Easter and Paganism

edited April 2006 in Faith Issues
Easter is a pagen term used by people who are not of the Orthodox faith. Easter is actually the name of a greek goddess whom was portraid as a rabbit henceforth the rabbit. As christians we should use the proper term of The Ressurection and for other feasts as the Nativity it should be reffered to as the Nativity and not christmas. Just informing.

Comments

• eh??? entah betekalem gad ya LifeinChrist??? :o ba2a Easter is a pagan term l'arnabah!! ya3ny ana delwa2ti 2olt l'nas keteera awy "kol arnabah wentah tayeb"!! ;D ;D ;D
    hahahahahahahahahaha!!! :D

bas shokran khales 3al ma3loomat deh ya gada3... dah el wa7ed kan mee7 khales... ::) now that you've enlightened us with this piece of info. from now on i'll call it The Ressurection Holiday (3eid el Qiamah).

however, yareet te3mel fee okhtak khedmah kidah wet2oly, lawsama7t, why is the term "Christmas" not appropriate that we should call the holiday "Nativity"?
    3ala fekrah... ana bela fakhr ma3andeesh ay fekrah! ;D
    3ashan kidah ana bas2alak (not to be a smart-mouth awo ay 7aga). :-[

w'shokran gazeelan... salam :D ;D
  • interestingly enough, christmas came to be a national holiday in america in 1870 as a preventive method. at the time, late 19th century, the unemployed, the poor, and many immigrants were looting and rioting on the streets during the christmas season. prior to this, christmas was seen as an english holiday filled with foreign customs not in keeping with the new american nation. the government used christmas, with its many stories, songs, and traditions, to give the masses an excuse to celebrate, i.e. to release tension induced by class violence over ethnicity, race, culture, and religion without violence and drunken recklessness. mostly, america, particulary Washington Irving, re-invented christmas from a chaotic celebration to a family holiday, stressing the ideal of hearth and home.
  • ah... lel asaf el shedeed, baroh ana lesah mosh fahma why do we have to necessarily call this holiday Nativity instead of Christmas? the title... i'm asking about the title itself (although the historical background was insightful :D) doesn't Christmas contain the word Christ in it? wala eh el mawdoo3 asasan ya3ny... ??? ???

[move]i'm confused awy i'm confused awy :-\[/move]
  • lol i see wat u mean, i wasnt attempting to answer as to the title, although i do know its short for Christ's mass. i guess we'll have to wait until LifeInChrist signs on ;D
  • I cant remember the exact reason for it but it has something to do with the fact that it has become a national holiday rather than for relegious purposes. There was another reason illl have to ask abouna why.
  • I think it's the way people have changed it to Xmas not Christmas...so Nativity can't be changed to anything...I guess.