The Philokalia

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Is the Philokalia promoted in Oriental Orthodox churches?

Comments

• It is not typically part of our tradition, but you will find some OOs reading it. Many OOs, even Monastics, have started integrating EO spiritual literature into their own practice.
  • [quote author=Severian link=topic=13579.msg158222#msg158222 date=1343517431]
    It is not typically part of our tradition, but you will find some OOs reading it. Many OOs, even Monastics, have started integrating EO spiritual literature into their own practice.

Are there particular issues that the OO take with the Philokalia, or is it just a case of it being something "other" and foreign?  Are there prominent OO theologians/bishops/monks that have written or talked about why it isn't part of your tradition?

I'm not necessarily a HUGE fan of the Philokalia.  I mean, there are some great writings in Volume 4, some really practical and applicable stuff.  But a lot of the centuries are beyond me.
  • While some of the writings of the Philokalia predate the schism of Chalcedon, Orthodoxwiki says:

The Philokalia—Greek for "love of the beautiful/holy/exalted"—was first assembled at Mount Athos by Ss. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain and Makarios of Corinth. The first edition was published at Venice in 1782

So, it is not a part of our tradition because it was not finally composed until well after the separation of the Churches. But as I said, the Philokalia, along with many other later EO Saints and Spiritual texts are being referred to by our own Churchmen, Hierarchs, and Monastics.
  • ??? What is/are the Philokalia?
  • [quote author=CopticFighter link=topic=13579.msg158226#msg158226 date=1343525096]
    ??? What is/are the Philokalia?
    http://orthodoxwiki.org/Philokalia
  • [quote author=Severian link=topic=13579.msg158225#msg158225 date=1343525058]
    But as I said, the Philokalia, along with many other later EO Saints and Spiritual texts are being referred to by our own Churchmen, Hierarchs, and Monastics.

Awesome.
  • ^I have read before that our own Holy Orthodox Monastic Fathers have read "The Ladder" by St. John Climacus for spiritual edification (especially in Armenia), not just nowadays, but historically as well. I know of several laypersons of my own Church who own "A Way of a Pilgrim." My own Priest has quoted Saint Theophan the Recluse. I plan on reading "Unseen Warfare" sometime soon, God willing. Many of our Hierarchs quote individuals like Maximus, the Damascene, and Gregory Palamas in theological works. I do not mind this per se, I just do not want our own OO people to forget that we have a great spiritual and theological tradition of our own, paved by our own venerable teachers and doctors.
  • [quote author=Severian link=topic=13579.msg158234#msg158234 date=1343538872]
    ^I have read before that our own Holy Orthodox Monastic Fathers have read "The Ladder" by St. John Climacus for spiritual edification (especially in Armenia), not just nowadays, but historically as well. I know of several laypersons of my own Church who own "A Way of a Pilgrim." My own Priest has quoted Saint Theophan the Recluse. I plan on reading "Unseen Warfare" sometime soon, God willing. Many of our Hierarchs quote individuals like Maximus, the Damascene, and Gregory Palamas in theological works. I do not mind this per se, I just do not want our own OO people to forget that we have a great spiritual and theological tradition of our own, paved by our own venerable teachers and doctors.

I'd love to know what sort of  spiritual literature comparable to the PhilOkapia and others you mentioned are peculiar to the OO tradition.
  • Agape,

The Philokalia is promoted in ALL churches. It serves as a very important spiritual guide and explains the theological foundations of orthodox spiritual beliefs and concepts, especially against gnostic and psuedo-spiritual guides of the past (which are still present in the New Age movements and self-help guides today).

Since the Philokalia is a very complex book to read -- you could literally spend 2 hours figuring out and thinking about one century among the hundreds found in there by the various Church Fathers -- I highly suggest getting a hold of this very recently published book (it came out 4 days ago!):

The Philokalia: A Classic Text of Orthodox Spirituality

http://www.amazon.com/The-Philokalia-Classic-Orthodox-Spirituality/dp/019539027X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343572659&sr=8-2&keywords=bradley+nassif

There are contributors in this book from the Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant (and Anglican) denominations.
  • [quote author=Severian link=topic=13579.msg158234#msg158234 date=1343538872]
    ^I have read before that our own Holy Orthodox Monastic Fathers have read "The Ladder" by St. John Climacus for spiritual edification (especially in Armenia), not just nowadays, but historically as well. I know of several laypersons of my own Church who own "A Way of a Pilgrim." My own Priest has quoted Saint Theophan the Recluse. I plan on reading "Unseen Warfare" sometime soon, God willing. Many of our Hierarchs quote individuals like Maximus, the Damascene, and Gregory Palamas in theological works. I do not mind this per se, I just do not want our own OO people to forget that we have a great spiritual and theological tradition of our own, paved by our own venerable teachers and doctors.

