Shem, Ham, Japheth

edited May 2004 in Faith Issues
Genesis 9:24-27
So Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done to him. Then he said: "Cursed be Canaan; A servant of servants He shall be to his brethren." And he said: "Blessed be the Lord, The God of Shem, And may Canaan be his servant. May God enlarge Japheth, And may he dwell in the tents of Shem; And may Canaan be his servant."

According to my bible, we are from Ham's descendants that had settled in Canaan and moved to Egypt and the rest of Africa... now, can someone translate this verse?
i know it's not used for any kind of racial discrimination, etc... but what can it mean?
are we cursed...? that sounds foolish saying so, but what more can i say?

Comments

• nope... we're not cursed... we're not forgotten... we're blessed.
    "Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance." Isaiah 19:25
    "In that day there will be an altar to the Lord in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar to the Lord at its border. " Isaiah 19:19

how can we be cursed if there is a specific prophecy written about the rise of the Coptic church (the altar of egypt)? we can't. The reason that Ham's descendents were cursed was because he wasn't like Noah's other sons... he didn't hide his father's shame. However, notice that the land of Egypt isn't cursed... just Ham's family....and we're not Ham's family.. since our church came about by the conversion of gentiles.
  • wow, that feeling of overwhelming joy due to realization is attacking me again
    lol
    i had totally forgot about that verse! Blessed is Egypt My people... how can i???!! it has 'egypt' in it! lol
    still got more ?'s... (as usual) y did God mention the canaanites then? and how did we come about by the conversion of gentiles... can u explain that please
    thanx! :D
  • surely... after st.mark came to egypt.. the first of his followers weren't the jews (cuz remember..they were to stubborn post-mortum and resurrection of Christ) but they were the gentiles who were eager to follow the Christ they've heard so much about... (remember Simon the Shoemaker.)... it reminds me kind of "But He answered and said, "It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the little dogs." Matthew 15:26. Christ was supposed to be the Messiah for the jews... since they rejected Him, we were the next in line (the gentiles) to accept His Word. which goes back to "in that day there will be an altar"... the canaanites are a different story... Canaan was a descendant of Ham... so in turn, he also was cursed to be scattered.. althought his territory was great.. he wasn't blessed by God... leading to the eventual taking of the land of Canaan and giving it to the Israeilites
  • wow
    thanx marys
  • um...wow! lol