp and the big bang wouldn't have happened... just my personal opinion on this theory... also, where did this big rock come from... where did the space that encapuslated this rock come from??
  • How is it possible that animals became extinct before Adam and Eve were created? Neither sin nor death entered Earth until after Adam and Eve sinned. So, how could animals have been extinct before Adam and Eve were even created?
  • There are some other specific things that i kinda find hard to explain...

for instance you will hear priest say that nature itself became violent due to the fall of man into sin. Before that, all animals lived peacefully together. Can anyone explain this rationally...

Also, it is known that a lot of diseases are due to faults in the genetic code (ie DNA). Now, did man have a faultless DNA code before the fall? If yes, did it just change over time since the fall? What about the fact that we share a huge deal of DNA with a lot of other species...when I look at the biochemistry of the body and the celbiology, i just cannot help myself believe that Evolution must have been the way man was CREATED.

The bible says that God created man from the dust of the earth...whats wrong with the idea that God created man via evolution? After all, all molecules and organic substances necessary for life are "dust".

I'm really curious about all ur views!!
  • well, first off, the way u described the big bang theory is wrong. the theory, as it now stands, goes like this:

The Big Bang Theory
    1. in the beginning of the universe, there was extremely hot, extremely dense plasma, consisting of just simple particles, clumped together
    2. these particles eventually got to a point where gravity was so great, they became like a black hole, a point of infinite density, great amount of mass and zero volume
    3. this black hole exploded, creating all space and time as we know it
    4. however, this explosion created everything over millions of years.
    5. after the explosion, as mass, consisting of only subatomic particles, was moving outwardly, little by little the universe got less and less dense and hot. In the process particles were constantly combining and breaking apart, causing the creation of the first suns and eventually masses of rocks, which became planets.

observations that "prove" the big bang
    1. after any explosion of such magnitude as the big bang, one would expect a certain amount of radiation. this radiation, known as Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation, can be found in space today.
    2. the big bang would obviously expel matter outwardly. Since we know that the universe is expanding, and galaxies are getting farther and farther apart, it serves as proof of the early explosion that caused the expansion to begin in the first place.

Problems with the theory
    1. as extensive as this theory is, it doesn't explain what happened before the big bang. In fact, scientists are still arguing that to this day.
    2. the big bang assumes a statistical impossibility, which is that one primordial explosion cause all the elements to form and combine in the way that they are now.
    3. the big bang theory cannot be extrapolated into the future, leaving two extreme possibilities for the future of the universe: that it will continue increasing forever, or eventually begin to contract into nothing.

Theology and Theory
    1. Even if the big bang actually happened, who's to say that GOD didn't cause it. In fact, because it is impossible that something can come out of nothing, the existence of a supreme being who created everything out of nothing is logical.

hope this didn't confuse anyone. ;D