I am so glad you know of Theophan the Recluse!  All of his stuff is excellent.  I am also impressed that your Hierarchs quote Maximus and Palamas.  *thumbs up*

Suggest to me some good OO theologians/writers/monks/Saints to read and I'd be glad to do so.
  • saint anthanasius on the life of saint antony and saint athanasius' work on the psalms.
    anything translated by pope shenouda 3rd (our much loved patriarch who has now departed). he references a lot of other sources as well and writes simply so people like me can understand!
    i can't give u links right now as it's been a long week and it's late in my time zone...
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=13579.msg158247#msg158247 date=1343597303]
    saint anthanasius on the life of saint antony and saint athanasius' work on the psalms.

I've read his life of St. Antony, but I will have to check out his writings on the psalms.

Thanks!
  • Well, to get you started, there are the writings of OO Fathers like Sts. Severus of Antioch, Saweres Al-Ashmonein, and Philoxenus of Mabbug/Hierapolis, which can be read on this webpage. There are also the writings of other medieval Coptic writers like Bulus El-Bushi.

Here's a PM I received on OC.net a while back which directed to me the writings of some Arabic Church Fathers:

Hi Severian,

I only saw Bishop Bulus el-Bushi from a book about Theosis, and this is the only translation I know.  If you know how to read Arabic, I'm sure the next time you travel Egypt, you might be able to get some of these writings for yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/Partakers-Divine-Nature-Development-Deification/dp/0838641113/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I19C155A9NRFC3&colid=1GOZKWJ8AF89N

As for other writers, http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/ seems to be adding more Arabic fathers year by year, and there are some anti-Islamic ones there.

Coptichymns published the canons of Awlad el Assal here:

http://www.coptichymns.net/module-library-viewpub-tid-1-pid-533.html

And I read this one a long time ago.  A Christian/Muslim debate of the 12th Century:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/christ-muslim-debate.asp

And that's the extent of the Arabic Church fathers I know.  I hope more can be translated in the future.

God bless.

Also, though not an official OO text, the full text of the Philokalia can be read here.

• [quote author=Severian link=topic=13579.msg158396#msg158396 date=1343873076]
    Well, to get you started, there are the writings of OO Fathers like Sts. Severus of Antioch, Saweres Al-Ashmonein, and Philoxenus of Mabbug/Hierapolis, which can be read on this webpage. There are also the writings of other medieval Coptic writers like Bulus El-Bushi.

Beautiful.  I am looking forward to reading some St. Severus and St. Philoxenus.  Haven't heard of the other ones, but I'm sure I will devour these in the coming months.

Is there a website where I can read some St. Dioscorus of Alexandria?

Hi Severian,

I only saw Bishop Bulus el-Bushi from a book about Theosis, and this is the only translation I know.  If you know how to read Arabic, I'm sure the next time you travel Egypt, you might be able to get some of these writings for yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/Partakers-Divine-Nature-Development-Deification/dp/0838641113/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I19C155A9NRFC3&colid=1GOZKWJ8AF89N

As for other writers, http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/ seems to be adding more Arabic fathers year by year, and there are some anti-Islamic ones there.

Coptichymns published the canons of Awlad el Assal here:

http://www.coptichymns.net/module-library-viewpub-tid-1-pid-533.html

And I read this one a long time ago.  A Christian/Muslim debate of the 12th Century:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/christ-muslim-debate.asp

And that's the extent of the Arabic Church fathers I know.  I hope more can be translated in the future.

God bless.

Awesome!

Also, though not an official OO text, the full text of the Philokalia can be read here.

Wow, the Philokalia completely online.  Impressive.  I already have a couple volumes of the Philokalia in book form, but this resource is good to know about.  I will try to update this thread as I read along should I have any questions.  I am definitely interested in reading some of the "old school" OO Church Fathers.

e:  The book in that amazon link looks good too.  Glad to see OO hold to deification.