Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever.

edited January 2012 in Faith Issues
Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever"

This verse confused me a little.

Yesterday signifies before time began and forever, until the end of time. But, what about the incarnation?! Jesus at one point took human flesh and became man! Isn't that a change?!

Or does that mean that Jesus was always the Incarnate God before He came on earth and took flesh from the Virgin Mary???

Or does this verse have nothing to do with the Incarnation and is simply saying that the attributes of God (love, mercy, compassion..) never change.

Comments

• This verse, also chanted as part of the festive verses of the cymbals, refers to the attributes of God.
  • [quote author=Christs' servant link=topic=12766.msg149853#msg149853 date=1325566967]
    Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever"

This verse confused me a little.

Yesterday signifies before time began and forever, until the end of time. But, what about the incarnation?! Jesus at one point took human flesh and became man! Isn't that a change?!

Or does that mean that Jesus was always the Incarnate God before He came on earth and took flesh from the Virgin Mary???

Or does this verse have nothing to do with the Incarnation and is simply saying that the attributes of God (love, mercy, compassion..) never change.

The verse is talking about the divinity of the 2nd Hypostasis. The Divinity never changes.

Taking a form of man did not change the divinity of the Son as we say in the liturgy:

"I believe, I believe, I believe and confess to the last breath that this is the life-giving Flesh that Your only-begotten Son, our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ, took from our lady, the Lady of us all, the holy Theotokos, Saint Mary. He made It One with His divinity without mingling, without confusion, and without alteration."