Authorship of Hebrews

13»

Comments

• [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=11959.msg142402#msg142402 date=1312215504]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

I know about St. Athanasius' list from his 39th Paschal letter in 367. It is mentioned in the article I linked to you. As the article I linked to states:

The quotations in the writings of the Fathers that preceded St. Athansius established the canonicity.

The Councils confirmed St. Athansius canon and therefore was binding.
  • As was explained earlier, authorship is important because we cannot just accept a book being divinely inspired without knowing who authored it.

• [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11959.msg142294#msg142294 date=1312096550]
    Where can this quote from Origen be found?

http://www.amazon.com/Epistle-Hebrews-Commentary-International-Testament/dp/080282420X

Page 5 of the text. Click on the preview and scroll down about 4/5 of the way.
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=11959.msg142438#msg142438 date=1312260711]
    [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11959.msg142294#msg142294 date=1312096550]
    Where can this quote from Origen be found?

http://www.amazon.com/Epistle-Hebrews-Commentary-International-Testament/dp/080282420X

Page 5 of the text. Click on the preview and scroll down about 4/5 of the way.

Regardless of what Origen said, no person is above the Church and no person is infallible. The Church has spoken on this matter.
  • I agree with you on that, I was just supplying you with the source you asked for.
  • Thanks for the source, George.
  • That the character of the diction of the epistle entitled To the Hebrews has not the apostle’s rudeness in speech, who confessed himself rude in speech, that is, in style, but that the epistle is better Greek in the framing of its diction, will be admitted by everyone who is able to discern differences of style. But again, on the other hand, that the thoughts of the epistle are admirable, and not inferior to the acknowledged writings of the apostle, to this also everyone will consent as true who has given attention to reading the apostle…. But as for myself, if I were to state my own opinion, I should say that the thoughts are the apostle’s, but that the style and composition belonged to one who called to mind the apostle’s teachings and, as it were, made short notes of what his master said. If any church, therefore, holds this epistle as Paul’s, let it be commended for this also. For not without reason have the men of old handed it down as Paul’s. But who wrote the epistle, in truth God knows. Yet the account which has reached us [is twofold], some saying that Clement, who was bishop of the Romans, wrote the epistle, others, that it was Luke, he who wrote the Gospel and the Acts.

I have to give credit to Origen being one of the brilliant minds Christianity has ever had. Most great scholars borrowed from him and learned from his writings ... some of them were great saints like St. Athanasius, St Cyril, St. Gregory of Nyssa, St Basil.

With that being said, he was also excommunicated by the Church of Alexandria while he was still alive and later by the Church of Constantinople and the Church of Rome in the 6th century. Why do I bring this up? To set a perspective on whom should we trust as the source of our teachings.

In the above quote (emphasis is mine), Origen states his opinion and yet at the same time confirming the Tradition that had been received in the Church. St. Athanasius confirmed the Tradition received and professed a canon for the Church of Alexandria that was later accepted by all the Churches through the Council of Carthage.

In every liturgy, we ask St Athanasius' absolution. To disregard his canon(s) is a grave sin.

It is the same thing when your FOC gives you a canon, you disregard it and still come back and ask for his absolution  ... do you think this is possible? I call this hypocrisy.

We must hold fast onto the Traditions we have received, great or small. This is the way Orthodoxy defeated heresies and kept the faith pure.