TYPES OF PRAYER

edited June 2005 in Faith Issues
my friend has to do a workshop on prayer for sunday school camp.

basically wat im looking for is different types of prayer and stories of saints and prayer,
example: a type of prayer is praise and an example of that is the Song of Moses and the crossing of the Red Sea
pretty much covered the biblical stuff just need saint stories, life stories of saints or people who experienced a type of prayer.
example: prayer of repentance, prayer of thanksgiving, prayer of praise.

thankyou.

Comments

• plz contribute if u can.
  • Prayer of the heart!
  • Hesychast prayer.

ex. My Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have mercy on me a sinner.
  • thnx guys much appreciated
    but i really need examples, as i mentioned above stories to go along with the theme.
    life stories of saints or people who experienced a type of prayer.
    eg moses the black, prayer of repentance.
    but in more detail.
    thnx
  • Iqbal, assistance please.
  • some links about prayer i dont know if they might help
    this is part of Anba Yoannis's book, Paradise of the spirit

http://www.suscopts.org/literature/literature.php?subaction=showfull&id=1111932652&archive=&start_from=&ucat=14&

and this has some examples of types of prayers
    http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/prayers/prayers.html
  • thnx sooo much princess,
    very helpful
    but i still really need a whole lot more info.
    PLZ MORE CONTRIBUTIONS.
  • great thankyou so much, very very helpful, esp the st monica one,
    and yeah i got that one, it was st simon the tanner that moved the mountain.
    thnx so much
    more will be great.
  • thankyou marmar,
    much much more info is needed,
    any ideas would be great.
  • check out all the prayers that are read in bright saturday ;)
    there's at least a dozen prayers from both old and new testament
  • http://www.sacredspace.ie/

Pray with the Catholic Irish Jesuits.
  • Mother Teresa advised,
    "Try to feel the need for prayer often during the day and take the trouble to pray. Prayer makes the heart large enough until it can contain God's gift of Himself. The following prayers we say every day from our prayerbook."

Deliver me, O Jesus,
    From the desire of being loved,
    From the desire of being extolled,
    From the desire to being honored,
    From the desire of being praised,
    From the desire of being preferred,
    From the desire of being consulted,
    From the desire of being approved,
    From the desire of being popular,
    From the fear of being humiliated,
    From the fear of being despised,
    From the fear of suffering rebukes,
    From the fear of being calumniated,
    From the fear of being forgotten,
    From the fear of being wronged,
    From the fear of being ridiculed,
    From the fear of being suspected.
    Amen.
  • Here is one I found and can't remember where, but I like it...! It's Called Jesus help me!

"In every need, let me come to You with humble trust, saying:

Jesus, help me!

In all my doubts, perplexities, and temptations:

Jesus, help me!

In hours of loneliness, weariness, and trials:

Jesus, help me!

In the failure of my plans and hopes, in disappointments, troubles, and sorrows:

Jesus, help me!

When others fail me, and Your Grace alone can assist me:

Jesus, help me!

When I throw myself on Your tender love as a Father and a Savior:

Jesus, help me!

When my heart is cast down by failure, at seeing no good come from my efforts:

Jesus, help me!

When I feel impatient, and my cross irritates me:

Jesus, help me!

When I'm ill, and my head and hands cannot work, and I am lonely:

Jesus, help me!

Always, always, in spite of weakness, falls, and shortcomings of every kind:

Jesus, help me and never forsake me!

Author Unknown"
  • thnx tad4christ.

i think i need more stories, saints or other wise that used prayer..
  • hi G.J.I

I recently did a lesson about continuous prayer and i talked about St. Maximos and Domadius...i dunno if u know the story about when St. Macarius visited them and watched them pray all night.. and there were angels illuminating the cell defending them from the devils...

God bless

Pete
  • yes i know that story, but i didnt think of it, wow thats awesome thnx sooo much for reminding me, very very very helpful.
  • no problem...

God bless u
  • GJI,
    Sorry, didn't check the website over the weekend, I hope I am not late. Here are some stories of Saints who prayed.

St. George Prayed and drew the cross on a cup of poison and he was not harmed.

St. Paul was bitten by a poisons snake on the Island of Malta (I believe that's its name) He prayed and was not affected.

St. Pishoi, in his cell in Egypt, has a ring in the ceiling witha rope comming down from it. He would tie his hair so that if he fell asleep while praying, he would be awaken.

st. Macarius used to start praying at sunset (so his back would be towards the setting sun) and continues to pray untill the sun would rise again and shine on his face.

Moses the Prophet during a battle, he would raise his hands and pray and the Israilites would win, if he would bring his hands down from prayer, they would loose. It was like all day untill they had two people hold his hands so that he can continue praying.

Jesus's life had a few examples (when you want to pray, pray like wise saying "our father..."
    His Last prayer in the garden (before His arrest)

St. Steven Prayed when they were stoning him saying "God forgive them this sin"

Jonah's Prayer (Jonah Chapter 2)

All the prayers in the book of Tobit

These are just a few of Many examples of saints prayering. I am sure there at least a few million more.

Prayer, in general, fall into one of three Catagories:
    1) Prayer of Thanksgiving (when we thank God for something He has done)
    2) Prayers of Request (We are asking God to do something)
    3) Praises (We are praising God for that sole purpose)

The first and the third being the higher form of prayer. Second has 3 sub catagories
    a) Requesting Salvation and remission of sins (basically asking for what's above)
    b) Asking for someone else (Pray for those who asked us to remember them in the house of the Lord)
    c) Asking for worldy matters (Asking God to help you get a better job or help in an exam)

The Church teaches us that we should always start our prayers with Thanks giving. In the rites of the church, every single congregetional prayer Starts with the prayer of Thanksgiving. This is meant to Thank God first and to remind us of all the wonderfull things God has provided for us already.

As H.G. Bishop Youanness said "The simplest and most accurate defintion of prayer is talking to God" While we put all kinds of rules and guidlines on how to pray to God, none gives you rules and guidlines to speak to your closes frient or your father. As long as you do it in respet.

A prayer should always be from the heart. It is not a display of a persons vocabulary or how articulate they can be. It is a simple conversation with God, our Father and our Creator.

There are books and books writen about the topic and I can't even claim that this is a drop in an ocean but I do pray that this helps.

P.S. since this is a sunday school project, make sure you use only Coptic Orthodox refrences, prayers, saints, stories, etc...