Faith vs. Religion

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Are you part of a religion (tradition, culture, etc.) or faith???

Jesus clearly rebukes the scribes and pharisees as in Mark 7:8-9, 13. Then in Colossians 2:8, "Beware lest anyone cheat you through empty philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ" and again 1 Peter 1:18. Romans 1:17 "For in it the righteous of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith"

Now another argument was that religion is 'man-made' and while it's a means to an end, it may lead one to become like the pharisees! E.g. an over zealous deacon, stops the service to correct the tune because one hazza was missed or rebukes another deacon for not following the exact church tradition. And then it all becomes about who 'knows the most' or has a higher rank.

While in 1 Corinthians 11:2 "Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions of my fathers." and similarly, in 2 Thessalonians 2:15 and 3:6

St Paul clearly tells us to walk in our churches traditions! And i am sure that not every single thing that Jesus preached, during his ministry,  was written down. Some things where just handed down from generation to generation-  some argue that this is very dangerous and can become like Chinese Whispers, i.e everyone just adds on something they like.

Our canons, traditions, doctrines,.., are all based on the Holy Scripture and Apostolic teaching.

Whats your opinon?

PPFM

Comments

• Well, if i am understanding you correctly, you are basically asking if it is okay to correct somebody during a hymn if they did it wrong. This is obviously a big no-no. If you have a problem with the way the hymn was said or somebody made a mistake then you should kindly point it out to them after the liturgy is done in private.
  • That is why we should be disciples and not teachers. Disciples of the Holy bible, disciples of holy men, disciples of the Church fathers, disciples of the holy books, disciples of the Church books.

In summary, we must be meticulous of where we get our information. I am not advocating to refute any teaching but humbly ask for sources of teachings that may sound new.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
  • Cephas, that quote is amazing.