Question regarding covenants

WMAWMA
edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi everyone,
I haven't had much of a chance to post or read on Tasbeha much lately, but I was just looking through tonight, and remember some questions I was looking for answers for, and thought I'd seek some answers on a particularly troubling issue from you guys.

Basically, as you all know, God declares various covenants with different people or groups at different times throughout the Bible - and presently I'm particularly interested in some of the ones declared in the earlier parts of the Old Testament.

At various points, particularly withing Exodus, God declares a covenant with the Israelites(are the Israelites mentioned here akin to Jews?) - for example;

Exodus 31:16-17
Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath, through their generations, as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel forever; for in 6 days the LORD made the heavens and on the seventh he rested and was refreshed
Declarations of the covenant above imply with them that God will maintain this covenant forever - does this mean the children of Israel(The Jews?) are still God's people? I've been quite troubled on this issue for a bit now, and any answers would be appreciated.

Comments

• The Church is the "new Israel". This is implied in verses such as Acts 15:14 and 1 Peter 2:10.
  • But if the Church is the new Israel, does that mean they have to keep the covenant of observing the Sabbath?
  • Hey everyone... I'm happy to be back... please pray for me, im under tons of stress...

A common misconception is that the word "Sabbath" means Saturday. Sabbath technically means the day of rest. In the OT, God appointed the day of rest as Saturday. However, Christ resseructed on Sunday. So we received rest from our eternal punishment on a Sunday, which is why we worship on Sunday and not any other day of the week...

Hope I helped
    Please don't forget to pray for me you guys...
  • so then do we have to keep the sabbath?
    im still confused about this... when can we work and when not?