The blindness of the DaVinci code

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
The DiVinci code it a book written based on a false and innaccurate foundation.

It basically states that Jesus had a daughter named Sarah of Egypt with Mary Magdalene. The book misinterprets the Bible and is mostly based on French myth.

Some people actually believe in this nonsense.

Speak your mind regarding this.

Comments

• i know, its rather pathetic and most of it is fabricated. I cant belive how many ppl out there are actually being deceived by such ambiguous claims.

Actually i recommend everyone reading the book "cracking the Da Vinci Code", its an AMAZING book! It basically proves that the 'da vinci code' is nothing but rubbish.

And seeing that the film 'the da vinci code' will be featured in theatres soemtime in spring 2006, a lot of controversy will be raised and i think a lot of us should really know our info first before we make invalid remarks in our defense. So if you guys are interested i suggest you purchase the book- its worth it! this is what the book looks like, but i think there are other versions of it but this is the one im familiar with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078144165X/102-6583303-0919310?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

Hope i helped, NOP+
    Youstina S
  • Thank you kindly.

Any other opinions?
  • I don't like that book, I don't like to judge, but I mean what's the author's proof that Jesus and Mary Magdalene got married, and begot a child named Sarah? I think this is ridiculious, first of all, Jesus DID NOT get married, and second of all, WE ARE ALL CHILDREN OF GOD, no one is his personal child!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Yes, exactly. This is what im saying :).

It is all based on French myth.

It also says there are other Gospels which were not included in the Bible? The Gospel of Thomas??? etc.
  • davinci code... was a waste of my time... if anyone was thinking of reading it i know you have something better to do with your time...
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=1;threadid=2761;start=0#msg42504 date=1131830154]
    davinci code... was a waste of my time... if anyone was thinking of reading it i know you have something better to do with your time...

lol, a valid statement and a perfect answer. I guess that's all i needed to here.
  • also about those "other gospels" we know that they werent true, because the gospel of phillip was written in coptic, a language that St. Phillip would never have known, so it was obviously written by someone else
  • I think the Davinci Code story is nothing new. There was an earlier book (in the 70s? 80s?) that speculated the same thing. IIRC it was called Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln.

It was based on the idea that Jesus may have survived the crucifixion, that he was married to Mary Magdalen, and that He and/or she took their child/children to France where they started what became the Merovingian dynasty. They say this 'secret' was guarded by the Knights Templars which then passed it on to the Priory of Sion when the order was disbanded.

The Davinci code leans on this so heavily that the authors of HB, HG are suing him for plagiarism.

The Davinci Code may(I haven't bothered) be an interesting read, but is not to be taken as truth anymore than any other novel is.

If you're interested:

Alex Burns. Holy Blood, Holy Grail A short review of the book.
    Ken Mondschein. Holy Blood, Holy Grail A review and debunking of the book.
    Kristi and Mark Fisher. The Jesus Conspiracy
    Paul Smith. Priory of Sion: The Pierre Plantard Archives 1937-1993 An extensive debunking resource.
    Wieland Willker. Codex Bezae and the Da Vinci Code: A textcritical look at the Rennes-le-Chateau hoax
    Laura Miller. The Da Vinci crock A review and debunking of the book.
  • If anyone is interested, I would be more then happy to provide an entire list of evidence to debunk the Davinci code, in detail. Just post a reponse.

Just for starters, however, pay close attention to the differnence between the woman who anoints Jesus in Mark 14 or John 12 the one in Luke 7:44. Pay careful attention to the setting, the reponses to the anointing, and the state the woman is depicted as being in for each gospel.

Furthermore, pay close attention to the introduction of Mary Magdeline as a new character in Luke 8.

This should evidentially illustrate that Mary Magdeline is not the same woman in the gospels of Luke and she is in the other two gospels.

There is therefore insufficent evidence positioning Mary Magdeline as a prostitute; a strand of belief which provides one of the most provacitivley detrimental accusations of the DaVinci code.

If you're interested in a variety of specifics; please don't hesitate to ask.

May God bless
  • I was always under the impression it was Church tradition that Mary Magdalene was an adulteress. I am not saying she is the same woman who had wiped the feet of our Lord Jesus with her hair.
  • I thought she (MM) was the woman from whom 7 demons were cast out, but ....
  • You're both correct. She is both one of the women who wiped the feet of Jesus with her hair and from whom seven deamons were excorcised by Our Lord.

She is, however, also a differnet individual then the woman who anointed Jesus in the gospel of Luke.

Goe Bless.

• [quote author=Ambeht link=board=1;threadid=2761;start=0#msg43107 date=1132803364]
    I think the Davinci Code story is nothing new. There was an earlier book (in the 70s? 80s?) that speculated the same thing. IIRC it was called Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln.

It was based on the idea that Jesus may have survived the crucifixion, that he was married to Mary Magdalen, and that He and/or she took their child/children to France where they started what became the Merovingian dynasty. They say this 'secret' was guarded by the Knights Templars which then passed it on to the Priory of Sion when the order was disbanded.

The Davinci code leans on this so heavily that the authors of HB, HG are suing him for plagiarism.

The Davinci Code may(I haven't bothered) be an interesting read, but is not to be taken as truth anymore than any other novel is.

