The Church on Disorders

I have a question regarding the Church's views on mental disorders, such as Social Anxiety.
First off, regarding the disorders, in what light does the church view them? I know many people consider disorders to be just passing stages where one simply needs to "man up" and deal with, but I know people who have really serious disorders. Does the Church believe that it is ok to see a therapist regarding such disorders? If not, how does the church say we cope with these disorders?

Comments

• This is a good question because a lot of people think that the Church is just the one-stop shop to all of your problems in life. its not! We go to Church to get closer to God by worshiping Him. The Church understands that people have problems and diseases. That does not mean that we have to get the Church's approval to see a doctor. On the contrary, the Church encourages people to take care of their bodies because these bodies are not our own, they belong to God. So we must take care of our bodies because it is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. Also when faced with any problems in life, we should ask the Giver of Life to guide us through prayer and reading the Holy Bible.

God Bless
  • Well put, Marenhos Epchois.

If I might add - the church never discourages anyone from seeing a therapist. However, one must also consult with their spiritual guide (FoC).
  • I see, thanks for the responses. What are your personal beliefs on therapists? I know that many people find them to be useless and visiting one is often seen as something to be ashamed of.
  • I saw a therapist for a few months because it was recommended to me; she was useless.  First of all, she couldn't really help me, all I did was vent...that helped for a while but I was not provided with solutions and I had already vented my problems to a couple close friends.  I had depression, but the source of my depression I discovered for myself (she couldn't figure it out) and there was no solution for it, she didn't tell me anything new about my condition.  When I told her what I thought the source of my depression was...even she admitted that there was no solution for it.  LOL maybe they'll work for you or whoever needs the therapist, but I found them to be pretty much useless.

As far as the feeling ashamed part, I still haven't told anyone except two people (close friends) that I was seeing a therapist.  I was kind of ashamed of it because there are people who think I'm legitimately crazy and I didn't want to confirm that view for them but in general, I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of.  Everyone is different I suppose.  Hope that helped at least a little bit.

Please keep me in your prayers.

[edit]: I will add also...the therapist was useless because I discovered that my depression was due to spiritual problems, so my therapist wouldn't have been able to help with that.
  • Why pay for a therapist when you can go to your FoC?  ;)

• [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11352.msg136938#msg136938 date=1304187246]
    Why pay for a therapist when you can go to your FoC?  ;)

LOL I actually didn't pay at all...it was part of my school insurance...I would never pay for a therapist lol but you're right :) my FOC is the best ;D
  • Therapists - The - Rapists. They are fairly useless and you have no idea what kind of moral values they have, stay away. As for Psychiatrists, they too can be frustrating at times but are needed.

I find that many of the Egyptians in church are very ignorant on the subject of mental illness, so do not say anything to them. Keep it between your FoC, your doctor, and maybe a few very trustworthy friends. In some cases it may even be good to keep it from your parents, if they are Egyptian. I do find that the clergy seems to be very sympathetic and compassionate, but some still do not seem to have a grasp on it, either way they are your best friend in this situation. It is also advisable to go to support groups. This enables you to associate with people like you, who understand what you deal with on a regular basis.

I myself have to deal with my problems alone, for the most part. I have Christ at least.
  • i think you (or whoever it is) should see your family doctor (who may recommend a psychiatrist or psychologist or neurologist, depending on the problem), and also speak to your confession father as well, as some of the problems may be spiritual.
    eg. if you are full of anger, it can cause social problems but the problem is spiritual.
    or if you have autism, it can cause social problems, but the problem is physical/neurological.
    so if you take advice from a family doctor and a priest, one or both of them should be able to help.

i, personally wouldn't suggest you see a therapist without seeing a doctor first, as it could be something more serious that needs pills, or something less serious that your doctor can reassure you is normal.
    eg. if you have moved house and church, your dad has died and you are sitting major high school exams and you have palpitations and feelings of loneliness, this would be normal, not any disorder. it would get better as you make friends in church and finish the exams.
    actually i gave an example nearly of myself without realising it, only it was my grandad that died (many years ago now). i did have counselling and it was fairly harmful, i just needed reassurance that it would get better with time! i also needed a different church, but that's another story!
  • Thanks for the responses, you guys are smart to figure out that it was me ;] I went to my FoC yesterday, and he basically told me that what I'm going through is most likely caused from hormonal imbalances and that I should see a professional (I feel crazy). What's worse is I think a couple people heard my confession, turned around and laughed.
  • That's not nice of them >:( it's ok.  Don't worry about it.  If your FoC told you to see a professional then you should.
  • [quote author=liftmyheart link=topic=11352.msg137622#msg137622 date=1304865315]
    Thanks for the responses, you guys are smart to figure out that it was me ;] I went to my FoC yesterday, and he basically told me that what I'm going through is most likely caused from hormonal imbalances and that I should see a professional (I feel crazy). What's worse is I think a couple people heard my confession, turned around and laughed.

