Adding Hymns from Coptic Reader

Hello all,
As rich as the lyrics library is on the site, it does have some gaps. The one in mind while writing this is the Koiahk midnight praises, but I know that the site does not currently have funeral rites, the Theophany Lakkan, and many of the psalis for feast days. Is there any rule/law against filling those gaps by copying from the Coptic Reader app? I know not everyone agrees with HG Bishop Youssef or uses the Southern Diocese's decisions and rites, but having those hymns added to the website makes them searchable and lets us link audios to them. 

Twbh `e`hryi ejwi>
Daniyl

Comments

• We have all these texts, yet they are not there for a reason.

The kiahk hymns, there are too versions of text, even in just considering the Arabic, so putting a specific version out there complicates this more.

The Theophany Laqqan just needs some review. You can reach out around that time and I might be able to upload them.

The funeral prayers are just a lot and also needs the English to be reviewed.

In all of these, the CR text itself is not the best text to use, neither for the source text in Coptic and Arabic or the translation into English. In making it, the concern was to add EVERYTHING, and edit later. I kinda disagree with that.

There is an ongoing project to redo the library, so please pray for that.
  • may God give you all you need for the task.
    for the english, can i please ask you to convert all the 'upon's to 'on's?
    and all the 'unto's to 'to's?

e.g. correct english is have mercy ON us.
    and things are given TO us.

when you want to translate 'the name which is called upon us' to modern english, 
    the correct way to say it is 'the name by which we are called'.

basically, there is no sentance at all in modern english (british, american or all the other versions) that uses the words 'upon' or 'unto' (these are >300 years old).

that obviously also goes for 'ye', 'thy', 'who art' etc.

even 'whom' is rapidly becoming obselete, but i'll let you off if you want to keep it for another 100yrs just because it sounds 'nice'
    ;-)

• And in addition to what @mabsoota is glorify a transitive only verb or can it be used in an intransitive sense too?
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡϭⲥ
  • ha ha, in english, we have to glorify a thing, we don't just generally walk around glorifying empty space!
    i get around the translation issues by praying in arabic as much as possible.
    my arabic is bad, so i don't notice if the translation from coptic (which i also don't know) is inaccurate!

but i think we can only criticise liturgy apps if we are offering to to write out the presentation for our local churches so that they can use our versions instead.
    if we are happy to sit back and rely on someone else's work, then we should be grateful for it
    :) 

• edited July 2021
    Yes @mabsoota thanks for the explanation.. I also learnt that glorify is a transitive verb so it is a loose translation adding to the issues that you described previously. I guess Arabic is such a bland language that probably has not gone through stages of development like other languages (or so they would like us to believe because it is the language of the quran) and Egyptians do not speak the formal Arabic as other countries do, hence the belief that Shakespearean English is more formal than day to day English, which of course is not the case.
    Another reason maybe is copying from olden English liturgical texts and expressions, which again only reflects the superficial approach those translators took.. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful but I see way too many mistakes and I am not a native English speaker!
    Your Arabic and Coptic are poor? Oh please don't think like that..
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡϭⲥ