Samson

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I know that samson is considered as a saint.

But didn't he commit suicide when he pushed the pillars killing himself and others.

Comments

• I dont think samson is considered a saint...
    He was just in the Old Testment to set us an example (of not to act like him). Kinda like a moral story.
    -nader
  • samson isn't a saint!
  • looking at the Bible as a work of literature, which it can also be, Samson was a very interesting complex character. just thought i'd mention that hehe
  • hi

in killing himself he also killed evil people, i think this might have been a hint to wat jesus was going to do, except he didn't kill himself, he was created to be sacrificed. he is the eternal sacrifice. but with his death came the death of the devil's hold on us. after jesus the devil did not controll us anymore
  • i don't get it is he considered as a siant or something??
  • no he wasnt a 'saint' but rather a figure to people. to show that even though ur strong and powerful- if u leave god, u become nothin
    correct me if im wrong
  • i actually think he is a saint, or else St Paul wouldnt have mentioned him along the other list of great saints of the old testament:

Hebrews 11:

the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: 33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions. 34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. 35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: 36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: 37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; 38 (Of whom the world was not worthy: ) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. 39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise

in fact Samson was a great person who has a lot of paralels with Christ. Our priest gave us a sermon about this one time.

The birth of Samson: an angel appeared to his mother. Same with Jesus. They both couldnt have children (St mary was a virgin and the mother of samson didnt conceive). In both cases the "husband" wasnt there, and didnt believe the message of the angel, so the angel appeared to both of them.

The Ministry of Samson: he was a nazorean (what was that word again? lol), meaning he dedicated his life for God, just like Christ was the annointed one. Samson had extroardinary strenght and did extroardinary things, symbolising the strenght of Christ. Samson killed a lion, just like the christ defeated the devil, who is likened to a lion (1 Peter 5:8 ).

The capture of Samson: he actually got caught because of his love for the evil woman Delilah, just like God came down and died for us (the evil humans lol, i really liked this comparisation). He was sold for silver just like Christ was betrayed by Judas. He was caught and tortured and killed by the gentiles (filistines) just like Christ was sentenced by the gentile Romans.

The death of Samson: when he died he streched out his arms to rest on the pillars in the shape of a cross, the way Christ died on the cross. He destroyed the temple by his death and conquered his enemies, just like Christ destroyed the temple of the gentiles by the spread of Christianity, and perhaps also the ending of the Old Testament and its temple.

even though he made mistakes (like falling in love with delilah etc) he eventually repented and God gave him back his strength, and he in fact died in his minestry to delever the Israelites from the Filistines, cause he killed more filistines in that temple than he had killed in his whole life:

John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

besides, the filistines would probably mock him and kill him anyway during their festival, they werent gonna let him go, so he was going to die either way. At least this way he " completed" his ministery.
  • wow, that was gr8 hos erof ;)
  • good stuff hos erof ;D
  • thnx all, u should thank my great new abouna, he told us all about samson ;)