Greek Hymns during Feasts

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
KOLA SENA WINTO TAYIBEEN!!!

I have a question...why is it or what is the reasoning for having so many hymns that are Greek, specifically on Feasts such as Nativity we say E-parthenos and Jenelthion which are Greek. In the Resurrection Khristos Anesti, Ton Seena, Tolithos are Greek Hymns. So can anyone give me background to why the church fathers incorporated them into our Rites?

Comments

• [quote author=I Believe link=topic=12782.msg150071#msg150071 date=1325951071]
    KOLA SENA WINTO TAYIBEEN!!!

I have a question...why is it or what is the reasoning for having so many hymns that are Greek, specifically on Feasts such as Nativity we say E-parthenos and Jenelthion which are Greek. In the Resurrection Khristos Anesti, Ton Seena, Tolithos are Greek Hymns. So can anyone give me background to why the church fathers incorporated them into our Rites?

imikhail will give a whole lecture about how they are not supposed t be there and all of that.

BUT, having anything in greek in general incorporated in our Church is simply because Greek was the universal language for a long time when these liturgies were written. In fact, some liturgoes were originally written in Greek than translated into coptic then arabic. This is no a big deal--Greek Coptic, they are all languages that, as humans living in the world, we need to communicate with. What matters is the language of the heart--the one that God only hears.