Punishment of the original sin and salvation on the cross

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Something has always made me think was the punishment of the original and salvation on the cross I hope you can answer my question and forgive me for my ignorance. As we know in the Book of Genesis 3 Adam and Eve fell. The punishment God implied were as follows...
16 To the woman He said:
      “I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception;
      In pain you shall bring forth children;
      Your desire shall be for your husband,
      And he shall rule over you.”
17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’:
      “ Cursed is the ground for your sake;
      In toil you shall eat of it
      All the days of your life.

18 Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you,
      And you shall eat the herb of the field.

19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread
      Till you return to the ground,
      For out of it you were taken;
      For dust you are,
      And to dust you shall return.”
So to summarize women will have great pain during birth and we have to work for our food, life will be very hard and in the end we will die. Christ came and died for us on the cross and we have salvation. So my question is why is it that, even after Christ died for us, we are still "paying the price." We still have to toil in life, we still have hardship, we still die. Wouldn't salvation mean we do not have to serve the punishment anymore. But yet again as I am typing this popped into my head, death is not necessarily "death" anymore after Christ so the punishment of death I would understand isn't a punishment anymore but what about the toil and hardship?

Comments

• When Adam and Eve fell, the world fell along with it. So, the animals became enemies to man, the earth as cursed to grow thistles and most of all Satan became the ruler of man.

Christ came to restore eternal life to Adam. However, the consequences of sin remained. The world is still under the curse.