Salvation

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I have been asked by a protestant 'friend' about how we, as copts, view salvation and if we think that protestant are going to be saved? I know that it is not us that judge. It is God, for indeed he is the ultimate judge, but I would like to know what is our views on this issue or at least how should I reply.

Comments

• I would suggest that you read Pope Shenouda's books on Protestantism as a useful place to begin to understand the Orthodox view.
  • I was planning on to, but it is going to take me time till I get my hands on them, so would you help me with this issue untill I get the books?
  • There is an excellent article about the Orthodox conception of salvation in the Orthodox Study Bible. You can read the excerpt here:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=KAh2OOGPsMMC&pg=PA1529&lpg=PA1529
  • It is sad that some Protestants say if you believe in Jesus and continue to believe in Him then you will be saved even if you live all your life in sin that is a complete mockery of Gods character but if a Protestant lives in sin because he has no power to live righteously and he believes in Jesus who knows perhaps he will be saved only if God does not believe it is reasonable for Him to join a apostolic church in this generation but the church protecting its trust can not say they will
    Whoever does not take his cross is not worthy of Me says Jesus
    Not everyone who says to Me Lord Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven

It is quite vague if whoever means anyone without the church when it says God do loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believeth in him should not perish but have eternal life
    However I think Protestants may have the ability to live righteously otherwise you can not blame them for theft which seems silly

• You can download them online for free
  • Comparative Theology

http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/Comptheo/index.html

Salvation in the Orthodox Concept

http://patrologicaltheology.com/uploads/2/8/5/6/2856126/salvation_in_the_orthodox_concept.pdf

The Heresy of Salvation in a Moment

(Where is it? I have never found this online anywhere)
  • Thank you Father Peter... You saved me a great deal of work...
  • The only reason we need the body and blood of Christ is because it is supposed to be life giving and give power over sin we must not hold laws and expect to be saved from them even if it had no value such as circumcision for salvation is a free gift and we do not earn it by empty rituals not saying Eucharist is so God does not want us to think because we fast twice a week even though we do not want something from God that this is why we are saved because God does not want to burden us with laws but the moral laws are required for salvation
    The only reason an unbeliever must believe in Jesus is because he does not fulfill all the moral requirements of God if He did He would not need to receive Jesus from the heart because Jesus is the saviour from sin and without Him we can do nothing but God understands if the way has not been prepared for them to receive Jesus and will give them grace
    We must not make our own rules and neglect justice mercy and faith for we must accept all the strangers and pray for them
    Sorry for rambling and insisting you see this