First Time at the Monastery...

2»

Comments

• No mar mar im not kidding lol probably used it for self defense or something
  • [quote author=✞Je Nai Nan✞ link=topic=12825.msg150895#msg150895 date=1327161589]
    I'm still  in middle school :) I'm planning on leaving with my brother, 2 of my friends from church and our Priest :) But since it seems like there will be so much people I'm stuck on when to actually go ??? Who recommends the summer ???

being that you are young and this is your first time, you don't have much choice. just follow your priest since you are going with him. that is actually better for the first time someone is there--you have some people you know ya3ny who will guide you. then when you are there, you can begin knowing the monks and becoming close tot hem.
  • [quote author=avvakaras link=topic=12825.msg150897#msg150897 date=1327161787]
    No mar mar im not kidding lol probably used it for self defense or something

yes....there are a lot of snakes around that area.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12825.msg150884#msg150884 date=1327151502]
    [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12825.msg150879#msg150879 date=1327141537]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12825.msg150856#msg150856 date=1327097291]
    [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12825.msg150855#msg150855 date=1327096865]
    is there a monastery where women can work on a farm too?
    that would be a great way to spend a week or two.

there are two new convents, one in San Antonio TX and another in Ohio. I am sure after sometime they'll get to that point. But, i have heard that retreats in convents (led my nuns of course) is much stricter in dealing with girls who go there for retreats. ya3ny texas monastery accepts church retreats lead by priests with girls, couples who are married and girls if with their family or brother. but of course, the monks don't spend much time with them. they don't watch over them.

What a pity. I understand that for girls there are other rules and that monks don't spend much time with girls, partly to avoid temptation(some monks don't even want to see girls or women), but I find it quite unfortunately. Men can do everything, women can not! :(  Altough I don't live in Texas, or any other country where are convents/monasteries, I always wanted to spend a time there.

"Men can do everything"...that is not really the case. we are simply governed by different rules. I don't see the problem in this really.

Once I was in Anba Maqar-monastery (tariek masr-Iskandreya, in Egypt) and there was such a cute monk! He was the one who came to me and talked to me and gave me spiritual advice and he seemed to deal with as well as guys as with girls.

giving advice is not a prob. many monks do that even brothers sometimes--depending how social can they be.....each person as he can handle in his way towards monasticism or within it.

But I really would like to spend a while in such a monastery to experience a great, quite, blessed time there.
    Does anyone know if and where there in Egypt there are any monasteries where it is allowed for girls to spend there a couple of days????????

I can't say for sure but i really really doubt it.

Abu safeen for the nuns is awesome. I visited there but couldnot stay because I am male ;) you guys have your advantages too...
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12825.msg150900#msg150900 date=1327162402]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12825.msg150884#msg150884 date=1327151502]
    [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12825.msg150879#msg150879 date=1327141537]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12825.msg150856#msg150856 date=1327097291]
    [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12825.msg150855#msg150855 date=1327096865]
    is there a monastery where women can work on a farm too?
    that would be a great way to spend a week or two.

there are two new convents, one in San Antonio TX and another in Ohio. I am sure after sometime they'll get to that point. But, i have heard that retreats in convents (led my nuns of course) is much stricter in dealing with girls who go there for retreats. ya3ny texas monastery accepts church retreats lead by priests with girls, couples who are married and girls if with their family or brother. but of course, the monks don't spend much time with them. they don't watch over them.

What a pity. I understand that for girls there are other rules and that monks don't spend much time with girls, partly to avoid temptation(some monks don't even want to see girls or women), but I find it quite unfortunately. Men can do everything, women can not! :(  Altough I don't live in Texas, or any other country where are convents/monasteries, I always wanted to spend a time there.

"Men can do everything"...that is not really the case. we are simply governed by different rules. I don't see the problem in this really.

Once I was in Anba Maqar-monastery (tariek masr-Iskandreya, in Egypt) and there was such a cute monk! He was the one who came to me and talked to me and gave me spiritual advice and he seemed to deal with as well as guys as with girls.

giving advice is not a prob. many monks do that even brothers sometimes--depending how social can they be.....each person as he can handle in his way towards monasticism or within it.

But I really would like to spend a while in such a monastery to experience a great, quite, blessed time there.
    Does anyone know if and where there in Egypt there are any monasteries where it is allowed for girls to spend there a couple of days????????

I can't say for sure but i really really doubt it.

Abu safeen for the nuns is awesome. I visited there but couldnot stay because I am male ;) you guys have your advantages too...

I went there one time, but didn't have the oppurtunity to explore it really. Hahaha, indeed, that's the advantage of being female :)
    But may I know what you find awesome of it? I find it a big blessing too (Abu sefeen and Om Irini) but as I said, didn't explore it much.

Can someone tell me about Abu sefeen convent?
  • I visited there twice. It was full of spiritual and natural beauty. The first was before om Irini passsed away but I didnot get to see her :( I think she was really sick when we visited. The second time, I didnot get to explore it as much because only females are allowed to go beyond a certin point but we had a small talk with an old nun. It was a great a blessing. They all had a great peace in them. I sat in the corner and contemplated for a while. I thought it was the best contemplation I ever had... I also bought a small plant from their shop. I still have it till now. It was an awesome experiance. I would definitely go again if I had a chance...
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12825.msg150906#msg150906 date=1327167542]
    I visited there twice. It was full of spiritual and natural beauty. The first was before om Irini passsed away but I didnot get to see her :( I think she was really sick when we visited. The second time, I didnot get to explore it as much because only females are allowed to go beyond a certin point but we had a small talk with an old nun. It was a great a blessing. They all had a great peace in them. I sat in the corner and contemplated for a while. I thought it was the best contemplation I ever had... I also bought a small plant from their shop. I still have it till now. It was an awesome experiance. I would definitely go again if I had a chance...

:)
  • [quote author=Timothym link=topic=12825.msg150834#msg150834 date=1327044156]
    To download hymns, go to the media tab at the top left of the page. Under it there is an option for liturgies, hymns of feasts etc. So lets try it together. Go to media, then scroll down and click liturgies. The first option on the list is Fr. Anthony Hanna's St. Basil Liturgy. Left click the title. Then you will see Track01 and Track 02 with a "download" button beside it. Simply click the download button and accept it to download. You can download up to 20 selections per day. God bless! Let us know if you're still having trouble.

^^ I tried wat you wrote but it logs me out automatically when I click on anything in the media tab. It says "You must
    register or sign in" when I click download.

Are you signed in when you try to download hymns??

Yes, i make sure to sign but some how it signs me out automatically when I leave the page after I sign in.