Suicide

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Please be honest.

Comments

• to be suicidal is to lose hope in your God and Savior who has given us life
  • Marenhos, there's more to it than that. I think it's more of a common thing than you would expect. Anyone can be tempted with a suicidal thought, just like with anything else.
  • I was suicidal at one point in my life...almost followed through twice on those thoughts.  It's miserable.  Having a good support system of friends (or even one really close friend or two, it doesn't have to be many) and more importantly a good relationship with your Father of Confession will help a lot.
  • Not going to say I wasn't at a point, suicidal. Not going to say I wasn't at a point, very stupid, naive, ignorant, and arrogant. Not saying I'm not any of those things at this point in time; I'm still all of the above, just a little bit less so  ;)

Please, there is no hope except in God.

Psalm 142:51 - "I cry to you, O LORD; I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.""
  • Psalm 12/13

1How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?

How long will you hide your face from me?

2How long must I wrestle with my thoughts

and every day have sorrow in my heart?

How long will my enemy triumph over me?

3Look on me and answer, O Lord my God.

Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;

4my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,”

and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

5But I trust in your unfailing love;

my heart rejoices in your salvation.

6I will sing to the Lord,

for he has been good to me.

• My favorite psalm!  ;D
  • I never understood that psalm. 25 confuses me too.
  • it's david fighting with the thoughts that are in his head.
    his enemies are (literally) trying to kill him, and he finds it hard to trust God in these circumstances.
    but he does what we all should do when we are a bit screwed up and tells God of his problem in the psalm.
    by the end of the psalm, his faith is restored and he praises God  :)
    gonna look up psalm 25 as well as i haven't memorised it!  :o
  • if you mean 24/25 it's on the same theme ('to you, oh Lord, i lift up my soul').
    i'm sure there's more to say about it than that, but that's all i can say at the moment.
    i tend to make short comments on Bible verses.

if anyone wants some long comments (it's on the Holy Spirit in the old testament), there are some here, by father peter:
    http://britishorthodox.org/glastonbury-review/8/

maybe someone else wants to comment on the psalms, although it doesn't have to be that long!
  • I understand why David wrote psalm 12, but I don't understand why it's a favorite psalm among the youth. I hear people singing it all the time like it's the greatest hit since epouro. I guess what confuses me is why people love psalms about how God has forsaken us? I don't like that perspective at all, though I can see how the devil can make us think that way during our troubles. I think it's an evil thought, so why be reminded of it all the time when we're depressed? I'm surprised someone posted it on a suicidal thread :P
    A lot of the psalms start sad and end happy, but that one, I think, starts with a wrong thought, and ends happy. I don't think it's healthy.. I don't know.
    In the Prime hour, I feel more comfortable reading the psalms 5, 6, 8, 26, 62, 66, rather than the ones that say "destroy my enemies and lift me up because I am your king".

Psalm 25 starts off with "Judge me O Lord for I have walked in my innocence". I always get assigned that psalm when the deacon passes them out during the Third Hour, then I always ask him to give me a new one. The psalm doesn't relate to me, and I feel almost boastful reading it. I'm just not comfortable with it.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=TITL link=topic=11357.msg137198#msg137198 date=1304431335]
    I understand why David wrote psalm 12, but I don't understand why it's a favorite psalm among the youth. I hear people singing it all the time like it's the greatest hit since epouro. I guess what confuses me is why people love psalms about how God has forsaken us? I don't like that perspective at all, though I can see how the devil can make us think that way during our troubles. I think it's an evil thought, so why be reminded of it all the time when we're depressed? I'm surprised someone posted it on a suicidal thread :P
    A lot of the psalms start sad and end happy, but that one, I think, starts with a wrong thought, and ends happy. I don't think it's healthy.. I don't know.

Psalm 25 starts off with "Judge me O Lord for I have walked in my innocence". I always get assigned that psalm when the deacon passes them out during the Third Hour, then I always ask him to give me a new one. The psalm doesn't relate to me, and I feel almost boastful reading it. I'm just not comfortable with it.

The Psalms give you an insight into the writers' personal relationship with God. They are so close to God that they can cry out to Him and say, 'Why have you abandoned me?' while knowing full well that God never abandons His children. How often have you felt like you've been abandoned by God? Never? I find that difficult to believe. I'm certain every person has felt like God has abandoned them. But the Psalmist doesn't stop there. His feelings of abandonment turn to praise in the end, clearly indicating that the problem is not with God, who is worthy of all praise and honour, and Who never abandons His creation, but with himself. The highest form of prayer if praise.

I think this Psalm is perfect for a thread about suicide, seeing as how suicide is often the result of deep seeded despair. No matter the situation, God is still worthy of praise and honour and worship. Prayer, in the end, transforms us; it does not somehow change God's mind. Through prayer, we learn to submit our wills to God's will, whatever it may be, and when we do, He pours His grace, peace and strength to help us overcome the situation.
  • I love that Psalm! It's not that its depressing, which it certainly isn't, it's that a lot of people can relate to it. Instead of saying, "Oh god we are great, you are great, life is good but it can be a bit better" it allows people to realize that others struggle as much as we do. It also allows us to trust in God, as we see he healed David's lack of faith at the end of the Psalm, we, ourselves, feel comfortable to tell God our problems and find it easier to accept his Love.
  • Liftmyheart said it pretty well.
  • i think that most people have the idea of suicide in their head . It is a horrible feeling & it really does suck ! But usually such thoughts are because God is not in our lives & i think that the only thing that can soothe one with such a mentality is by reading psalms and speaking to him. Going to tasbeha has always been my remedy for when i feel down

+mahraeel+