RE: DRINKING OF ALCOHOL

tktk
edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi fellows,
this is probably going to upset a couple of us but I find this topic quite interesting being that it had been discussed earlier [on: May 27, 2004, posted by Wasim] .
I am reposting this hoping we have since developed new angles to the earlier responses.
I found most of the responses funny and without serious scriptural support except for a few.
Please let the ball start rolling.

Comments

• Below are some verses that have made clear pronouncements against drinking.
    I lifted the points from another document on similar issue.

1 Corinthians 6:10 lists drunkards among those who will not inherit the kingdom of God. "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, NOR DRUNKARDS, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Galatians 5:21 "Envyings, murders, DRUNKENNESS, revelings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have told you in time past, that THEY WHICH DO SUCH THINGS SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD."

Proverbs 23:19-21, "Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the way. Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: for the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty."

Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

Isaiah 5:11, 22 "Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them! Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink. "

Hosea 4:11 "Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart."

Titus 2:11-12 tells us, "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.
    God does not want us to even spend time with people who are drunkards.

1 Corinthians 5:11, 13 "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such a one, no, not to eat... therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person."

Ephesians 5:18, "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Holy Spirit."

Ephesians 6:12 warns us of such things: "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."
    Satan loves it when you drink alcohol and use drugs because you are then in no shape to fight against his attacks. You are leaving yourself wide open to demonic possession.
    God's Word warns against these things.

Romans 13:12-14, "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying: but put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof."

Proverbs 23:31-32 "Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his Colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder."

Isaiah 28:7, "But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink. They are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment."

1 Peter 4:7, "But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer."

Titus 1:7-8, "For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry, not given to wine...But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just holy temperate.

Titus 2:2-6, "That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children... Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.

This is what God's Word tells us about a great man of God, John the Baptist:
    Luke 1:15-16, "For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.'

And this is what another great man of God, Daniel, did when given the opportunity to drink wine:

Daniel 1:8, "But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank."

Ephesians 5:8, 11 "For ye were sometime darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light; and have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them." So stop being entertained by wickedness and stop taking part in it. Stop calling evil good and good evil, and prepare for the battle that is at hand.

Remember also the verse that refers to the body as the temple of God and the need to keep all uncleanness away from it.

Finally, common sense and records shows that must crimes and accidents occurs under the influence of alcohol and illnesses are either caused or chances for it increased.
  • I think drunkenness is an issue... I'm not sure drinking a glass of wine is a sin though, considering our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ both drank and provided wine. 
  • Moderation is the key. Jesus's first miracle was turning water into wine, which represents wine's importance in His time. Even the ancient Roman's looked down on those who did not drink wine without dilluting it with water.

Drinking itself is not the sin, but drunkenness, being excessive and not in control of yourself.

Some of the issues with alcohol stem from a cultural influence of Islam being in Egypt for 1,400 years. Many Eastern Orthodox (Russia, Serbia, Eastern Europe mainly) have a much more open usage of alcohol, which may be good or bad depending on your views.

There is no correct answer that would be acceptable across the board, although moderation is the main point of the scriptural interpretation of consuming alcohol.