If you're interested:

Alex Burns. Holy Blood, Holy Grail A short review of the book.
    Ken Mondschein. Holy Blood, Holy Grail A review and debunking of the book.
    Kristi and Mark Fisher. The Jesus Conspiracy
    Paul Smith. Priory of Sion: The Pierre Plantard Archives 1937-1993 An extensive debunking resource.
    Wieland Willker. Codex Bezae and the Da Vinci Code: A textcritical look at the Rennes-le-Chateau hoax
    Laura Miller. The Da Vinci crock A review and debunking of the book.

wow they actually claim this. that is ridiculous for many reasons.
    1. the merovingians were a migratory east-anglican tribe from the 600s AD and i doubt that Jesus, born in 1 AD could've "founded" them.
    2. the merovingians were also pagan, there was significant christian influence, but they started out a pagan tribe.
    3. the knights Templars have NOTHING to do with the merovingians. and were 400 years apart. the knights templars were the knights stationed at jerusalem to protect the churches founded there after the fist crusade in circa 1000 AD.
    4. there is no possible way jesus could've survived the crucifixion because there were guards watching who stabbed him to make sure he was dead and joseph of arimathia BURIED him. he rose from the dead so it follows that he had to have been dead first.
    5. as to his "escape" to france: there was no such thing as france at that time. the gauls were under roman authority. and in order to get from jerusalem to there you would have to have used a roman road, guarded by roman soldiers.

to make any connection between any of these very seperate groups of people is not mere speculation. it is outright blatant stupidity.

:D that said, please correct me if i have given wrong info. lol
  • YoustinaS,
    Although I haven't .. (and do NOT plan on..) reading the Da vinci's code ... i have read CRACKING Da vinci's Code. THAT BOOK IS AMAZING! Proves everything wrong CORRECTLY. I highly recommend you read it if you have read Da Vinci's Code. Also has some very interesting fact. AN AWESOME READ.

As for Da Vinci's code...WOW I can't believe people actually choose to believe what is written in that book....it's just something that fascinates me that people are so gullible like that. My religion teacher is always talking about the book...and she actually 'believes' it...I try to tell her it's a bunch of none-sense but she chooses not to listen....maybe i'll get her Cracking Da Vinci's code for Christmas ;)
  • I'm not sure who posted it and I certainly don't accept the premises of either HG HB or Davinci Code, but the fact that there is a temporal gap between Jesus and the Merovingian dynasty doesn't necessarily argue against His having founded it.

Jesus and King David are also separated on the timeline, but we accept that Jesus is of David's line.

The same thing could apply to the connection of the 'secret' (that Jesus' had blood decendents) and the Knights Templar.

In the book the authors argue that the Knights Templars were founded in order to handle the monetary and military goals of those 'holding' the secret. The ultimate goal is to return the Merovingian line to the thrones of Europe thereby bringing about the Kingdom of the Lord (ie the rule of Jesus -through His line).

As far as I know the Merovingians were Frankish (French/German) kings ruling from AD 447 to 751.

Another novel that covers much the same material is Foucault's Pendulum (Umberto Eco, 1988).

Personally I think there's no point in getting my knickers in a twist over this stuff. The book/movie will be replaced by another bestseller/blockbuster soon enough and the less attention given to it, the sooner it'll be forgotten.

• Personally I think there's no point in getting my knickers in a twist over this stuff. The book/movie will be replaced by another bestseller/blockbuster soon enough and the less attention given to it, the sooner it'll be forgotten.

But the next bestseller will probably be another heretical book. Brown is working on a sequel to the DaVinci Code, which is probably equally heretical to the pre-quel of the DaVinci Code, Angels & Demons (however this was not referred to the Church in general, but to the Roman Catholic Church). With the popularity of the DVC, people will be even more eager to read the sequel.
  • I agree. It seems rather ludicous to make such accustations based on pure speculations.
  • [quote author=StVictor link=board=1;threadid=2761;start=0#msg42486 date=1131821425]

It also says there are other Gospels which were not included in the Bible? The Gospel of Thomas??? etc.

About the whole Gospel thing, there are gospels written by disciples like St-Thomas, and Mary Magdellen but when the founder of Orthodoxy came and collected all the Gospels including the 'Acts', the Letters and 'Revelation', he decided which Gospel was going to be put in the Bible. This is how we have the Gospel of Matthew, Marc, Luck and John.
    So as you can see, there was other Gospels wrtten.
  • I agree. It seems rather ludicous to make such accustations based on pure speculations.

I'm not sure what this is referring to, but if it's addressing the quote from my post I'd like to make it clear that I made no accusation. I said I personally don't see the point of getting my knickers in a twist. I see some opportunity here - clearly people are interested in issues of faith and the book may open the door to discussing the truth with some. Obviously your mileage may vary.
  • My personal opinion on this is that if you read the book purely for theological value, this is the wrong book. However, we must all keep in mind the book is FICTION, I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Furthermore, if one person who ordinarily would watch a dumb sitcom reads this book I consider it a success, regardless of the validity of its story line. I also agree with Ambeht in that this may be a way for those not normally interested in religion to become interested. I would also question those who disregard the book without having first read it. Just my personal opinion, I hope nobody gets worked out about this but we are here to freely exchange ideas and opinions.
  • Sorry for the confusion,

When I suggested that there was pure speculation, I was reffering to the DaVinci Code. The book makes pure specualtions without precise histocity, or logical reasoning to back it up.

George M
  • No worries, I just didn't want anyone to feel I was pointing fingers. :)
  • there r already 2 threads on this for the new people made by the old ppl but its good to hav more opinions sorry to interupt ur discussion

GB ALL
    +FROG+