How do i deal with classmates?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
In the name of the Holy Father, and the Holy Son, and the Holy Spirit, One God Amen!

Hello everyone,

I have this one class in my school that lasts for three hours and during those three hours, i find myself getting so fustrated and annoyed with what goes on in there.

Most of the students in that class do not listen to what the teacher says and basically do what they what like curse out loud(say the Lords name in vain), play their music, and walk around the classroom.

This makes me so annoyed because i dont feel like i can focus on my work because of the noise level and immaturity that takes place in there. If you were to go in that classroom you would most likely find me isolated with a fustrated look on my face. I'm not a very extroverted person.

I want to have a positive Christian impact on the people i meet, but i feel like they think i feel like im better then them or stuck up or too extreme. How can i be a light in such a situation where i feel so annoyed, when the people around me are talking about drugs and sex in most of their conversations, and say things about God? I really dont look forward to that class, and feel like that class brings down my day and it effects me mentally.

May God grant you the grace to help me with this and bless you all!

Pray for me a sinner.

Comments

• I really suggest you read this wonderful article/passage by St Theophan the Recluse on anger. It seems very relevant to your situation.

‘Let not the sun go down upon your wrath: neither give place to the devil’ (Eph. iv. 26-27).

"The devil has no access to the soul, if the soul itself harbours no passions. In such a state it is transparent and the devil cannot see it. But when it admits the movement of a passion and consents to this movement, it becomes darkened and the devil sees it. He approaches it boldly and assumes control over it. Two evil passions principally trouble the soul–lust and irritability. When the devil means to captivate someone through lust, he leaves him alone in this turmoils: the devil does not bother him any more, except perhaps to disturb him a little with anger. But if a man does not give in to lust, the devil hasten to incite him to anger, and gathers round him a quantity of irritating things. A man who fails to discern the devil’s wiles allows himself to become annoyed at everything, permitting anger to master him, and so he ‘give place to the devil.’ But a man who stilfes every upsurge of anger resists the devil and repels him, and gives no place to him within himself. Anger ‘gives place to the devil,’ as soon as it is regarded as something just and its satisfaction is felt to be lawful. Then the enemy immediately enters the soul and begins to suggest thoughts, each more irritating than the last. The man starts to be aflame with anger as though he were on fire. This is the fire of hell; but the poor man thinks that he is burning with zeal for righteousness, whereas, there is never any righteousness in wrath (James i. 20). This is the form of illusion [prelest] peculiar to wrath, just as there is another form of illusion [prelest] peculiar to lust. A man who speedily overcomes wrath disperses this illusion and thus repels the devil as though by a strong blow in the chest. Is there anyone who, after extinguishing his anger and analysing the whole business in good faith, does not find that there was something wrong at the basis of his irritation? But the enemy changes the wrong into a sense of self-righteousness and builds it up into such a mountain that is seems as though the whole world would go to pieces if our indignation is not satisfied.

You say that you cannot help being resentful and hostile? Very well then, be hostile–but towards the devil, not towards your brother. God gave us wrath as a sword to pierce the devil–not to drive into our own bodies. Stab him with it, then, right up to the hilt; press the hilt in as well if you like, and never pull it out, but drive another sword in as well. This we shall achieve by becoming gentle and kind towards each other. ‘Let me lose my money, let me destroy honour and glory–my fellow-member is more precious to me than myself.’ Let us speak thus to each other, and let us not injure our own nature in order to gain money or fame."
  • I've always dealt with this problem, too. And I bet the whole time, you're just shaking your head at them and thanking God that you're not like them. lol

The most dangerous thing about this situation is thinking that you're better than these people. That, in my opinion, is one of the hardest things to control if you're a faithful Christian. I'm in the same position, and I'm starting to learn how to change my thoughts about these people. This, more than anything, will teach you how to humble yourself, and not be puffed up (not saying that you are). This is just the devil playing with you making you think that you're better than all these people.