Cursing

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
why cant we (as christians) curse

Comments

• He who curses their mother and father shall surely be put to death.

And he who curses in general shall not achieve eternal life.
    If you have cursed, confess to your father of Confession (if you don't have one, get one). And recieve Communion for forgieness.

Pray for forgiveness.
  • "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." -Matthew 5:22

• Aside from the commands of God that he asks we do not curse under any circumstanes. . . why would you want to curse anyways?

Are you allowing the same mouth that praises God, and takes in His Holy body and precious blood to curse and bring forth that kinda filth.

That which enters into the mouth doesn't defile the man; but that which proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man." (Matt. 15:11)

Be careful of the sins of the tongue, they can be very deadly.
  • I have always been fascinated by this topic. In a society and culture were cursing is so emphatically used without even second thought it seems that such gestures have become the “norm” of cultural accommodations. Nevertheless, I sincerely and genuinely believe that it has become anything but the “norm” in actual Reality. For a world and culture that is so small in comparison with the Providential kingdom of the Most High God, the inability to control one’s tongue has become man’s own perdition.

Here are the justifications of those who speak out against the simplicity of foolish thinking; against the malice of an untamed tongue:

To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,' "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life.(Genesis 3:17)

The fist curse was intertwined with Death itself, in which all of creation was forever placed in the damnation of eternal destruction. By the simple act of disobedience both we and all of existence were forever displaced form our glory and shunned down into endless strife and pain. God, Who is blameless and just in all things; Who once uttered that all was “good” and we “very good”; now found that all creation was indeed very fallen and desolate. Even before cursing left the lips of man, God decreed the very nature of cursing to be equaled to Death itself.

In Gen 8:21 We who caused ourselves to be cursed through the plight of the Evil one, were told that God would never again “curse the ground because of man”. The Almighty who holds no fault, who is utterly and undeniably blameless, found the very act of cursing to be completely despicable. Within His heart of hearts, in benevolent nature, could not bear to bring a curse upon creation ever again. The act so dark that even the Lord of all glory would refuse to curse the very earth itself any longer. Yet, we dust enmeshed in dust, freeingly and unquestionably curse at God's earth and each other without second thought.

Yet, even God knew our wicked thoughts would stray once more from His truth. Thus, in Genesis 12:3 The Lord says to Abram (later to be Abraham) “I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you;”. Here, God places His definitive authority over the nature of cursing. In telling Abraham to leave his homeland-- in telling us to leave our current state of sin and carry our cross—God allocates all cursing and blessing to Himself and none other. The Almighty tells the one man who truly had faith in God….. the one man who was more blessed then all others at his time, that he shall not curse any other man, even if the other man curses at him first. In paraphrasing the words of God; “If anyone curse you I will take care of the situation, he will be cursed by Me and Me alone. You shall curse no one.”

Still, for the nature of others such a notion was difficult to accept. Cursing was the very measure people used to abase one another, even as they do today. Not surprisingly, many took it so far so as to curse their own family members and even their own parents. Such is the very dark inclination of many youth in our present and current society; to downplay the elderly and uphold themselves.

The omniscient God was well aware of all such things that were and would still come, so in His uncanny patience decreed that “he who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death”; (Ex 21:7) That none should “revile God, nor curse a ruler of [his] people.” (ex 22:28). However, the people would not listen. Their hearts refuted God’s wisdom and their mouths declared the disruption of their voided souls.

Therefore, God commanded Moses who “spoke to the children of Israel; and they took outside the camp him who had cursed, and stoned him with stones.” (Lev 24:23) The very death that was once so coalesced with the downfall of Adam and Eve; that was affirmed through God’s cursing of the Serpent and all of creation; now overtook those who wittingly cursed their own brethren.

Even still, the nations were stubborn hearted and their desire to cast down each other through names continued. Although men such as Balaam talked with God and warned other that he could not “curse [those] whom God has not cursed”, the incessant desire to self-gratify one’s nature overtook men as a twister of unproportioned scales.

The God of all edification; the Lord who implicitly eluded to the truth of absolute laws in nature claiming “Assuredly I say to you…” exclaimed to such men ages ago that “all these curses shall come upon [them] and pursue and overtake [them], until [they] are destroyed, because [they] did not obey the voice of the LORD [their] God…” (Deut 28:45)

Rather, He took it upon himself to invert the shrewdness of such resilient hearts and placed all “these curses” on enemies of His prophets and servants and on those who hated and persecuted His righteous ministers. The very curses man used upon one another profoundly worked against them.

The very God who long ago who “turned curses into blessings” for His holy nations (Nehm 13:2); incarnated in the from of His only Begotten Son declared that “whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire.”; indicating that even the very inclination to curse in the mind was sufficient to actualize the curse through the tongue. No longer were men expected to obtain from cursing out loud, but were prompted to delineate from the very thought of cursing, even in the heart.

Neverthelss, even as the disciple Peter, who was commanded first hand to “bless those who curse you” (Matthew 5:44), many fell into their own untamed desires and frustrations with one another. Such occurrences embodied and epitomized the very consequence of a carefree tongue in it’s truest form; the curse against God himself. In the pressure of his culture, his society, the disciple Peter became overly frustrated and fell into a state of uncontrolled anxiety in which he “began to curse and swear, saying, 'I do not know the Man'!”; abasing the very Lord who He had promised He would give his life for. The result were unceasing tears that flowed from the eyes of the Saint as he “went out and wept bitterly” (Mth 26:75)

From long ago, since the days of Genesis; the curse of man and all of creation has resounded within the hearts of men as they incessantly bring down vile words upon one another as well as themselves. Yet the consequence is definitive and constantly explicated by the Most High; there is no life in the mouth that seeks to desecrate the temple of God either in others or in ourselves. For with the tongue; “we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God”. With the tongue we once again “[set] on fire the course of nature”, we “defile the whole body”, and set that body “on fire by hell.” (James 3:6-9) Be it now or milleniums ago, the implications of cursing remain the same, unchanged.

God Bless