I am here before you: I took refuge in you

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
This verse has always confused me. You can find it in Psali Adam on Second Hoos aka my heart and my tounge... Would anybody explain it to me?

Comments

• It is always best to look at the original Coptic text instead of the Arabic.

The Coptic says Yc hyppe anok@ eievwt harok@ agia `triac... which means "Lo, behold, I, I take refuge in you, O Holy Trinity...."

Big difference from the Arabic. And it clarifies the meaning tremendously. Don't you agree?
  • Oh, that makes sense. I may have sounded stupid but where I am from almost nobody uses this connotation for the word before and yes understanding Coptic helps a lot except that I am not as good as you guys in translating Coptic. I can read but not translate. I would love to though... I started going on  Remnkemi, the website, but I am lost and donot know where to start from... I would appreciate it if someone can help me...
  • Don't start with remenkimi website. Start with Sameh Younan's book "So you want to learn Coptic". And the most important thing to do is keep asking questions. I assumed the translation was correct until you asked. Asking opens doors for the person asking and the person answering and people silently observing. Keep on asking Coptic questions.
  • Thanks a lot :) Do you know if this book is online somewhere or where I can get it from?
  • You can get a sample here. You can click on the link "Find in a library" and you may find it that way. Or if you want to purchase it, contact Hany Takla at stshenouda.com. Don't use Amazon because Amazon adds a 20% surcharge for Hany to supply the book.