The Canonical Hour

While we are reading the Gospel of the Canonical hours (Agbeya) during the liturgy, why don't we read it in tune?
Also, do we pray the 9th hour during Lent since it is a fast?

Comments

• In many churches they do read the Gospel in the tune.

And on weekdays in Lent (Mon-Fri), all of the hours are prayed prior to the liturgy. That includes the Veil in monasteries. On Saturdays and Sundays in Lent, only the 3rd, 6th and 9th hours are prayed.
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=12973.msg152553#msg152553 date=1330383189]
    In many churches they do read the Gospel in the tune.

And on weekdays in Lent (Mon-Fri), all of the hours are prayed prior to the liturgy. That includes the Veil in monasteries. On Saturdays and Sundays in Lent, only the 3rd, 6th and 9th hours are prayed.

So next time I am asked to read it, should I read it in tune?

May I ask why do we add the extra hour for Saturday and Sunday and why add all the others for weekday?
  • Copticandproud, the gospels in agpeya are done soo fast that the tune sounds like it is a reading.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12973.msg152556#msg152556 date=1330386420]
    Copticandproud, the gospels in agpeya are done soo fast that the tune sounds like it is a reading.

Really? Because I was asked to read one the other day and I asked if I should read it in tune and they said, "No, just read it normally!".
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12973.msg152557#msg152557 date=1330386661]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12973.msg152556#msg152556 date=1330386420]
    Copticandproud, the gospels in agpeya are done soo fast that the tune sounds like it is a reading.

Really? Because I was asked to read one the other day and I asked if I should read it in tune and they said, "No, just read it normally!".

they probably didn't know, or trying to save time