How would the COC react to religiously offensive decisions?

Hello:

Lightening,Imikahail (many thanks for your reply on the end of Satan's access to heaven) and Cephas,thank you for all your insights in the thread "Did Adam really know what death is?". For some reason,the thread is in the invisible mode. I can only access it by clicking on my name to see my last posting.

New York state voted 'aye' on gay marriage. But,the issue caused a rift between the Roman Archbishop and the governor of NY who happens to be a Catholic.The Archbishop of NY and his allies from the Vatican are contemplating of denying the governor of NY from receiving holy communion to punish him for his support of marriage equality and misleading the faithful. Never minding the hypocrisy that is rampant in the Catholic church, church and state in the US are officially kept as separate entities.

However,my question is how would the COC or HG Bishop David or other general US bishops react, if the governor happened to be a Copt who would just follow his political party's line and policy  (rather than his own) and supports an issue that is religiously offensive and serious sin in the sight of God? Would they be facing some sort of canonical consequences?

Comments

• Well there are hardly many frequent opportunities for Copts to become governors  ;D

• People are begining to do politics.My church has fundraised for someone contesting local municipial elections.I think they rise through their party's ranks to become a governor or a senator or even a president.
  • "It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones." Luke 17:2. Also look at Matthew 18:6 and Mark 9:42
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. - Matthew 6:24

No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. - Luke 16:13

For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. - Galatians 1:10
  • Cuomo, the Governor of NY, is divorced.  He is already separated, by that fact, from the Sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church.
  • [quote author=Mozes link=topic=11760.msg140588#msg140588 date=1309482449]
    People are begining to do politics.My church has fundraised for someone contesting local municipial elections.I think they rise through their party's ranks to become a governor or a senator or even a president.

First Coptic President of the United States of America.
  • I'm very jaded on the question of politics; governments only serve the interests of big businesses not the common man.  There are some Copts in Australia who are involved in a Christian political party and they spend their time protesting Carbon Taxation and the sale of power plants; things which have nothing to do with Christianity.

That they would even think to protest against carbon tax made my blood boil a bit; there is a prophecy by the Greek saint St. Cosmas - A time will come when men will suffer because they do not love trees.

If you get involved then you get into the same cycle because you need businesses to sponsor you and so you need to make concessions to their demands, there are also no genuine Orthodox Christian parties to vote for.

We don't seem to think much about equitable social policy like helping to ease the world food crisis; things are only getting tougher for the poorest of the poor and its mostly to do with people like us in first world countries.  I am so glad that we as Orthodox Christians fast because it makes a huge difference.

What seems to happen in Australia is that a political party will offer to stop abortion or euthanasia and then with the votes they get will pass some horrible laws restricting workers rights or cutting health care funding.

One thing we need to be aware of is that when the anti-Christ does come - he will at the very least give the guise of fixing all these problems.  He will fill our bank accounts with money, bellies with food and put cars on our driveways.  Remember the anti-Christ is not someone against Christ per-se he is a substitute that the devil will use to try and replace Christ in our lives.

The place where there is total justice, total equity and morality is in the Kingdom of God and God so help us if we ever believe that our earthly governments can be any kind of substitute.

Please pray for me,

LiD
  • LiD,thanks for your views.

The feedback I got sofar suggests that an Orthodox christian should not pursue politics at all or they will lose focus on God. I think,this idea sounds very scary.
  • It seems to me that there is a difference between being concerned with politics, which is to do with the way our society is organised, and becoming a politician, which is a different matter.

If Christians are not concerned with politics then they are not concerned with society, which does not seem to me to be proper. But this is different to being narrowly associated with party politics and the general corruption that is usually involved in such affairs.
  • It's hard to be a politician and not lie.
    It's hard to be a politician and not be a thief.
    It's hard to be a politician and not abuse that power.

I have yet to find an exception to the rules.
  • ILSM, certainly some confirmation bias applies here, given the number of politicians that are out there. I wouldn't expect to hear too much from the way of the honest ones.
  • A refrain:  There are no honest politicians.  They are all disgraceful liars.
  • However,my question is how would the COC or HG Bishop David or other general US bishops react, if the governor happened to be a Copt who would just follow his political party's line and policy

Some the early holy fathers has opposed  kings and emperors  for their grieve actions with great courage. St. John the baptist case could be considered as an  example, he publicly opposed Herod for taking his brother's wife.
  • I don't think we can guess how any particular bishop would react. Although I wonder if this hypothetical Coptic Orthodox politician would be excommunicated if he votes against the church's doctrine?

• I don't think we should have anything to do with politics. Jesus didn't say to the Apostles become a politican and this will be the way we'll build our church. No, I think we should stay autonymous (independant). Politicans try to please people and these things are for this world.