Howdy, Stranger!
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Categories
- All Categories 13.8K
- General Category 10.9K
- General Announcements 184
- Faith Issues 3.4K
- Coptic Orthodox Church 2.5K
- Personal Issues 1.4K
- Prayer Requests 426
- Random Issues 1.8K
- Introductions 295
- Non-Orthodox Inquiries 232
- Youth Corner 606
- Hymns 2.6K
- Hymns Discussion 2.6K
- Technicial Difficulties 368
- Technical Topics 368
The Philokalia
Is the Philokalia promoted in Oriental Orthodox churches?

Comments
It is not typically part of our tradition, but you will find some OOs reading it. Many OOs, even Monastics, have started integrating EO spiritual literature into their own practice.
Are there particular issues that the OO take with the Philokalia, or is it just a case of it being something "other" and foreign? Are there prominent OO theologians/bishops/monks that have written or talked about why it isn't part of your tradition?
I'm not necessarily a HUGE fan of the Philokalia. I mean, there are some great writings in Volume 4, some really practical and applicable stuff. But a lot of the centuries are beyond me.
??? What is/are the Philokalia?
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Philokalia
But as I said, the Philokalia, along with many other later EO Saints and Spiritual texts are being referred to by our own Churchmen, Hierarchs, and Monastics.
Awesome.
^I have read before that our own Holy Orthodox Monastic Fathers have read "The Ladder" by St. John Climacus for spiritual edification (especially in Armenia), not just nowadays, but historically as well. I know of several laypersons of my own Church who own "A Way of a Pilgrim." My own Priest has quoted Saint Theophan the Recluse. I plan on reading "Unseen Warfare" sometime soon, God willing. Many of our Hierarchs quote individuals like Maximus, the Damascene, and Gregory Palamas in theological works. I do not mind this per se, I just do not want our own OO people to forget that we have a great spiritual and theological tradition of our own, paved by our own venerable teachers and doctors.
I'd love to know what sort of spiritual literature comparable to the PhilOkapia and others you mentioned are peculiar to the OO tradition.
The Philokalia is promoted in ALL churches. It serves as a very important spiritual guide and explains the theological foundations of orthodox spiritual beliefs and concepts, especially against gnostic and psuedo-spiritual guides of the past (which are still present in the New Age movements and self-help guides today).
Since the Philokalia is a very complex book to read -- you could literally spend 2 hours figuring out and thinking about one century among the hundreds found in there by the various Church Fathers -- I highly suggest getting a hold of this very recently published book (it came out 4 days ago!):
The Philokalia: A Classic Text of Orthodox Spirituality
http://www.amazon.com/The-Philokalia-Classic-Orthodox-Spirituality/dp/019539027X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343572659&sr=8-2&keywords=bradley+nassif
There are contributors in this book from the Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant (and Anglican) denominations.
^I have read before that our own Holy Orthodox Monastic Fathers have read "The Ladder" by St. John Climacus for spiritual edification (especially in Armenia), not just nowadays, but historically as well. I know of several laypersons of my own Church who own "A Way of a Pilgrim." My own Priest has quoted Saint Theophan the Recluse. I plan on reading "Unseen Warfare" sometime soon, God willing. Many of our Hierarchs quote individuals like Maximus, the Damascene, and Gregory Palamas in theological works. I do not mind this per se, I just do not want our own OO people to forget that we have a great spiritual and theological tradition of our own, paved by our own venerable teachers and doctors.
I am so glad you know of Theophan the Recluse! All of his stuff is excellent. I am also impressed that your Hierarchs quote Maximus and Palamas. *thumbs up*
Suggest to me some good OO theologians/writers/monks/Saints to read and I'd be glad to do so.
anything translated by pope shenouda 3rd (our much loved patriarch who has now departed). he references a lot of other sources as well and writes simply so people like me can understand!
i can't give u links right now as it's been a long week and it's late in my time zone...
saint anthanasius on the life of saint antony and saint athanasius' work on the psalms.
I've read his life of St. Antony, but I will have to check out his writings on the psalms.
Thanks!
Here's a PM I received on OC.net a while back which directed to me the writings of some Arabic Church Fathers: Also, though not an official OO text, the full text of the Philokalia can be read here.
Well, to get you started, there are the writings of OO Fathers like Sts. Severus of Antioch, Saweres Al-Ashmonein, and Philoxenus of Mabbug/Hierapolis, which can be read on this webpage. There are also the writings of other medieval Coptic writers like Bulus El-Bushi.
Beautiful. I am looking forward to reading some St. Severus and St. Philoxenus. Haven't heard of the other ones, but I'm sure I will devour these in the coming months.
Is there a website where I can read some St. Dioscorus of Alexandria? Awesome! Wow, the Philokalia completely online. Impressive. I already have a couple volumes of the Philokalia in book form, but this resource is good to know about. I will try to update this thread as I read along should I have any questions. I am definitely interested in reading some of the "old school" OO Church Fathers.
e: The book in that amazon link looks good too. Glad to see OO hold to deification.