Communion internationaly

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
So I've wondered a few questions: can people baptised under the Catholic church have communion in the Orthodox church? Can orthodox people have communion from Catholic churches? Can anyone, regardless of their faith have communion? I know the answer to all three of these questions is probably no. But the question is why? Also, why is it so if in the creed we say, "In one holy, catholic, and apostolic church"

Thanks

Comments

• ^Are you Chalcedonian or Oriental Orthodox?

Anyway, Orthodox Christians cannot commune with non-Orthodox faiths. Likewise, non-Orthodox cannot be communed in Orthodox Churches. The only time there is an exception to these rules is when special economy is granted by Bishops.

A good explanation from an Indian Orthodox website as to why Orthodoxy does not practice open communion:

Q: Does your Church practice "Open Communion?"

A: In the strictest sense the Communion of the Orthodox Church is open to all repentant believers. That means we are glad to receive new members in the Orthodox Church. The Orthodox concept of "Communion" is totally holistic, and radically different from that of most other Christian groups. We do not separate the idea of "Holy Communion" from "Being in Communion," "Full Communion," "Inter-Communion" and total "Communion in the Faith."
    In the Orthodox Church therefore, to receive Holy Communion, or any other Sacrament (Mystery), is taken to be a declaration of total commitment to the Orthodox Faith. While we warmly welcome visitors to our services, it is understood that only those communicant members of the Orthodox Church who are prepared by confession and fasting will approach the Holy Mysteries.

http://www.indian-orthodox.co.uk/faith.htm

• [quote author=sugj link=topic=13618.msg158778#msg158778 date=1344795347]
    So I've wondered a few questions: can people baptised under the Catholic church have communion in the Orthodox church? Can orthodox people have communion from Catholic churches? Can anyone, regardless of their faith have communion? I know the answer to all three of these questions is probably no. But the question is why? Also, why is it so if in the creed we say, "In one holy, catholic, and apostolic church"

Thanks

The "one holy catholic apostolic church" is the Orthodox Church.