St. John the Baptist

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Since today it is St. John's feast (in case u didn't no) do u no how it is said that St. JOhn and Jesus are cousins.. how is that possible??

Comments

• happy st. John the baptist's feast too,

St. JOhn and Jesus are cousins.. how is that possible??

St. Mary and Elizabeth are cousins, therefore John the baptist (Elizabeth's son) and Jesus are cousins....
  • [coptic]HAPPY ST. JOHN'S FEAST![/coptic]
    HAPPY ST. JOHN'S FEAST!

Another interesting fact about St. John the baptist:
    +he is older than jesus by a few months
  • [quote author=PrincessMary link=board=11;threadid=2468;start=0#msg38455 date=1126551780]

St. Mary and Elizabeth are cousins, therefore John the baptist (Elizabeth's son) and Jesus are cousins....

i no that but, how is St mary which is from the tribe of Judah and St. Elizabeth which is from the tribe of Levi be COusins??
  • i never knew that!
  • It is very confusing.. does anyone no the story of how st John and Jesus are cosins?
  • according to : http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08486b.htm

Zachary, the father of John the Baptist, was a priest of the course of Abia, the eighth of the twenty-four courses into which the priests were divided (I Par., xxiv, 7-19); Elizabeth, the Precursor's mother, "was of the daughters of Aaron", according to St. Luke (I, 5); the same Evangelist, a few verses farther on (I, 36), calls her the "cousin" (syggenis) of Mary. These two statements appear to be conflicting, for how, it will be asked, could a cousin of the Blessed Virgin be "of the daughters of Aaron"? The problem might be solved by adopting the reading given in an old Persian version, where we find "mother's sister" (metradelphe) instead of "cousin". A somewhat analogous explanation, probably borrowed from some apocryphal writing, and perhaps correct, is given by St. Hippolytus (in Nicephor., II, iii). According to him, Mathan had three daughters: Mary, Soba, and Ann. Mary, the oldest, married a man of Bethlehem and was the mother of Salome; Soba married at Bethlehem also, but a "son of Levi", by whom she had Elizabeth; Ann wedded a Galilean (Joachim) and bore Mary, the Mother of God. Thus Salome, Elizabeth, and the Blessed Virgin were first cousins, and Elizabeth, "of the daughters of Aaron" on her father's side, was, on her mother's side, the cousin of Mary.
  • that website is cool!and i never knew that they were from diff. trips!!thanks princess mary!
  • amazing i never knoew that either!!
  • Zachary, the father of John the Baptist, was a priest of the course of Abia, the eighth of the twenty-four courses into which the priests were divided (I Par., xxiv, 7-19); Elizabeth, the Precursor's mother, "was of the daughters of Aaron", according to St. Luke (I, 5); the same Evangelist, a few verses farther on (I, 36), calls her the "cousin" (syggenis) of Mary. These two statements appear to be conflicting, for how, it will be asked, could a cousin of the Blessed Virgin be "of the daughters of Aaron"? The problem might be solved by adopting the reading given in an old Persian version, where we find "mother's sister" (metradelphe) instead of "cousin". A somewhat analogous explanation, probably borrowed from some apocryphal writing, and perhaps correct, is given by St. Hippolytus (in Nicephor., II, iii). According to him, Mathan had three daughters: Mary, Soba, and Ann. Mary, the oldest, married a man of Bethlehem and was the mother of Salome; Soba married at Bethlehem also, but a "son of Levi", by whom she had Elizabeth; Ann wedded a Galilean (Joachim) and bore Mary, the Mother of God. Thus Salome, Elizabeth, and the Blessed Virgin were first cousins, and Elizabeth, "of the daughters of Aaron" on her father's side, was, on her mother's side, the cousin of Mary.

if u didn't say that i would never got it!