Confession...

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Sometimes...it isn't easy to confess and let everything out to abuna...so is it ok to confess in the Catholic Church because it is more comfortable when the priest doesnt know you. And you're still being forgiven aren't you? And it's a priest so how can it be wrong?

Comments

• ok here is a great site that will help you with your enquiry , to make it easier for you i have taken out important points

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/thecopticchurch/sacraments/3_repentance_confesstion.html

The confessing person takes out the paper in which the sins are written, and begins confessing them one by one, without embarrassment, and waiting to hear the appropriate advice and instruction of the confession father.

The confessor must adhere to the advice given them by their confession father, and be diligent in following his advice as a remedy necessary for spiritual life.

how would the confession father give adice if he knows neither who, age, past, or background,,,it really does make a difference...

To confess bravely without embarrassment, all the sins and its details, and if the priest asks concerning certain points, one must not complain or hide, but answer honestly, knowing that it is for our own benefit that the priest will provide us with useful advice

The person who confesses must have strong love and confidence in the confession-father to trust his guidance, obey and benefit from him, like a patient trusting their doctor.

and to end off...

Embarrassment during confession, is the penalty the soul must bear for falling into sin, but the penance imposed by the priest is the Church’s chastening for the body, which together with the soul, shared in sin.

Due to embarrassment, many people try to escape from confessing before a priest, claiming that they confess directly to God. However, the embarrassment experienced is very profitable to the repenting sinner, for through it we feel the shame of the sin committed in the presence of God. Reasons for escaping confession before a priest is due to pride and false dignity, for the proud find it hard to humble themselves before he priest.

this is a really good site...i know u will read soething u didnt know..

like u must repent a sin three times before it is forgiven...

ect...its really interesting..[move[move]][move][[/move]glow=red,2,300]READ IT[/glow][/move][/move]

• [quote author=why link=board=1;threadid=3105;start=0#msg46375 date=1138247071]

To confess bravely without embarrassment, all the sins and its details, and if the priest asks concerning certain points, one must not complain or hide, but answer honestly, knowing that it is for our own benefit that the priest will provide us with useful advice...
    Embarrassment during confession, is the penalty the soul must bear for falling into sin, but the penance imposed by the priest is the Church’s chastening for the body, which together with the soul, shared in sin.
    Due to embarrassment, many people try to escape from confessing before a priest, claiming that they confess directly to God. However, the embarrassment experienced is very profitable to the repenting sinner, for through it we feel the shame of the sin committed in the presence of God. Reasons for escaping confession before a priest is due to pride and false dignity, for the proud find it hard to humble themselves before he priest.

amen
    couldnt have said it better myself
  • Is it a sin to listen to bad words?

• [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=3105;start=0#msg46396 date=1138288583]
    Is it a sin to listen to bad words?

mikeforjesus, I really encourage and recommend you to go to the thread called "Is it wrong to___________?" by KBibo8

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • lol..same here...it will show you the light!!!
  • thanks

Coptic Love
  • ya, i asked my FOC about confessing to different priests and he said how the Coptic priest is always there for you and its good cuz they can keep up with you. he said how they will always be there for you no matter what
  • [quote author=Coptic Love link=board=1;threadid=3105;start=0#msg46368 date=1138242672]
    Sometimes...it isn't easy to confess and let everything out to abuna...so is it ok to confess in the Catholic Church because it is more comfortable when the priest doesnt know you. And you're still being forgiven aren't you? And it's a priest so how can it be wrong?

first of all its not the same faith..and second of all abouna reprisents god so when u r confessing to abouna its like confessing to god and god know U..

GBU
    sandra
  • Coptic Love, aren't you a coptic orthodox, I do not think it is right to go and confess to a catholic church, there are not like us, we are different from them, we are not allowed to go to a catholic church and take communion correct? That is like going and confessing to the priests, btw I'll tell you something, and maybe that will make you feel more comfortable, everything you say to Abouna, it goes through Abouna to God, and when you are done confessing, and Abouna takes the cross and puts the sign of the cross, and pray over your head, and than you kiss the cross, Abouna HAS to forget everything you said, all your sins!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I think that to try to confess about sins to other people, other than your father of confession, is like trying to run away from God. Like Jonah, for instance, when he tried to run away from preaching to Nineveh. That was an attempt to hide away from God, but God, being full of knowledge, knew that Jonah was trying to run away from Him and made sure that Jonah was on the path of righteousness again. I guess the question is if you really feel that you are confessing to God or if you are confessing to another person. If you know that you are confessing to God than it would not matter which father you went to in order to confess. If you feel that you need to go to another father to confess to than you have to question who you really are confessing to. Know also that your father of confession is a sinner just like you, forgive me for saying such a thing about such a spiritual man, but it's the truth! If one truly want and feels like he needs to confess than he wouldn't care who he confesses to because he knows that by confessing to God he will feel better and the weight will be lifted from his shoulders. That's only if one realizes the need to confess and has truly repented. This is a common topic and I am glad that it was brought up.