Nothing that can be solved by a "professional" cannot be solved by God. He is the True Physician! If people laughed at your confession, I can only imagine what they would do at mine! They might leave the church because of shock. As for the priest who gave you that advice. . .that's a questionable FoC to say the least. Please do not think you are crazy, we all have our own little quirks.

God Bless you liftmyheart
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11352.msg137630#msg137630 date=1304889480]
    [quote author=liftmyheart link=topic=11352.msg137622#msg137622 date=1304865315]
    Thanks for the responses, you guys are smart to figure out that it was me ;] I went to my FoC yesterday, and he basically told me that what I'm going through is most likely caused from hormonal imbalances and that I should see a professional (I feel crazy). What's worse is I think a couple people heard my confession, turned around and laughed.

Nothing that can be solved by a "professional" cannot be solved by God. He is the True Physician! If people laughed at your confession, I can only imagine what they would do at mine! They might leave the church because of shock. As for the priest who gave you that advice. . .that's a questionable FoC to say the least. Please do not think you are crazy, we all have our own little quirks.

ok so hypothetical situation, (God forbid) you have cancer, are you going to refuse to see a doctor because God is the True Physician?? thats unreasonable! and just illogical... we must take care of our bodies since they are the Temples of the Holy Spirit. Just because a priest recommends someone to see a doctor does not mean he doesn't believe in the True Physician. but it means that humans have problems and they need to be solved as much as we know how while still asking God for His guidance
  • Thank you for your replies. I wouldn't question the FoC, he's a good guy,and he may be right; there may be some physiological irregularities in my body. I feel a little bit embarrassed , is all.
    Thank you for your concerns, pray for me.
  • don't worry, we are all a little bit strange.
    my friends often tell me 'some more than others', and then point at me!
    i don't mind, i am happily strange, it's no big deal
    ;)
  • [quote author=Marenhos Epchois link=topic=11352.msg137634#msg137634 date=1304892005]
    [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11352.msg137630#msg137630 date=1304889480]
    [quote author=liftmyheart link=topic=11352.msg137622#msg137622 date=1304865315]

ok so hypothetical situation, (God forbid) you have cancer, are you going to refuse to see a doctor because God is the True Physician?? thats unreasonable! and just illogical... we must take care of our bodies since they are the Temples of the Holy Spirit. Just because a priest recommends someone to see a doctor does not mean he doesn't believe in the True Physician. but it means that humans have problems and they need to be solved as much as we know how while still asking God for His guidance

Have I said anything incorrect, Marenhos Epchois? Anything that can be solved by any human can MOST DEFINITELY be solved by God. Do not make me sound like I am advocating never going to the doctor. Why have you made turned me into an extremist?

God has given people these gifts for our benefit. If I was talking about a physical injury, then you can bring up that silly example. I do not know what "hormonal imbalance" the priest thinks liftmyheart has but as a rule of thumb any psychological disorder is best dealt with in the Church. It is an issue of spiritual sickness at its core. Therapy and therapeutic drugs are a recent phenomenon. I am not saying one cannot go to see shrinks (see post below), but that they are secondary. I wouldn't tell someone who just got hit by a car that he should go to his FoC, then maybe the hospital. Do not confuse the body and the soul. And do not say something is "unreasonable! and just illogical" without understanding what I am saying.

• I was once recommended to seek professional help by a priest. But he wasn't my foc and it wasn't during a confession so I didn't listen. As it stands now I don't regret not listening. I trust God over lab coats.

Ironically, I'm trying to become a psychiatrist.
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=11352.msg137653#msg137653 date=1304913011]
    I was once recommended to seek professional help by a priest. But he wasn't my foc and it wasn't during a confession so I didn't listen. As it stands now I don't regret not listening. I trust God over lab coats.

Ironically, I'm trying to become a psychiatrist.

It doesn't get any more ironic than that, lol  :D
  • And what's more, there's not even another job out there that I would want to do nearly as much as this. All the other fields I'm interested in either a.) have no real jobs or b.) involve suicide (calc IV and similar classes).