Be Angry and Do Not Sin

edited September 2006 in Faith Issues
"Be angry and do not sin"

(Ephesians 4:26 i think and also Psalm 68 i think)

whats ur interpretation?

today in the talk i attended they said the anger being referred to was the anger of like defending the faith etc.

any ideas?

Kristina123

Comments

• There are two types of anger.

An anger that teaches and nurtures and an anger that criticises and banishes, leading often to sin.

• well can u please expand and provide practical examples and also provide references

this verse has perplexed me for quite a long time

Kristina123
  • First of all, anger is not always sin.

Biblically, anger is a God-given energy intended to help us solve problems.

For example in many instances God is angry, "God is a just judge, And God is angry with the wicked every day". Psalm 7:11

Further believers are commanded to be angry (Ephesians 4:26) as u say kristina123.

Examples of biblical uses of anger include Paul confronting Peter because of his wrong example in Galatians 2:11-14.

David being upset over hearing Nathan the prophet sharing an injustice (2 Samuel 12),

Jesus getting angry over how some of the Jews had defiled the Gentiles’ place of worship at God’s temple in Jerusalem (John 2:13-18). I

But anger turns to sin when it is selfishly motivated (James 1:20)

when God’s goal is distorted (1 Corinthians 10:31)

when anger is allowed to linger (Ephesians 4:26-27).

Instead of using the energy generated by anger to attack the problem at hand, one attacks the person instead.

Ephesians 4:15, 19 say we are to speak the truth in love and to use our words to build up others, and not to allow rotten or destructive words to pour from our lips.

Unfortunately, this poisonous speech is a common characteristic of fallen man (Romans 3:13-14).

Anger becomes sin when it is allowed to boil over without restraint, Solomon says a "fool vents all his feelings But a wise man holds them back (Proverbs 29:11), this vent of anger leaves devastation in its wake...often with irreparable consequences.

Anger also becomes sin when one clams up (Ephesians 4:26-27) This causes one to become depressed and irritable and fly off the handle over any little thing, often things unrelated to the underlying problem.

• I agree with Hardyakka. Also, the Holy Fathers often teach that we should direct our anger at the Adversary, in order to fight temptation. I'm guessing that's what St Paul means.

But it does not mean losing one's self-control or lashing out in selfish pride, etc.
  • Be angry at the consequence of sin and its ugliness. I dont know about you but I hate the feeling of regret after i sin.

Pray for me (just say God be with this person for me)
    thanks!