Friend posted inappropriate images on social networking website

edited November 2011 in Personal Issues
Deleted

Comments

• "And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold." Matthew 24:12

I think we are at a time in the history of the World where everyone wants to sit on the fence. Everyone loves the grey area. Lawlessness is abounding. And as a result love is dying.

I don't think it's to do with reputation as much as it should do with how God sees YOU. If God sees YOU as a stumbling block to other Christians that are trying to get closer to him, then WOE to you!
    "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea." Matthew 18:6

If you CARE about GOD and don't want to upset HIM, then YOU would care about HIS precious SONS and DAUGHTERS that might sin because of your actions. It shouldn't be the reputation infront of others that you care about.. but the reputation in front of GOD!

I'll continue the verse above to give some motivation.
    "And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved." Matthew 24:12-13

What matters at the end is that YOU are right with God. Don't lose your spiritual life by over worrying about someone else's faults. "And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?" Matthew 7:3
    Pray for one another "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." James 5:16
    But never compromise your faith or belief because of your friends actions. Stay firm and hold onto Christ, because "he who endures to the end shall be saved." Matthew 24:13

God Bless
    Please pray for my weakness
  • [quote author=seekfirst link=topic=11855.msg141528#msg141528 date=1310693205]
    Should I surround myself with friends that won't take my advice?

Your friends should listen to you, and you to them. It doesn't necessarily mean that they'll take your advice 100% of the time, but if they're good friends and you know each other well enough, they should listen to and seriously consider what you say. A friend who is disrespectful of your personal convictions is not a friend you need to have.

On the other hand, am I being a judge?

What do you mean by this? Is there something wrong with judging another person's behavior as inappropriate? I can say honestly, because I am old and foolish enough to have been on all sides of these kinds of situations, that when it came to correcting my own behavior, sometimes the admonitions of my friends were the only thing that really helped me see the error of my ways.

Am I overanalyzing this?

I wouldn't think so. It bothers you, so you want to know how to deal with it. That seems normal to me.

Have we reached a point where this behavior is normal?

As a society, probably yes (I'm assuming you are in the West). But as you say, we are different than society. Society is not our benchmark.

Aren't we different than the rest of society?

We're supposed to be, yes. It can be quite difficult to resist the pull of society. It seems that you are doing a better job than many if you are preserving your sense of proper Christian morality and trying to remind your friend of her own (whether she listens is another matter; you can't control another person's actions). This is good. Stay the course.

Remember what St. Anthony the Great predicted over 1500 years ago (echoing 2 Timothy 4:3), that "a time is coming when people will go mad and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, “You are mad, you are not like us.” You are seeing this with your friend, but rest assured that you've got your head on straight. Continue to pray that your friend see the light and becomes more modest in her sharing.
  • [quote author=seekfirst link=topic=11855.msg141528#msg141528 date=1310693205]
    Ok, so I'm really good friends with this girl who insists on posting innocent but inappropriate pictures on a social networking website (beach bikini photos). I've been telling this person to stop doing this for a couple of years now because I care about her reputation in front of others, even when it seems like she has no concern for her image whatsoever. This next part might sound a bit selfish and self-rightoues but since she is my friend, I feel that she is also ruining my image. This might sound very prideful and vain but i am anonymous so Its fine. I really care for my friend but she's too stubborn. Should I surround myself with friends that won't take my advice?

On the other hand, am I being a judge? Am I overanalyzing this ? Have we reached a point where this behavior is normal? Aren't we different than the rest of society?
    Pray for me a great sinner

Perhaps the question you be asking here is what the people here would think of you if they saw you had a friend posting these pictures. This to me seems to be more at the heart of the matter as far as your Spirituality is concerned.
  • You know, just delete your facebook. Really, it's a useless tool that's addicting, stick with oral and visual communication, not stupid social networking. Have a great life with friends, not in front of a stupid computer.
  • By definition, having used the term "inappropiate" identifies that it is not "innocent".

• edited October 2014