Please pray for me always,
    Believer in God
  • That was a great response Believer in God, I felt and heard all of what you said, and great example about the story of Jonah!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • r u satisfied with the responses Coptic Love...

[move][glow=red,2,300]Hope we helped[/glow][glow=red,2,300]!!![/glow][/move]
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=1;threadid=3105;start=0#msg46399 date=1138311394]
    [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=3105;start=0#msg46396 date=1138288583]
    Is it a sin to listen to bad words?

mikeforjesus, I really encourage and recommend you to go to the thread called "Is it wrong to___________?" by KBibo8

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

u guys crack me up :P
  • Well, I used to go to the Coptic church, but I began confessing to a Catholic priest, mainly because of the ill treatment I received from the Coptic priest. I was treated with anger, and I found the Roman priest much easier to deal with. I left the Coptic church over this very reason. I talked with a bishop in Egypt about this, and he was supposed to reconcile this, (he agreed with me) and try to work this out, but it didn't work. I was very disappointed in the conduct I seen. This fellow accused another priest of lying to me in the confession room. He had the habit of talking negatively about other people of the church in there as well. I believe personally, that if he's talking about other people in there to me, he may be tempted to talk about me to them! I have not seen this conduct, not one time from the Catholic priest. I was told that I could not confess to a Catholic priest, so I left. I do not desire to marry, and am still in virginity, but yet this Coptic priest wanted me to marry, and use contraception. When I objected to this he became very aggravated. I don't have to worry about this kind of nonsense in the Catholic church either. The Sacrament of Confession is precious, and should be handled with great care and concern.
  • Sammy,

Please refrain from immaturity (i.e. consistently bringing up personal issues and complaining about priests behind their back just for the sake of being a trouble maker - the hypocrisy is amazingly obvious in light of your accusations of this certain priest, don't you think?). I find your attempt to implicitly set RC priests over and above Coptic priests, amusing to say the least. If you would like to know what some RC priests get up to in confession, I suggest you pick up any newspaper from the past 10 years, and do a search on the related sex scandals that involve RC priests and young children.

I do not mean to demean the RC Church because of her controversies regarding pedophile priests, for I am at least prudent enough to recognise that the clergy of all Churches are limited human beings and sinners like us all. Unfortuanetly you do not possess this same level of prudence; your spiritual immaturity is however a sure explanation of your rash decision to abandon the Holy Orthodox Church.

Again, I urge you to refrain from such posts; we do not allow subtle attempts of proselytism on this forum - which is the feel i get reading over your last few posts; Contribute fruitfully or do not contribute at all. Thank you - we Copts do not need to be reminded of the shortcomings of our priests for as I explained to you before, we do not elevate them to the position of infallible Gods - so please keep your personal issues to yourself; they have been stated twice already, there is no need to continue repeating yourself unless you would like to expose the fact that you have an hidden agenda here.
  • [quote author=sammybackues link=board=1;threadid=3105;start=0#msg48061 date=1140075884]
    Well, I used to go to the Coptic church, but I began confessing to a Catholic priest, mainly because of the ill treatment I received from the Coptic priest. I was treated with anger, and I found the Roman priest much easier to deal with. I left the Coptic church over this very reason. I talked with a bishop in Egypt about this, and he was supposed to reconcile this, (he agreed with me) and try to work this out, but it didn't work. I was very disappointed in the conduct I seen. This fellow accused another priest of lying to me in the confession room. He had the habit of talking negatively about other people of the church in there as well. I believe personally, that if he's talking about other people in there to me, he may be tempted to talk about me to them! I have not seen this conduct, not one time from the Catholic priest. I was told that I could not confess to a Catholic priest, so I left. I do not desire to marry, and am still in virginity, but yet this Coptic priest wanted me to marry, and use contraception. When I objected to this he became very aggravated. I don't have to worry about this kind of nonsense in the Catholic church either. The Sacrament of Confession is precious, and should be handled with great care and concern.

that was so not called for
    why would u say such personal things for?????
    u should keep that 2 urself :-X