o kirio

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
can anyone help with o kirio hymn..i heard it before and i kinda like it...thanks
GBU
sandra

Comments

• hey hey found somethin:

http://www.saintmina-holmdel.org/Songs/songtext.php?title=O Kirios

but how do u say it and what does it mean???
  • thanks mnc_hnn and minagir for that..do u know where can i hear it??
    GBU
    sandra
  • here i wrote the words to O kerayos!!

hope it helps!!

okeryos metaso agios yeesteen opateer
    vasilevseen theepenthevio ennosen zoksen topnevmato agio
    teekeos yesteen opateer rovoyfeen thepenthe evio toeenen
    eporanioun topnevmato agios
    keppanoos yesteen opateer thesavreen thepenthe evio
    ensosen eporanioun topnevmato agio
    kereyos yesteen opateer lalevseen thepenthe evio matos
    en eporanioun topnematoo agio
    nemeyos yesteen opateer xalivseen
    thepensee evio ontosen eporanion topnevmatos agios
    kemenos yesteen opateer raravseen thepensee evio stavros
    en eporanaion topnevmato agio
    temeyos yeesteen opateer emonfeen thepenthe evio
    posteer en eporanioun topnevmato agio
    sheresteen yesteen opateer xalivseen thepenthe evio
    ontosen eporanioun topnevmato agio
  • thanks why so much and also thanks minagir for those 2 links!!
    GBU
    sandra
  • i LUVED that ppl GBU

hey what is it in english or arabic?
  • Yeah i heard there was a heresy in that hymn...i might be wrong ..
  • :o WHAT?? :o
  • There are issues with the translation of this hymn. Parts of it are not translatable. It appears that it has become a mix or Coptic, Greek, and words that cannot not be found in either lexicon. There are some translations, but they are imperfect. Here is a link to a forum where this topic was fully dscussed and a translation is difficult. It is a little technical, but you should be able to get a feel for the controversy about this hymn. http://www.coptichymns.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=19732&highlight=#19732
  • well, isn't it considered a hymn. Muallem Mekhal records. all the muallemen does. and about the mix of greek and coptic, thats normal. for example like lhn iestemeje that is said in barmon el milad. no one find any translation but it's still chanted. and wait, in about 2 weeks we going to start chanting the roumi explanations of muallem Sarkis who also wrote hymns in the 2 langauges.

KBibo8, with all do respect to you and to all the users who try to change nature of alhan on coptichymns.net, our hymns are perfect by themself with out any corrections.the main reason that Mr. Ragheb Moftah has started recording all the alhan by there old and original way, that he found out that some group was as they say "UPDATING THE ALHAN". and he disagreed with them because our coptic alhan should be the same in all times. NO ONE could of made up these hymns on there on because no one would have that much of a sence tawards God. God give us a gift to praise Him with. even if we don't understand the words, hymns actuly does take you to heaven. abouna beshoy kamel said before that the 7 & 4 kiahk hymns that we do, make the church on earth as a PART OF HEAVEN. and i know for sure that it wouldn't be with out all the hymns that we say in that night.

In my church we just finished learning the kiahk sherat, and an amezing part of it was the 3rd paragraph mateh. there's that word [coptic]`euol[/coptic] that u just go high on it. and what does that ward mean, ascended.
    here is the link and check it out:
    http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?s=Hymns/Fasts/Nativity/Wagdi_Bishara/1-a-Kyahk_Sharaat.mp3
  • [quote author=KBibo8 link=board=2;threadid=2814;start=0#msg43463 date=1133407620]
    There are issues with the translation of this hymn. Parts of it are not translatable. It appears that it has become a mix or Coptic, Greek, and words that cannot not be found in either lexicon. There are some translations, but they are imperfect. Here is a link to a forum where this topic was fully dscussed and a translation is difficult. It is a little technical, but you should be able to get a feel for the controversy about this hymn. http://www.coptichymns.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=19732&highlight=#19732

wow i neva knew or even expected anything like that in this hymn!!
  • KBibo8, with all do respect to you and to all the users who try to change nature of alhan on coptichymns.net, our hymns are perfect by themself with out any corrections

Minagir, I have never tried to change the nature of alhan. I am still sitting on the fence on many of these issues of controversy about alhan, mainly because I feel that I do not know enough to make up my mind. However, since someone brought up the controversy about this hymn, I thought that this should be known. Also, since someone asked for a translation I felt that it was important for that person to know that there are issues with many of the English translations.

Do I think that this hymn is heretical as some have said? I am inclined to say that it is not, because the Holy Synod would have made the declaration long ago had this been true.
    Are there difficulties with the translation into English? Probably.
    Does this mean that we should not sing it? At this point I do not feel that the issues brought up are enough to ban it. It like many of our beautiful Coptic hymns, is much nicer in its original than in any translated version.
    A good example of this is Shere ne Maria. If you look at the hymn in Coptic you will notice the melodious flow of the words and that there is a beautiful rhyme to it. However, when translated into English or Arabic this is lost.
    Is this a reason not to sing it in English or Arabic? No, because we gain the sense of understanding the words as we sing it in our native tongue. However, I feel that much would be lost if the Coptic was not also sung.

Minagir, please do not attack others without fully understanding their opinion.
  • Quote from: KBibo8 on November 30, 2005, 10:27:00 PM
    There are issues with the translation of this hymn. Parts of it are not translatable. It appears that it has become a mix or Coptic, Greek, and words that cannot not be found in either lexicon. There are some translations, but they are imperfect. Here is a link to a forum where this topic was fully dscussed and a translation is difficult. It is a little technical, but you should be able to get a feel for the controversy about this hymn. http://www.coptichymns.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=19732&highlight=#19732

wow i neva knew or even expected anything like that in this hymn!!

i never heard of that either!!!! :-\
  • and i never got to understand what u r all about?
  • i think..they r talking about that hymn that they couldn't find the translation of it and the wordss to it doesn't make sense and....
    GBU
    sandra
  • u don't get it don't u?